* Author Topic: Professor Quenby  (Read 70063 times)

0 Members

Offline klmch

modify
Professor Quenby
« Reply #40 on: 7/02/16, 10:31 »
Job1, no they are not the same. The blood tests I believe are for normal NK cells, which are part of the immune systems. Uterine NK cells are so-called because they look similar to NK cells but their role is not fully understood, they are not normal NK cells. Only the biopsy can measure uterine NK cells. I believe that some clinics and doctors think there is a correlation between numbers of the 2 types if cells, others think there is no correlation. Whether any of this stuff is really relevant is still not fully understood as the research is at early stage , and you will get different answers depending who you ask. For example, I had uterine NK cell biopsy done at Warwick with prof Brosens & I am choosing to follow their recommendations, but the Prof. That I saw recently in Oxford about my endo, who is very well respected, did warn me that NK and uterine NK research is a contentious area, and no one knows whether this research is heading anywhere. I'm not trying to dissuade you , as I've done it too, but just be aware that it's very complex and there are lots if differing opinions!!

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline Tincancat

• Gold Member
    modify
    Professor Quenby
    « Reply #41 on: 7/02/16, 10:46 »
    There is indeed lots of debate on this.  My belief is Professors Quenby and Brosens are at least trying to do some sound research and they don't rip you off in the process.  I'm happy to take part in research which will become published and peer reviewed.  It may all turn out to be nothing to do with NK cells whether it be uterine or blood.  But until valid research is done no one will know the answer.

There are plenty of clinics charging very high fees to do blood NK testing and making huge profits at our expensive.  The fees paid to private clinics does not go into research they just take advantage of others pilot research to make money.  Who knows what the answer is amd I'd rather my money go to research environment rather than to fund someone's new top of the range car every year.
    TCCx

Offline klmch

modify
    Professor Quenby
    « Reply #42 on: 7/02/16, 11:13 »
    I totally agree Tintincat, as you say at least Prof Quenby & Brosens are operating in a research environment and you know that they are genuine in their search for answers. I'd much rather give them the comparative,y small sum of money than pay for blood NK  testing which may be totally irrelevant! Also it does make sense to me that a uterine biopsy will give far better info about implantation than Nk cells circulating in the blood.
    The weird thing for me is that with my bad endo, I would have been sure I'd have high inflammation, but in fact it was really low!  Prof Brosens said that he'd seen a few endo ladies like that, which is very interesting to me!

Offline Job1

modify
    Professor Quenby
    « Reply #43 on: 7/02/16, 12:31 »
    Hi Kimch and Tincat,
    Thanks for your replies really helpful. I was since reading online and found a useful site which explained it under Homerton .nhs.uk about what is reproductive immunology.
    Its ok Kimch, you are not dissuading me, I will go for the biopsy with Prof Q and B, but as you say and I know there are loads of factors involved! So the process is not easy..

Are you struggling with Endo? I know of two people recently who have done specific treatment for endo and are now pregnant. Would you like some info for it?

Thanks guys xx

Offline klmch

modify
    Professor Quenby
    « Reply #44 on: 7/02/16, 14:03 »
    Hi job1, I do not know whether my endo has been the cause of all my BFN s, even DE, but is suspect there is a link. I find that IVF clinics tend to dismiss it especially with De, but I have seen some research that suggests endo affects implantation. Yes I'd love any info on what treatments your friends have had. I've had 2 x laps and don't intend to have any more treatment so am now trying bcp before my next FET as I've read that can suppress endo a bit!

Offline Job1

modify
    Professor Quenby
    « Reply #45 on: 7/02/16, 17:33 »
    Hi Kimch

A little bit of info for you:
    The ladies were on decapeptyl injection for 3 months before starting treatment. One ladie I know did have a laposcopy to remove the endo and she was on high steroids & intrallipids.
    Do you fibroids to be treated? If so do you know what sort?
    X

Offline Job1

modify
    Professor Quenby
    « Reply #46 on: 7/02/16, 17:35 »
    Kimch What is bcp?

Offline klmch

modify
    Professor Quenby
    « Reply #47 on: 7/02/16, 17:46 »
    Hi job1, thanks for the info. Bcp= birth control pill. There is evidence that using it for at last 6 weeks before IVF can suppress endo.... Well, we will see anyway.
    I've had 2 x laps but endo too much on bowel now to do anything more. Re steroids, the Quenby biopsy says my NK levels are early low, so no steroids for me but endo scratch recommended. I will look at decapeptyl though, worth asking about!! Thank you!

Offline Job1

modify
    Professor Quenby
    « Reply #48 on: 7/02/16, 18:14 »
    Hi kimch

That's good you are looking into everything. The ladies I mentioned have had numerous failed cycles or mc but then tried the decap inj and of course other meds and it worked for them.

Have you before your biopsy had previous cycles with lots of steroids?

I'm going to do the ovu kit in about 3wls then call for biopsy.
    You are similar to me in the amount of DE cycles we have had not working!
    X

Offline klmch

modify
    Professor Quenby
    « Reply #49 on: 7/02/16, 19:13 »
    Hi job1, no I've never done a cycle with steroids. I was kind of expecting to be told I need them after the Quenby biopsy , certainly wasn't expecting very very low inflammation!!
    Where are you doing your DE cycles? Have you got any ideas why they are not working, any endo, tubal issues etc?