* Author Topic: Hysteroscopy Athens - Part 3  (Read 57960 times)

0 Members

Offline welshgal

modify
Hysteroscopy Athens - Part 3
« Reply #110 on: 18/02/16, 12:09 »
Hi Kathyliz, I can't offer any advice not had mine yet but I do hope that you feel better very soon xxx

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline Caz15

modify
    Serum Cycle Thread - March & April 2016
    « Reply #111 on: 18/02/16, 17:38 »
    I hope you're feeling better Kathy, otherwise maybe you should visit your GP, just in case you have an infection (hopefully not).

I had my first consultation with Penny today and she is lovely, just as everyone says. She seems quite keen for us to have another go with my eggs which has thrown me a bit after already doing a donor cycle. She's not so happy with the sperm though and we're waiting on fragmentation results. The pre-op was fine and only took about 45 mins. It's an early start tomorrow as we have to be at the hospital for 7am but I did overhear somebody being told they have a 6am start, so it could be worse!

Just one word of warning about the Alexandros. They are having some renovation work done at the moment so there was quite a lot of banging this morning from around 7.30am (5.30 UK time!). Not sure how long they'll be going on for but just thought I'd mention it. I think I'd mind more if I was here on holiday and it doesn't particularly bother DP but then he can doze through anything.

Caz xx

Offline A Burning Desire

modify
    « Reply #112 on: 18/02/16, 18:11 »
    Good advice to get checked out Kathyliz, for peace of mind.
    My hysto went ok, had to be there 08:30 so got off lightly it sounds.
    Bled quite a lot today, but that's kind of the point (for someone with poor lining issues)
    Been feeling fine, though just recently got some bad indigestion (can't read the leaflets for the tablets I took today so had to resort to Internet to check I can take my antacids).
    Have come away with a massive bag of meds. Serum never said they'd like cash for that so if not taken much extra (1000 being lots to carry around already!!)
    Hope you get on well tomorrow Caz
    I complained about smoke coming in my bathroom vents yesterday and now am in a newly finished room upstairs, very swanky  :)

Offline Caz15

modify
    Serum Cycle Thread - March & April 2016
    « Reply #113 on: 20/02/16, 15:47 »
    At the airport now, waiting for flight home. Hysto went ok although there was quite a lot of waiting about at the hospital beforehand. We were told to get there for 7am but I don't think I went into theatre until around 9am and was discharged around 11.45am. Penny said it was good that I had it as there was quite a lot of dead tissue around. Watching the DVD was pretty weird!

DP's sperm results are not good though, poor quality which Penny thinks is from infection and high fragmentation. We never had the fragmentation test before and knew numbers were a bit on the low side but had been told that what he had was good. So it's all a bit of a shock. He did start the sperm improving vitamins three months ago when we first got in touch with Serum, to try to make them good enough for freezing, but we were told that there probably wasn't much point him taking more antibiotics as he had so many with Dr G after testing positive for ureaplasma (which had gone on retesting). Penny has now said he should take 40 days of doxy and is optimistic that the quality will improve but I'm not feeling so positive.

We're in a bit of a quandary as to what to do to be honest. After years of thinking there might be a problem with egg quality it now looks like the main problem might be sperm although my age is now a factor. Penny doesn't seem keen to rule out OE despite us already having done a DE fresh cycle and FET. But the thought of going back to OE is just exhausting, particularly fitting it around work, and feels like we're reducing our chances. Penny did suggest a clomid banking cycle either with DP's sperm after doxy or donor sperm to improve our chances (and because DP is a carrier for CF and I don't know if I am) or go for double donor for best chances. But first of all she suggested we try naturally for a few months now that I've had the hysto and before we make a decision, but I only have one tube so on top of everything else the odds are not in our favour. Plus I was really ready to get going on another cycle so feel quite down even though we've found out some useful info that we didn't have before. Oh what to do...

Sorry for the me post, just needed to get it off my chest. 

I hope everybody else is ok.

Caz x

Offline Kathyliz

modify
    « Reply #114 on: 20/02/16, 16:08 »
    Wow Caz

That's a lot to get your head around.

I can relate to the sperm info. DH was already taking aspirin and Pregnacare vitamins but sperm wasn't too bad. Following the fragmentation test he's now on doxy and vitamins C & E for 40 days.

I've heard that she often suggests trying naturally after hystos. I've been told from the beginning that my eggs would be too old so we'd made peace with the idea of DE some time ago (although Penny does have success with OE cycles for 40+ ladies). We felt that everything flipped with the focus now being on hubby not me.

I'm guessing that when you've had some time to digest everything then hopefully you'll have a clearer idea of how you'd like to proceed. (I understand the problem of fitting treatment around work - I've resigned as work wasn't flexible enough). It might just happen naturally now and then you won't have to make any decisions! If it doesn't then you've got time to be absolutely sure how to move forward. Sorry not sure if that helps at all.

Have a safe flight back

Kathy x

Offline A Burning Desire

modify
    « Reply #115 on: 21/02/16, 10:10 »
    Thanks for the update Caz, a lot to take in. I agree with Kathy, maybe try to just process for a few days and see how you feel when back home. I often find that clinic appointments don't go the way I expect (and I do sit and run through what I think is supposed to happen, in my head a lot before I go, I'm an over-thinker ::) ).

