* Author Topic: Anyone using donor sperm part 77  (Read 90282 times)

0 Members

Offline Prinzilla

modify
Anyone using donor sperm part 77
« Reply #1400 on: 30/07/20, 10:04 »
Molly that's brilliant! Congratulations, so happy for you xx

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline K jade

• Gold Member
    • Infertility veteran since 2011! BFN princess :)
    modify
    « Reply #1401 on: 30/07/20, 11:36 »
    Molly fantastic news, congrats  ^banana^ ^banana^ ^banana^
    Do keep us posted
    X

Offline DW39

• Un-Ranked
    modify
    « Reply #1402 on: 8/08/20, 08:56 »
    Hi all. I was wondering if someone may be able to help me with a question. We are about to do our 5th IVF for the first time with donor sperm. We have found a donor we like from Xytex who has certain genetic issues. One seems to be quite rare and the other is some kind of autoimmune issue. They have said I need to get genetically tested (I assume to see if have the same issues which could then increase the risk of an embryo getting the same issue) but it looks like almost every donor has some issue or the other as they test so widely so I was wondering what most people do? Do you take the risk (if the donor was my husband I would never have known anyway!) or do you get genetically tested and if so how much does it cost and how long does it take? Just wondering what experiences people had that may be able to help guide me a bit.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Offline kittykat76

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #1403 on: 9/08/20, 02:34 »
    DW39- I used xytex,there were plenty of donors at that time that didnt have any genetic issues. There were a couple of donors I liked who did but I didnt want to take the risk. Personally I felt that if you are paying all that money then you want as close to "perfect" as possible, especially when you have had a few ivf cycles already and just want it to work as quickly as possible. Doing the tests will slow things down and if its something you test positive for then you would need to look for another donor anyway so if it  was me I would just choose another now.

Offline DW39

• Un-Ranked
    modify
    « Reply #1404 on: 9/08/20, 10:52 »
    Thanks kittykat.  Good to hear your views and totally makes sense what you say. Issue is that looks and other criteria are also important to us (trying to match to husbands looks) so I may need to see how I make this donor work as it's the only one that matches across the board.  I'll maybe talk to my clinic and see what they say and figure out how much genetic testing for me is needed plus time and costs and then take a view. As you say that will all cause delays which we really dont want as were hoping to cycle in September. Our second and third choice based on other factors also have some kind of genetic issue that came up from testing. Grrrr!!

Offline Want-a-baby

modify
    « Reply #1405 on: 11/08/20, 02:39 »
    Hi all. We used Cryos (Denmark) and were successful on our first attempt. However, I guess nowadays they only ship donor sperm to clinics and hospitals.
    Good luck! :-)

Offline Molly87

modify
    « Reply #1406 on: 11/08/20, 11:16 »
    The very first donor I chose had something similar. The chances of me having it and then that passing to the child were so slim that I chose to take the risk because the characteristics matched so well. I completely understand how you feel about using this donor. I was so keen to use that donor I felt it was a risk I didnít mind taking. Unfortunately that round wasnít successful. As you say if you werenít using donor sperm you would never know! We found out my husband actually carries the cystic fibrosis gene.

My last round was on the NHS and they donít go into that much detail with the testing so we would never know anyway! It is a personal choice though and you have to be happy with it and know there would be no regrets. xx

Offline DW39

• Un-Ranked
    modify
    « Reply #1407 on: Yesterday at 08:24 »
    Thanks Molly87. I can totally relate to what you say and is good to hear you were thinking along the same lines as us. We have decided to go with that donor as I did more research on the gene issues and they are quite closely related to a heritage which is totally different to mine so that also lessens the risk quite significantly according to my clinic. The % risk is so small and there is risk in every decision we make on this joutney and this was one we were comfortable on so have decided to proceed. Thank you everyone for your guidance. This forum is awesome to gain the vast experience of others!

Offline DW39

• Un-Ranked
    modify
    « Reply #1408 on: Yesterday at 09:00 »
    Btw Molly87, just seen your earlier post. Congrats!!! Hope all is still going well for you.

Offline Molly87

modify
    « Reply #1409 on: Yesterday at 18:41 »
    Thanks. Unfortunately Iím pretty convinced this is going to lead to a miscarriage. Iím having my 7 week scan at the clinic next week but because my husband canít attend we decided to pay for a private scan at 6 weeks (yesterday). The sac was seen but measured small (6mm) and they couldnít see the embryo. Thereís a chance itís too early but I was already worried because my clearblue is just not moving from 2-3 weeks and I thought that was a bad sign. Iíve not really got any symptoms either except tiredness, sore boobs and Iím occasionally lightheaded when I stand up. Now I completely regret the decision to have the early scan and Iím absolutely gutted. Have to just wait it out until 20th August now and itís torture!!