* Author Topic: Over 45 With Own Eggs?  (Read 89035 times)

0 Members

Offline highlandgirl

modify
Over 45 With Own Eggs?
« on: 22/08/16, 16:54 »
Hi All,

Is anyone out there about to embark on the journey for the first time using their own eggs aged 45 or over?
I am just about to start IVF and would love to hear from anyone aged 45 or over using their OE for IVF or naturally trying for a baby?

:)

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline Gemini40

modify
    Over 45 With Own Eggs?
    « Reply #1 on: 22/08/16, 22:54 »
    Hi , my amh was same as yours at 39 so you are going good. My OE egg cycle got three eggs and none fertilized. With a low amh they don't expect big numbers and I was advised by the consultant that numbers matter in ivf. He told me if you can't produce lots of eggs you have a better chance of becoming pregnant naturally than by ivf. I then had a de cycle and the donor only produced three eggs and that went no where either. Your hospital should be able to give you the stats but from this forum it is de cycles most woman in this age bracket go for. If you go OE Argc is mentioned a lot as being good with the over 40s but I think they are very expensive. Good luck

Offline Hopeful_one

• Un-Ranked
    modify
    Over 45 With Own Eggs?
    « Reply #2 on: 24/08/16, 00:07 »
    Hi HighlandGirl,

I am in the same boat as you and wondered the same thing but never asked the question on FF.  I started my first cycle with OE using Natural IVF at Create and am waiting to hear the verdict on the whether the single embryo is suitable for freezing as we are on the 3-cycle package.  I had 2 eggs at collection but only 1 fertilised. Like you this is completely new to me and I have been reading all sorts of advice on what to do since age is against us but I wanted to at least give it a shot with OE before I considered other options.  Have you decided where to have treatment and what protocol you want?

Offline highlandgirl

modify
    Over 45 With Own Eggs?
    « Reply #3 on: 24/08/16, 03:53 »
    Hi Ladies,

Thanks for reading and commenting :)
    It is rare it seems for anyone over 45 / low AMH to comment on this so its great to hear from you!
    I will be 46 in 4 weeks and I start Short / Flare Protocol at GCRM on Tuesday. As far as we know neither of us have any issues DH sperm is good and I still have an AMH of 2.8.
    I am a bit overweight but no other health issues so heres hoping!
    Never had any treatment never been to hospital but I know its my age thats the issue :(

Gemini - what stage are you at now?
    Hopeful - Did you get 1 good egg the first time? thats really good :)

x

Offline Gemini40

modify
    Over 45 With Own Eggs?
    « Reply #4 on: 24/08/16, 12:44 »
    Hi highland girl, I'm at the stage where I don't know what to do next lol. I have a review with consultant tomorrow to discuss last failed de cycle. Tbh I think her fertility wasn't much better than my own so it was a waste of money and emotional energy. I have wrestled with myself over taking dhea as it has produced some great results for over 40s. It will take me a year plus to save again for another cycle but I will try naturally during that time. If I go de again i would use a clinic which guarantees blasts, maybe ivf Alicante, who are linked to gcrm. It's just a lot to go through to come out with nothing at the end of it.

Offline Hopeful_one

• Un-Ranked
    modify
    Over 45 With Own Eggs?
    « Reply #5 on: 24/08/16, 22:36 »
    Hi Highlandgirl, the result of the first cycle is that we do not have a embryo suitable for freezing  :(
    My AMH was normal, DH had SA and the results were fine as were my FSH - all normal (for my age I guess!).  Similar to Gemini I am contemplating additional supplements that may help improve results for cycle 2.  I am healthy and have a fairly good diet and am trying to exercise some more - even bought a bike!
    Having received the news of the embryo I am feeling rather disappointed with things so far.....and my journey has just begin. :(

Offline Blondie71

• Gold Member
    modify
    Over 45 With Own Eggs?
    « Reply #6 on: 26/08/16, 09:07 »
    Mini ivf or clomid cycles seem to be a good option for older mums/lower Amh ladies but realistically a lot do move quickly to DE due to cost etc but if you can afford to try oe first why not!! Good luck x

Offline Gemini40

modify
    Over 45 With Own Eggs?
    « Reply #7 on: 26/08/16, 13:41 »
    I seen consultant yesterday and most of the conversation was about a new de cycvle option. However, I briefly asked about dhea for OE cycle and she said that there is some evidence that testosterone patches for two weeks can improve response. I am feeling a bit tempted but to go from de to OE cycle is probably unheard of

Offline highlandgirl

modify
    Over 45 With Own Eggs?
    « Reply #8 on: 27/08/16, 07:06 »
    Hi ladies

Hope - we are the same my AMH is 2.8 which I was told is normal and DH SA is also normal. I take pregnacare for conception and DH takes well man conception we also both take vitabiotics omega 3 x 2 daily.
    I cut out caffeine except one cup first thing and we are trying to eat healthier.
    We have a lovely whippet fur baby so I have to walk everyday but since having my appt at GCRM I have put on 5 pounds!
    Gem - I think you need to do what it right for you whether it is OE or DE or back to OE - I have also heard about the DHEA and CO Q10 making a difference - I am hoping we are blessed first time round and haven't even thought about what happens if not we will see but I am ever hopeful ! ;0

I start norethisterone tabs on Tuesday this is the start of my treatment first time don't know what to expect really?
    9 days tabs 5 day break for bleed then 14th back to clinic for prostap inj then home to start gonal inj then 1st scan on 21st sept.
    I never had a scan before just the AMH test so don't even what is going on in there to start with lol 😬😬

I have put on 5 bloody pounds since my first consultation appt raging at myself and I am not the weight I should be to start with!
    I have been listening to podcasts and heard one recently from the top doc at Mount Sinai fertility centre in USA who stated nothing else matters unless you have a healthy egg and healthy sperm not even diet or supplements etc so I guess we all just need to chill a bit and see if we can make these healthy eggs and our partners can make healthy swimmers on the day?

I do feel this is a bit of a lonely journey as we haven't and won't be telling our families and I have only told a few friends who all have children so they don't really understand as none of them had any issues?
    X
    X

Offline Lily0750

• Gold Member
    modify
    Over 45 With Own Eggs?
    « Reply #9 on: 27/08/16, 21:21 »
    Hi ladies,

Forgive me, I am not an expert but my understanding is AMH 2.8 might be normal for the age of 45 but is not good to expect good IVF results.
    The other thing (again my understanding) the combination of AMH 2.8 and age 39 would have better expectations of IVF success that the combination of AMH 2.8 and age 45.
    Also the success depends how good FSH is.

I wrote to ARGC when I just turned 45 and they replied saying they had no success with ladies over 44.

I was told by the Lister consultant to take DHEA and ubiquinol (Co Q10) for at least 8 weeks to see any improvement.