* Author Topic: Thyroid Chat - Part 9  (Read 39747 times)

0 Members

Offline StrawberrySundae

• Gold Member
modify
Thyroid Chat - Part 9
« Reply #110 on: 20/03/17, 11:46 »
Hi sorry to be asking another question - does anyone know if TSH going below 0.5 can cause problems? Mine was nearer to 2 last year and an endocrinologist advised I started on 25mcg levothyroxine with metformin for fertility purposes. Last week my TSH was 0.3! A month ago it was 0.5 so I'm a bit worried about it seeming to be getting lower & lower. I am not losing weight (an overactive symptom - I think I was more in the slightly underactive category), actually struggling to lose it since my latest MC in January. Also I haven't had a period since my erpc last month  :(

Rory's mummy I'm so sorry about your loss. I also had one at 20 weeks a few yrs ago, but nothing to do with thyroid as far as I know. My TSH was OK during my most recent pregnancy. I hope someone can give some advice to you as well. Good luck with everything  ^hugme^

Pv really sorry about your mc too  ^hugme^

Any ideas appreciated! x

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline Pv7882

modify
    Thyroid Chat - Part 9
    « Reply #111 on: 20/03/17, 16:42 »
    StrawberrySundae - my consultant felt that TSH going below can cause a problem, so they reduced my medication (by 25 mcg) when it went to 0.2. Also ur TSH level may drop once you re not pregnant, so i think that may be the reason for ur tsh to be low, so better to consult ur GP and they can advice or may be go back to ur endocrinologist. i m not sure about gaining/losing weight when ur tsh varies as i havent experienced much difference in my weight.
    About not getting ur period, i m sure its not abnormal as I ve heard many people get a delayed period after an ERPC.

Rory's mummy - I dont think a tsh of 2.9 does any harm, the ideal range for fertility is between 1 and 2.5. But my recurrent miscarriage clinic (Prof Quenby) is happy for the tsh to be within 4.5, they believe it to be fine. So i m not much sure what to believe.Its better to consult an endocrinologist if u re so worried.
    Guess ur 0.99 tsh  is very ideal, just try to keep checking every 3 weeks. good luck with ur current cycle!!

Offline Pv7882

modify
    Thyroid Chat - Part 9
    « Reply #112 on: 20/03/17, 16:45 »
    StrawberrySundae - my consultant felt that TSH going below can cause a problem, so they reduced my medication (by 25 mcg) when it went to 0.2. Also ur TSH level may drop once you re not pregnant, so i think that may be the reason for ur tsh to be low, so better to consult ur GP and they can advice or may be go back to ur endocrinologist. i m not sure about gaining/losing weight when ur tsh varies as i havent experienced much difference in my weight.
    About not getting ur period, i m sure its not abnormal as I ve heard many people get a delayed period after an ERPC.

Rory's mummy - I dont think a tsh of 2.9 does any harm, the ideal range for fertility is between 1 and 2.5. But my recurrent miscarriage clinic (Prof Quenby) is happy for the tsh to be within 4.5, they believe it to be fine. So i m not much sure what to believe.Its better to consult an endocrinologist if u re so worried.
    Guess ur 0.99 tsh  is very ideal, just try to keep checking every 3 weeks. good luck with ur current cycle!!

Offline StrawberrySundae

• Gold Member
    modify
    Thyroid Chat - Part 9
    « Reply #113 on: 20/03/17, 18:38 »
    Thank you Pv  ^hugme^ I spoke to my GP today & she advised me to stay on current dose for 1 month & see what next TSH blood result is like, maybe reduce to taking on alternate days if same or lower. She agreed that since I had a twin pregnancy my hormones are even more likely to be all over got a while & hence delayed period. My doctor reminded me I don't actually have a thyroid disorder, just elevated anti-thyroid antibodies. It's hard enough struggling to get or stay pregnant/have a baby without hormone stress in the top, argh!  :o

I think you're right about possible drop after having been pregnant. Dr Maksoud is a good endocrinologist in the midlands, but more towards Notts/Derby in case that's a possibility for you?

Thanks again for your reply and good luck when you try again xx

Offline Pv7882

modify
    Thyroid Chat - Part 9
    « Reply #114 on: 21/03/17, 20:08 »
    Glad that you could sort this out with the GP, thats a good plan to take it on alternative days.
    Thanks for the details on the endocrinologist, today i saw a NHS endocrinologist he s very sure thyroid is not the reason for my miscarriage.
    But most of the gynaecologists say its something to do with tsh, very confused  :(
    However he has agreed to test thyroid antibodies, i havent got it tested yet. Will hav to see how it goes. Can I ask u what medicines u re taking for thyroid antibodies?

Offline StrawberrySundae

• Gold Member
    modify
    Thyroid Chat - Part 9
    « Reply #115 on: 22/03/17, 07:38 »
    I'm only taking 1 levothyroxine 25mcg per day and 2 metformin a day. I've not had my anti thyroid antibodies tested since last summer, so not sure what they are now. I think they were around 400, but had risen from previous testing. I think stress is the main culprit affecting immune & thyroid functioning and to be avoided wherever possible! My mcs are likely due to my age & a lot of it is down to luck. Hope we're luckier in future  ^hugme^ x

Offline Pv7882

modify
    Thyroid Chat - Part 9
    « Reply #116 on: 22/03/17, 16:49 »
    Thanks, hoping the same  :) But after these recurrent miscarriages, Im always stressed  :(
    Good luck with your next cycle

Offline Rory's mummy

modify
    Thyroid Chat - Part 9
    « Reply #117 on: 28/04/17, 18:41 »
    Hi - I just thought I would update on my situation in case anyone ever asks the same question as I did above.
    Today I got a bfp and so I really do think that for me my tsh has to be on the lower side to have a positive cycle - the 2 cycles when it was higher were bfns but the 2 when my tsh was lower have been bfps.  Realise it may be coincidence but it's a possibility as we are all different and I hope this information can help someone else one day. x

Offline 126970

• Un-Ranked
    modify
    Thyroid Chat - Part 9
    « Reply #118 on: 3/05/17, 19:33 »
    Hello Rory's mummy! Big congratulation to you!!!!  :)
    You must be over the moon!!! Thanks for sharing your news.
    Probably you mentioned earlier but can you just tell what were the higher and lower sides of TSH for your IVF cycles?

Thank you so much and again congrats for you... xxx

Offline Rory's mummy

modify
    Thyroid Chat - Part 9
    « Reply #119 on: 18/05/17, 16:24 »
    Hi Campervan,

Sorry for the delayed reply!  I'll see if I can remember them....

First cycle it was in the high 3's so like 3.8ish. BFN

Second cycle which was delayed in order to get tsh down was 0.53. BFP

Third cycle was 2.9. BFN

This cycle was 0.99. BFP.

So it doesn't even have to be majorly high to seemingly have an effect for me (assuming there is a link and it's not just coincidence!)

I would say if your tsh is up over 2.5 then ask your gp/fertility clinic to prescribe/increase levothyroxine - it can't hurt as long as your tsh doesn't go too low and it could really help.

Hope this helps and thank you so much for the congratulations, I'm still so very nervous awaiting my early scan! xxx