Kathy - how are you feeling now? I have had some really bad indigestion since my op. I think it's probably the ABs she's put me on. She was going to go for more Doxy (I took a load through January) but decided on something 'stronger' instead  :o I'm not allowed any normal ant-acids like Rennie and have gone straight to a friends house in London for a party, instead of going home (where the Omeprazole is, for my stomach, left over from the last ABs ) so struggling a bit. The pain is bad and up around my ribs, which made me think of your comments, also bloated. Very tired but that may be cos I haven't made it home to chill out properly yet (party all day yesterday not helping). Hope you are feeling a bit better? Are you taking ABs and if so which ones?

Offline Caz15

modify
    « Reply #116 on: 21/02/16, 12:56 »
    Thanks for your comments Kathy and A Burning Desire. Yes, you're right, I need to process it all for a while and that's what DP suggests too. Funnily enough, I had gone into the appointment with a certain mindset. I had convinced myself that DP's sperm had improved and would be good enough for freezing for another DE cycle, which we'd start soon. I think Penny was quite surprised by the sperm results because the initial analysis didn't suggest that things were too bad. I just wish we'd had this all tested fully when we hopped on the IVF roller coaster four years ago but the UK clinics don't seem to go in for much testing, particularly on the sperm side; they're more inclined to tell you just to have another go and use DEs if it doesn't work.

I hope you're feeling better now Kathy and that your indigestion is easing A Burning Desire.  I'm on doxy for ten days and taking only the brown cyclacur pills as I had already ovulated before the hysto. I feel fine so far although I did have some heavy bleeding in the first few hours so, for anybody else about to embark on a hysto, I would definitely carry some decent towels around with you for the first few days, not least to replace the hefty surfboard-size one they give you at the hospital. The bleeding eased off by the first evening although I am still bleeding a couple of days later but so lightly now that you'd hardly notice. The only pain I had was when I first came round from the anaesthetic and that was nothing worse than a period cramp and it had gone before I was discharged a couple of hours later. I do feel quite bloated but that's easing, particularly now that I'm not quite so bunged up (sorry, probably tmi but it's normal to be constipated after an anaesthetic).

We had never been to Athens before and really liked the city. We found some great restaurants and cafes although a couple that we had picked out from our Lonely Planet pocket guide were closed, perhaps because it's still quite quiet at this time of year. We even managed a quick trip around the Acropolis yesterday morning before heading to the airport and wish we'd had longer to explore the museum. The city is huge so I'd recommend making use of the metro which is cheap and easy to use and watch out for the traffic, which hurtles past at a fair old speed. The weather was amazing and has done wonders for my chilblains which were sore and painful when we headed out. I got the impression that it's unusual for it to be so warm at this time of year and most of the locals were sticking resolutely to jackets but you really didn't need one, except perhaps for the evening and then a light jacket or cardigan was more than enough. We even saw one chap in a heavy tweed overcoat at the foot of the Acropolis while we were sweating in our long-sleeved t-shirts and sticking to the shady spots!

I was also quite pleased to find a Korres shop on one of the main shopping streets (Ermou). They had loads of fragrances that we don't get over here and for less than half the price so I now have more shower gel and body lotion than I know what to do with :-)

Good luck to everybody else going out. Penny is lovely and the hysto is fine. It is a bit strange being in a busy hospital where you can't understand the conversations around you and I didn't get the soothing talk and explanations from the nurses that I've been lucky enough to get in hospitals over here. It's all quite "wham bam thank you mam" but I had already read that's what to expect and was ready for it. The staff that I met were all perfectly nice, just efficient and silent for the most part, apart from the doctor who did the hysto, who introduced himself briefly after I'd put my gown on, and the porter who wheeled me back to the ward, who started chatting about football once he realised I was from the UK (and I know nothing about football!).

I wasn't quite sure what to expect at the pre-op, the afternoon before, and that consisted of giving some blood, a urine sample, having an ECG and answering a few questions about my health and fertility history (all done and dusted in 45 mins although I have read that it can take a couple of hours sometimes, depends how busy they are I guess, and which hospital you go to as I think there are a few (I was at Mitera)).

Caz xx

Offline Kathyliz

modify
    « Reply #117 on: 21/02/16, 18:43 »
    Hi Caz and a burning desire,

I'm interested to hear you say your ribs are hurting as mine were dreadful. It's been 12 days now and they're much better. We were surprised by DHs sperm results as our previous doc didn't have any concerns - I'm not sure he even tested it. It does make me wonder if any male Drs are less keen to find problems with sperm. We assumed we'd be freezing sperm but DH is now on doxy for 40 days plus vitamins. I was given stronger ABs - Prixina for 10 days. I've just finished white cyclacur and started the brown ones for 10 days. We've been given loads of doxy so I think both of us will be taking at some point.

We noticed that all the locals were wearing coats while we sunbathing. We're looking forward to being in Athens again ASAP and to loads more exploring. I think we'll have to go for 5 days next time so we should have a bit more time to look around.

Kathy X

Ps out of interest does anyone happen to know if Penny requires hcg bloodtests or hpts? (Sorry getting ahead of myself again)

Offline keyno1

modify
    « Reply #118 on: 22/02/16, 06:37 »
    Hi ladies
    Just after some advice please . I had a hysto about a month ago now and doing natural fet , I'm waiting to ovulate but as yet I have not . My cycles are normally 30 -32 days long so would of though I would of ovulated now as I'm on day 20 of cycle . Have any of you ladies found delays in your cycle / ovulation after your hysto . Really wish I had of done a medicated cycle as its getting all a bit stressful
    Hugs to all xxx

Offline mubee

modify
    « Reply #119 on: 22/02/16, 19:44 »
    Hi Ladies
    I am new on this thread and am in Athens, having Egg Collection and hysteroscopy on Wednesday. Egg tranfter will be next month. Does anyone know how long it takes to get your period after a Egg collection? thanks!