* Author Topic: Two sacs but one empty...risk of miscarriage of healthy embryo?  (Read 856 times)

0 Members

Offline lefkada

Hi ladies
Looking for some reassurance. Had a scan yesterday 7+1 two sacs seen. One contains a beautiful healthy embryo. The other is empty but still growing. Shocked at the time but called the clinic back later and asked what will happen when my body realises that there is no embryo in one sac. I was told it could be re absorbed but I could also bleed and there is a risk of miscarriage of my healthy embryo :'(. Has anyone else had a similar experience. Feel really worried.

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline Sasha1973

Lefkada I had 3 embryos transferred and at my first scan (6+1) I had 3 sacs but only 1 baby and heartbeat, I was told the same as you that the other 2 could be reabsorbed or come away and bleed. 2 weeks later I went back for a scan and found that I now had 2 sacs and 2 babies and the other sac had been absorbed by my body with no bleeding whatsoever. I realise everyone's experience is different but mine was very positive so just wanted to share that with you. Try not to worry. When are you back for another scan?

Offline lefkada

Thanks Sasha
    The clinic have now discharged me back to the NHS so next scan is at 12 weeks...Dec 21st! Fingers crossed for reabsorption  ^pray^ The rollercoaser continues!

Offline Sasha1973

We were discharged back to the NHS then too and I was so impatient I couldn't wait so I booked and paid for a private scan  ;D there's always that option if you can't wait that long. Wishing you all the best for a happy and healthy 9 months

Offline lefkada

Thanks so much, and good luck with your twins..not long now x

Offline Faithope

• Gold Member
    • miracles happen more than once x
    Bear with me on my post as it may be long...

1st pregnancy was a twin pregnancy but I didn't know at the time (not IVF) had lots of bleeding but no epau at that time so was dismissed as mc. At 11weeks I had a scan and one baby, two sacs, gave birth at 40wks to one healthy baby and one mummified baby in the other sac.

5 th pregnancy was IVF, two babies at scan at 7wks, scan at 9wks there was one baby. Had no bleeding at all. Sac kept growing until 23 weeks, I had a big bump.

It doesn't mean mc. Hope this gives you hope xxx

Offline lefkada

Thanks so much faithope&j it really helps to hear stories like yours. X

Offline Bubbles12

• VIP Member Sponsor
    I had something similar only i had embryo's in both.

I lost a twin at about 8 weeks. I went for my NHS 12 week scan and we could just make out the 2nd sac so we assumed my body would absorb it. 6 days later i had a big bleed. I went for a private scan and we couldnt see any sac but we will never know if that bleed was due to the 2nd sac or not.

To think mind, there are thousands, if not millions of ladies that will go for a routine 12 week scan and see a healthy single pregnancy not knowing at that some point, she was actually carrying twins.

X