* Author Topic: Menopur/Clomid combo? what is this? does it work? is it worth carrying on?  (Read 1967 times)

0 Members

Offline Alex1979

• Gold Member
the clinic want me to start Menopur/Clomid combo in 2 months and I need some help,

any advice or tips would be great - my last cycle was cancelled yesterday it was 300 units of Menopur for 6 days after 4 weeks of BCP and I had no stimulation at all.

they have offered me this treatment next so is there any success stories out there, feeling really low and broken at the mo so need my girls to help me out please!

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline Lucieloos

• Gold Member
    Hi Alex, I spoke to you briefly on the reprofit thread. So sorry about your cancelled cycle and hope you are ok. It sounds like what they are suggesting is mini IVF which they normally try if you don't stimulate well. It's about giving less drugs and going for quality over quantity. They usually aim for around 3 eggs. I am about to start this in a couple of weeks although I'm using Gonal rather than Menopur. When I have done full IVF I normally only get 3 eggs retrieved so for me if I could get the same using mini IVF which is cheaper then that would be a bonus. I have no idea how I will respond but going to test it and see. It's definitely worth a try although I would say I think the bcp could be in part to blame for your poor stimulation. It is known to suppress response and if you have a low reserve anyway then not good. I would try to avoid it next time.

Offline Noelayoung

• Another "single good egg" poster girl
    Yes I've had success with that combo (and clinic)!

Completely agree with everything Luci said, it's aiming for less eggs but they should be good quality ones.

And just remember that you will have a different response to every IVF cycle - just because one cycle was a dud doesn't mean the next one will be.

Offline Sarahlo

• Gold Member
    I was put on menopur 450 plus Clomid after my previous cycle got cancelled due to stopping responding to gonal f. I got 10 eggs so it worked well for me. good luck x

Offline Alex1979

• Gold Member

Thankyou so much for the replies, feels like I'm going in blind and i have no idea what this is all about plus there isn't much out there to read! but your responses mean im not alone!!!  ;D

my agent said the clinic at reprofit always gives out BCP for ICSI cycles, can i refuse to do this? i really didn't want to last time but they said it was best, the other 3 times i had ICSI i got 8/5/8 eggs so not to bad!

im supposed to start on the bleed after next so I'm better than i was yesterday, if i have something to look forward to and plan the i do OK if not then i just break and i think DH is getting a bit sick of it all. He thinks this has overtook my life! its hard as he isn't a part of it, i inject i go for scans i plan and work out dates i have to remember everything from taking my pills to appointments and as he is just working all the time i don't think he understands that i have never meant it to happen like this its just he cant do anything anyway!

Sarahlo - thank you this had made me feel a whole lot better,10 eggs is great! im hoping  it will work for me to! xx

Noelayoung - yeah i know your right! i just have to pick myself up again and start another xx

Lucieloos - Hay! thats great thanks, my agent doesn't really give me a lot of detail on the why's and what happend's! but im getting a bit more hopeful now, just wan to get things going again, but for now, more protien more pills and more sleep i think! xx

Offline Lucieloos

• Gold Member
    Alex, that is completely untrue about the bcp I'm afraid. I've done 5 icsi cycles at reprofit now and never once have they asked me to take bcp. I also know many, many other women who have cycled there and not taken it either. It's not very common really and i definitely wouldn't do it again after your last response. Do you need to use an agent next time? It's so easy to go through the clinic direct (and cheaper) and you get to speak to the doctors yourself then and can question anything that is concerning you.

Noel, did you cycle at reprofit? What dose were you on for your successful mini?

Offline Alex1979

• Gold Member
    I know I wish I hadn't but I have paid now! its only after being on here and speaking to girls like you that I realise I should of just gone with them directly, I paid 400 to them in may and they are still working for me so I think if they want more money or if this one doesn't work I wont go through them again.

and I thought so, I didn't hear of anyone else taking the BCP when I was speaking to the others!

can I still contact the doctors even if I have an agent, they do seem to be good, they had IVF 3 times at reprofit and a few of the girls recommended them when my 3rd cycle failed they do contact me a lot but I would prefer to speak to the doctors myself sometimes

Offline Lucieloos

• Gold Member
    Alex, I don't see why you can't email the doctor a yourself if you have a question about something. Do you know which doctor you have been allocated? Dr Pavel is pretty good and quite quick to respond if you have a question.

Offline Alex1979

• Gold Member
    no never been given any of that info but ill try though, thank you for all your help ill email them and find out whats going on xx