* Author Topic: Anyone using donor sperm part 77  (Read 102318 times)

0 Members

Offline wibble-wobble

• Volunteer
modify
Anyone using donor sperm part 77
« on: 9/04/16, 02:29 »
A new place to chat as the old part is getting long

Happy chatting :)

Old thread here : https://www.fertilityfriends.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=332987.0

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline CanadianAmanda

modify
    « Reply #1 on: 9/04/16, 14:21 »
    Hi girls! Sorry I was MIA for a bit here.
    Sapphire and BabyB - Glad everything went well at your respective appointments :)

KJade your business idea made me laugh out loud, all those things are true!!! In fact, I just ordered a vitamix blender and clean eating cookbook haha

AFM - I am 6DPIUI and finished all my pre-IVF screening. I had an appointment wit my family dr because my liver enzymes are elevated. She said it is surely from the hormones, but now I will be having it checked every couple weeks. So now I truly am in detox-mode. I already exercise daily, and have cut caffeine down to one coffee a week, but now I will be totally off alcohol, red meat and all the delicious tasting food. I love wine, coffee and going out for charcuterie, so I am hoping that I will learn to love decaf, grape juice and salads instead...

Offline K jade

• Gold Member
    • Infertility veteran since 2011! BFN princess :)
    modify
    « Reply #2 on: 9/04/16, 16:10 »
    Aw amanda hun, it's not fun is it.
    I love coffee too
    Not a massive wine drinker but a glass now and again would be nice
    Blxxdy unfair especially when the vast majority our age just get preg as spontaneously as a bolt of blinkin lightning
    But think positively. All your friends will be envious of your no doubt amazing figure and skin and think of all the favours  your doing your health

Urgh ladies can anyone advise. Bad dream last night. Got to IVF and they retrieved just 3 poor quality eggs
    Anyone else have bad dreams like this??

Offline CharlotteDMK

modify
    « Reply #3 on: 10/04/16, 12:58 »
    Hi everyone

I was hoping you would be able to offer some advice. I'm currently 10 weeks pregnant and my other half is really struggling with bonding with the baby. I'm worried this might be because of using donor sperm (same sex couple) and her feeling a bit like she hasn't had much involvement. She played a big part in conception with injections etc  (although I did take over the last cycle a lot injecting myself - only as I enjoyed it hehe! Now kind of wishing I had let her take the lead still so she felt more involved). She was there for insemination, has been to all 4 scans, I try to involve her when browsing at baby stuff online.

Any suggestions what else I could do, or what type of support she could look into would be really useful.

Thanks in advance x

Offline Godiva

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #4 on: 10/04/16, 16:10 »
    I think it is just very difficult for any "other half" to feel part of it all and bond at such an early stage. Even I sometimes wonder about what I feel for our "bunny". Hoping it all becomes more tangible soon hard to bond with nausea and fatigue as only sign something is going on).
    We used donor sperm too, and I try to bring DH to every appointment with obs/scan (up till now only had 1 scan ;-) ). I read him all I can find on "weekly updates" of foetal development, but I think it needs time, might get easier if movement can be felt: a tangle sign that something is in there. Try not to worry too much, and pay some extra attention to your partner too, so she does not feel left out or pushed out of the way by baby. Maybe she just feels everything is between you and baby now, and she is left out... Try doing something romantic together and spend time together (not just focusing on baby). Don't know if it helps, but at least you can try!

Offline MrsE1982

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #5 on: 11/04/16, 09:05 »
    Thanks Hannah. Just trying to do some work before we have to leave at 12.

Big week for us. Hysteroscopy today and back at the clinic tomorrow for review appointment. I think we have decided that unless the doctor trys to convince us we'll move to IVF (or ICSI) if they think a better option. So now I'm just wondering when we can start!!!

Offline ssltw

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #6 on: 11/04/16, 16:05 »
    Just thought I'd pop in and see how you're all doing and saw the sapphire's news - huge congrats and so glad that your scan went well. So glad everything is working out for you 😊
    Best of luck to everyone else too!

Offline Sapphire952

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #7 on: 11/04/16, 18:44 »
    Ssltw - LOVELY to hear from you.  How ru? Hope all is well with LO, must be 6 months old now? I'm hoping so much that this one is a keeper. 

MrsE - good luck this week Hun.  Hope your hysterscopy gives you comfort all is well and you hVe a productive appointment later this week.  Fx for you.

Hannah - it's tough isn't it.  I hated the concept of picking a donor so don't blame you for asking the clinic to do this for you.  It is one hurdle after another. We didn't want to engage too much in who they were. As KKade said, we picked someone who broadly shared similar characteristics to DH and who appeared to be a nice guy.  Haven't spent much time thinking about them since.  Although at my scan the other day I did think the 'nose looks big' and had to hold back on querying where that had come from.  I think the counsellor said to us that we are creating a new little person who is unique in their own right and we shouldn't be too tied to them not being genetically related - easier said than done tho!

Godiva - glad things appear to be going well for you Hun.  The whole donor thing is weird.  I worry what DH thinks recently, tho I haven't asked.  Like you, he's been with me every step of the way and is equally invested.  We haven't told DH family that we are using DS so it will be a bit weird when we announce the pregnancy. I'm worried we will feel a bit deceitful. 

Charlotte - I think bonding is diff at this early stage.  I've barely let myself bond with baby due to fear of loss but also it's difficult to feel real at this stage, apart from symptoms.  I'm thinking of getting a Doppler so we can both listen to HB later on.  Hopefully this will help make it feel more real!

Offline CharlotteDMK

modify
    « Reply #8 on: 11/04/16, 19:03 »
    Thanks for the advice everyone :) it's been a huge help xx

Offline MrsE1982

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #9 on: 12/04/16, 09:34 »
    Ok so not quite the day we had planned yesterday.

I went for my hysteroscopy as a private patient at our local hospital and the doctor was LOVELY. He explained it all and kept really calm.

I have a polyp that is almost filling the uterine cavity. It was much larger than anyone thought and he had a go at removing it. But because it was low down, he couldn't get it all. He was at it for a good 30 mins and then said that he would have to stop and do it under a general anaesthetic. I then argued with him saying, I'm fine, I'm fine - carry on, I don't want a GA....but, good job he stopped as I then went into a sort of shock, felt sick, started shaking and they had to put me into a recovery room for a good hour and half to stop shaking and for the pain to ease off. That bit was worse than the actual procedure.

Anyway by the time the nurses had finished with me the doctor had come back saying he'd rejigged his NHS list around for Thursday and he had broken all sorts of rules to squeeze me in. So I am going in on Thursday for a proper operation. Was in hospital most the afternoon and caused all sorts of problems at work as I was supposed to be out and about on Thursday and Friday - but no am not! I just can't say no to an NHS wait of 2 days!

The bonus of all of this, is that he said I would never have got pregnant with a polyp that size, so IUI may well work. He was going to call into the fertility clinic on his way home to let them know and pass on the photos. Also the rest of my womb cervix and opening of fallopian tubes look great. So thats good news. He also said that I can cycle again with my next period. So assuming Thursday goes well and I get my period the week after, I can go again. It remains to be seen if we do IUI or IVF.

We have appointment with fertility clinic today to discuss this, and we'll see what they say about IUI vs IVF. I also want to know why something of this size wasn't seen before hand. If we had taken their advice and done IVF in the first instance, it would never have worked and we would have lost our NHS try all because of this polyp.