* Author Topic: Cervical Incompetance - Part Two  (Read 12606 times)

0 Members

Offline fififi

• Gold Member
modify
Cervical Incompetance - Part Two
« Reply #50 on: 29/05/16, 16:18 »
Tomtom - not had double stitch but had single one via local hospital at 16 weeks due to funnelling of already short cervix. Success rates are good & as you mentioned even higher if you have stitch put in before 12 weeks. My DD was delivered by planned section at 34 weeks despite two episodes of severe contractions & her seeming to want to escape earlier!
I was under a consultant on verge of retiring so old school & very much into prevention of anything possibly causing onset of early labour. Unlike majority of ladies I spoke to who had a stitch I was on partial bed rest (up for just short periods to go to toilet/stretch legs). Most consultants don't seem to recommend bed rest just suggest a fairly gentle life style so not on feet for long periods of time, no exercising/sex etc. my job isn't a sitting down one so I'd have had to be off work anyway.
The other "preventative" measures I was prescribed were cyclogest 400mg daily and I was also on antibiotics throughout pregnancy (2 weeks taking then 2 weeks not) - the abs were to prevent infection which my consultant viewed as only thing likely to cause issues with the stitch. (Again of the other ladies I was in contact with none were given ABs)

The first few weeks were really scary but I think that was because I'd come so close to losing another baby. After that I wouldn't say I relaxed but I was definitely able to believe that I wouldn't lose my baby because of failing cervix.

You're under a consultant known for his expertise in the field of cervical incompetance. Take faith in the fact that the success rates are really high and if anyone is going to give you the right advice it will be Nick Wales  ^reiki^ ^reiki^

If there's anything I can help you with please ask. Thinking of you & hoping your op goes smoothly and you're feeling hopeful soon xx

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline Tincancat

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #51 on: 29/05/16, 20:24 »
    Hi Tomtom
    I've had TAC with occlusion stitch by Nic Wales when 12 weeks pregnant.  He'll go through your history then talk through your options.
    Sorry to be so brief one of my boys has managed to get himself admitted to intensive care so I'll answer any questions you have when it's less hectic.
    TCCx

Offline tarot

modify
    « Reply #52 on: 30/05/16, 11:19 »
    Hi Ladies,

Sorry if this is in the wrong thread but thought you may be the most experienced to answer my question....

I am 18 weeks now...... Small bleed at 9 weeks,even smaller bleed at 16 weeks. Baby checked both times ... All ok.

I had Cin 111 cells removed about 18 years ago and am thinking of having a cervical length scan just to check...

I am just a bit nervous as it's an internal.... Are they safe at this stage? Looks a stupid question I know but so nervous :(

Thankyou xx

Offline Tomtom123

• Un-Ranked
    modify
    « Reply #53 on: 30/05/16, 12:08 »
    Hi Tincancat, thank you for reply. Sorry to hear your son is in hospital. It must be a very stressful time. Hope he is out soon. I think a TAC won't be advised for me given my situation but I'll see what he says.

Hi Fifi. Glad to hear your TVC worked. Was it an emergency stitch? I don't have funnelling - well it's too early as cervix not load bearing. But cervix is a bit open externally (vagina end) so the closed part of cervix is only 24-25mm so already borderline. I have an 18 month son who I carried to 40 weeks without problem. Cervical scan at 16-17 weeks showed long closed cervix so it's only a recent problem since recent twin pregnancy loss and 2 ecrps. I think waiting and seeing is too much of a risk. I really can't do 5-7 months bed rest with a toddler and work so hoping an early elective stitch will work. Just so worried about infection though! But the risk is still there with/without stitch.

Tarot congrats on your pregnancy. As you can read above I had internal scan with my son at 16-17 weeks. Typically it's done 16-22 weeks as that's when changes would be first seen. I think cervix starts to become weight bearing after 15 weeks or so. So I can't see why it wouldn't be safe. Gave me peace of mind at the time as I had had a previous ECRP and 2 hysteroscopy.

