* Author Topic: Mini aspirin for IVF pregnancies  (Read 857 times)

0 Members

Offline nadia13

modify
Mini aspirin for IVF pregnancies
« on: 22/11/15, 19:46 »
Hi all,
I hope everyone is well.
I had my visit with the consultant on week 16 (it was with a consultant instead of midwife just because it is an IVF pregnancy) and she told me to start taking mini aspirin everyday till the end of the pregnancy because IVF brings more risks of preeclampsia. My blood pressure at the moment is even low but she said on paper they always give mini aspirin to all IVF pregnancy. Have you had the same direction ?
Thank you
Nadia

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline csp1975

modify
    « Reply #1 on: 23/11/15, 17:29 »
    Hi Nadia,

Yes I've been told to take baby aspirin for the whole pregnancy - did your clinic advise you otherwise? If so I would double check with them x

Offline Altai

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #2 on: 23/11/15, 18:22 »
    I've been told to take aspirin because am over 40 & it's my first child, and as such I have moderate risk of preeclampsia. But dont think it's given to all IVF pregnancies.
    I've stopped taking it for the time being  as not having easy go with blood thinning medication.
    Will see what consultant say this week.

Offline LV2079

• Un-Ranked
    modify
    « Reply #3 on: 29/11/15, 13:20 »
    I was on baby aspirin from before ET until 36 weeks. I had pre eclampsia in first pregnancy but took it for two reasons - my consultant said it reduces miscarriage risk and also reduces risk of pre eclampsia. I didn't get pre eclampsia second time around but did get high blood pressure.

Offline wishful82

modify
    « Reply #4 on: 5/12/15, 20:28 »
    Hi

If been on aspirin since 16weeks because I've got a twin pregnancy, at 30 weeks now. My gums bleed a bit when I clean my teeth though!

Offline Sashaj

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #5 on: 5/12/15, 20:52 »
    I've never head that ivf increases the risk of preeclampsia. Sorry but your doctor is talking rubbish! Can you ask about some research to back this up or ask for a second opinion? I have been on aspirin with both of my pregnancies but mainly because of  my age and this time because of twin pregnancy (plus few other factors).

It won't cause any harm taking it. However if you  are concerned about taking it and the only reason to take it is ivf then I wouldn't take it as I have never heard that ivf increase the risk of preeclampsia.

Good luck

Xxx