* Author Topic: Anyone using donor sperm part 77  (Read 101097 times)

0 Members

Offline CanadianAmanda

modify
Anyone using donor sperm part 77
« Reply #120 on: 16/05/16, 05:12 »
Beattie :( I am sorry love! Many hugs your way...  ^hugme^

KJade- I use repromed and I believe it is the same process for xytex (at least in Canada anyway). It said on their website you can order online but I have always called. They will need to know your clinic name, address and physician's name and will confirm your donor number, number of vials and type of vial ordered (washed, unwashed, IVF/ICSI). I imagine it is a similar process for you, but best of luck!!

Godiva, here they encourage that test or PGD to all IVF patients... So we will be doing the test at 10 weeks as well... Assuming we get pregnant soon... Right now it feels like a very distant dream! So excited to hear things are moving right along for you.

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline Godiva

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #121 on: 16/05/16, 06:56 »
    The problem is that people think that with a test they are guaranteed a "normal" baby. A test like Harmony/NIPT actually only looks at 4 pairs of chromosomes: 13,17 and 21 (if I am not mistaken in numbers) and sex chromosomes. If there is a larger concentration of one of the 3 sets of chromosomes in the mother's blood, this could mean a problem in baby. If they detect a Y chromosome the baby is a boy (amazing to think that as a woman you might actually have a  chromosome circulating: maybe that is the cause of "pregnancy dementia"  :P , could be interesting to compare women carrying boys and girls  ;D ). Any other problem (like deletion of part of a chromosome, or even a mosaic, meaning that there are both normal and abnormal cells) are not detected. Sex chromosome abnormalities (like Klinefelters) are not always detected. What the test does is (try to) detect foetal DNA strands in the mother's blood, so not complete cells with a nucleus. The frequency of certain bits are compared to each other, and a large difference in concentrations might mean there is a problem (= high risk result). Then the advice usually is to go for a more invasive test (taking some amniotic fluid or a "placental biopsy") to really have foetal cells to analyse more accurately. This should only be done if you do consider a termination, as both come with a risk of miscarriage.
    PGD takes one (or a couple) of cells from an embryo before it is transferred. As the tests take some time, the embryo's are usually frozen afterwards, and a FET is done once the results are known. PGD can also damage the embryo, causing it not to survive. PGD can test for much more problems, but it is usually only done if the future parents carry a known genetic mutation (eg cystic fibrosis, sickle-cell,...). I did not know it also was used to screen embryo's without a known genetic problem.

Offline MrsE1982

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #122 on: 16/05/16, 09:23 »
    Beattie I'm sorry about your BFN. Take your time to cry and shout about it.

Kjade - Just look into your NHS funding if you do pay. Basically the moment I pay for any sort of treatment I forfeit my NHS 'go' - this is for IVF so I am assuming they have the same process for IUIs. Also would you rather pay the cash out for IUI or save it to go towards an IVF cycle should you need it? Not sure how much they are but I think at my clinic with the drugs is about 1000 - I also would have to pay for our donors tests too.

Hope you all had a good weekend. So I went out for a friends birthday and had a drink - first time in ages. And managed to throw up when I got home!!! I haven't done that for a good 15 years! Hubby was not impressed....my alcohol tolerance has dropped right down and I didn't realise until it was too late....oops. So I felt rough all day yesterday, just goes to show what sort of poison we put into our bodies!

I have also made a decision. I can't get stressed about the NHS and their delays. It simply wont do any good and can only harm my ovaries....I need to keep them all happy and stress free ready for IVF. I keep telling myself this and eventually it will get through!

Offline Babybplease

modify
    « Reply #123 on: 17/05/16, 00:32 »
    Hey ladies! Hope you are surving.

Godiva I did had just turned 36 and it made its sooooo much easier to relax after getting this results I def recommend it. Just wanted to throw that in there.

Hope those wishing for IVF for get on that train soon. The hold ups get so exhausting.

Have our anatomy scan on Thursday a bit nervous but my spotting has finally been gone for a full week now so feeling better about it.

Offline Sapphire952

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #124 on: 17/05/16, 07:51 »
    MrsE - good attitude Hun.  Keep up the positive thoughts.  You will get there :)

Baby - good luck for your scan, fx it all goes well. Mine is 2 weeks on Thursday when I will hopefully be 19+6. Pleased your bleeding has eased and hopefully stopped! I hope that's the end of it.  I haven't had any for two weeks which (based on my track record) means I'm probably due some!!

Offline Josina

modify
    « Reply #125 on: 17/05/16, 18:22 »
    Hang in there Beattie.  IUI does work, for some people it just takes a bit longer. I got my BFP on our 6th try. If you look at my signature you'll see we had quite a journey,  but we did get there in the end. During those dark days this website,  and this thread in particular were my saviour.  The hardest part was not even knowing if I could get pregnant,  but we persevered and it was so worth it in the end. Our little boy is 18 months now and such a joy.

Hi to everyone else. I'm on oldie on this site. Almost everybody seems to get pregnant in the end, and then we get busy with babies,  so try stay positive  ^hugme^

Afm - TTC2 for a sibling. This is our first attempt.  I'm going mad on 2ww and thought I'd pop back on this site for some support

Offline K jade

• Gold Member
    • Infertility veteran since 2011! BFN princess :)
    modify
    « Reply #126 on: 17/05/16, 18:48 »
     Josina the Hello!! ^wave^
    I remember u from a year or two back
    Lovely to 'see' u and hear your news!!
    Good luck on your journey for sibling, how exciting!! Xx

Offline K jade

• Gold Member
    • Infertility veteran since 2011! BFN princess :)
    modify
    « Reply #127 on: 17/05/16, 18:50 »
    Beatie my tubes were checked prior to starting IUI as was my AFC
    All clinics differ but I think standard is to check before IUI xx

Offline Sapphire952

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #128 on: 17/05/16, 22:03 »
    Josina - hello, glad to hear you and your son are well! It's been a while.  I remember you from when I joined this thread way back when.  We're all still here to support you on your latest cycle xxx

Offline MrsE1982

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #129 on: 18/05/16, 09:12 »
    Josina - thanks for the message. Lovely to hear success stories. Gives us all hope! Good luck on your 2ww!

Beattie - I had tubes checked - this had to be done before doing IUI at my clinic - it wasn't that bad, I thought I had to pay for it, as it should have been done through NHS before I moved funding to private clinic - as it was about 450 I got it done - but have never had the bill, so assume this has been sent to the NHS - it might be worth enquiring about this? It was called a HyCoSy (it has a long name but I can't remember it) and it wasn't too bad, just uncomfortable.

All my hormone levels including AMH and AFC. But I don't know if these tests had to be done before IUI, as they were just part of the first lot of fertility checks I had done. I wouldn't worry about AFC too much as they are checking your follicles throughout your IUI cycle anyway and its done in the same way, with a dildo cam.

I also had a hysterocopy and polypectomy as they picked up a polyp on one of the scans in the 2nd cycle and it was a bit touch and go if they were going to continue. Apparently they can act as like an IUD if they are in the wrong place and impact on implantation. But this isn't standard, and actually I am now moving to IVF/ICSI - but this is more because of our donor instead of me. So we will never know if this had an impact on IUI success. According to my gynae polyps or fibroids cannot be picked up on dildo cams sometimes....but then according to him plenty of women get pregnant with them - so again we cannot be sure of the affect it has on fertility!

Wish I could give you some solid answers hun. Keep going!