Offline fififi

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #54 on: 30/05/16, 12:40 »
    Tarot - internal scan fine to do. I had large chunk of cervix removed due to precancerous cells in my early 20s. When pg with older DD (7 years ago) I had internal scan fortnightly from 16 weeks to 32. With her my cervix was on short side but I didn't end up needing stitch & went to term. They had assumed for this pregnancy I'd be fine but when did a precautionary scan at 14 weeks saw cervix was only 21mm so went for repeat scan at 16 when unfortunately funnelling & further shortening already happened so needed emergency stitch. (I'd had several ERPCs and laproscopies, hysteroscopies in between so that probably hadn't helped.)

I'd definitely push to get an internal scan done to just check. Chances are you'll be fine but for peace of mind I'd be getting it checked. If nhs won't scan you can get private cervical length scan for about 100,
    Good luck with your pregnancy and hope you get reassurance and can enjoy being pg soon x

Offline tarot

modify
    « Reply #55 on: 30/05/16, 14:00 »
    Thankyou both for your replies  :) I will book a private scan ( I can get in on Friday) but your replies have reassured me it's manageable if a problem is found.... Thankyou!

The midwife did mention an internal examination if worried. She mentioned a spatula type instrument that they look inside with. I'm not too sure I like the sound of that. Is that more risky do you think than a scan and is it as accurate?

Thanks again Ladies for sharing your experience with me :) xx

Offline fififi

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #56 on: 30/05/16, 20:29 »
    Tarot - an internal examination without scan would only see if cervix opening and wouldn't be able to measure its length. Go for scan and get full reassurance x

Tomtom - yes my stitch was emergency (funelling & under 2cm)
    Majority of ladies I was in touch with were not told to have bed rest. With a toddler you'll need to be bit careful lifting etc - advice is generally not to lift more than you could pick up with one hand. Got to act a bit like you've had csection only no stomach pain. Things will be trickier having a toddler but I'm sure you'll quickly find ways to minimise activities that might put additional strain on cervix. Nick Wales will be able to advise you - he sent me an email with link to information sheet when I contacted him for additional advice. I think I've deleted it but will look again.
    As for infection the risks are slightly higher than without stitch but so long as you avoid baths, swimming pools, sex etc and wear cotton underwear you are minimising further. Might be worth asking about a long term course of antibiotics but I suspect most consultants will view them as unnecessary. You'll be having regular scans - monthly? - and at these will have urine tested so infection can be picked up quickly even if did occur.

TCC - hugs hun, hope Chunk improved today xx

Offline tarot

modify
    « Reply #57 on: 30/05/16, 20:40 »
    Thankyou Fififi..... I appreciate your advice and will go ahead with scan on Friday xx

Offline Tomtom123

• Un-Ranked
    modify
    « Reply #58 on: 31/05/16, 14:30 »
    I heard the second stitch the occlusion stitch is to seal up the cervix so infection can't enter the uterus. Is this true? Do you know if it's total occlusion like the do in Germany or just a second stitch. I heard Nick Wales puts them in even with  TAC so wondering why?

Offline GoingGreek

modify
    « Reply #59 on: 31/05/16, 21:10 »
    Hello everyone,

This time last week I was going into labour... but I didn't even know. By the time I suspected something was 'odd' my cervix was totally dilated. When my waters broke the labour stopped and I ended up having to be induced twice on the Wednesday and my son, Jasper, was born sleeping on the 25th of May 2016 at 22:56... our hearts are broken.

Strangely, we are both desperate to go to Serum in Athens and try again. However, I am scared it happens again.

My GP referred me today to Mr Kim Hinshaw at Sunderland Royal hospital... I also booked an appointment for the 14th of June privately incase the referral doesn't come through in time.

I get the feeling i won't be offered a 'TAC' as I haven't had a failed 'TVC'. I am really concerned that the TVC would fail and I would have to go through another delivery of a stillborn baby. Also, if I did get a TAC would I need to wait to start IVF again....