* Author Topic: 42, confused and feeling lost  (Read 1699 times)

0 Members

Offline Rebecca_747

modify
42, confused and feeling lost
« Reply #10 on: 9/09/16, 21:09 »
Forgot to say in my post.  My friend who's the same age as me went to a clinic in Spain, used donor eggs and sperm after failed IVF's in the uk and she now has beautiful twin baby girls.  I'm definitely considering it if things don't work out this time and have IVF there x

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline sammy75

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #11 on: 12/09/16, 19:13 »
    Hi everyone..just wondered if the payment for ivf all gets payed up front or at the time of egg collection as maybe that could break down the cost so it wouldnt all have to be paid at once..im sure when i done my ivf years ago i wasnt billed for the tests..drugs and ivf altogether.

Good luck to you all with your journey to becoming parents..sam.

Offline Talkingfrog

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #12 on: 13/09/16, 00:12 »
    Sammy - it will vary from clinic to clinic.  At mc as they clinic I have paid for bloods etc as  they have been done.  Drugs was paid directly to drug company.  Ivf cost  needed to be paid before ec - usually at baseline. 

Girlwtk -   It would be nice to have your  support but I would say you need to do what is right for you, and that you won't regret later. You have a good salary, probably get a good maternity package, and as others have said things can be bought quite cheaply on selling sites.

I am  in a different situation, but will similarities. I am also 42 (but not for long ) and at CRGW.  I am married and have a 5 yr old dd from our first icsi cycle  Although she hasn't said as  much, I don't think my mum understands a why we are trying for a sibling.  I think she sees it as we have one child, both working (I do part time 27 hrs per week), not getting any younger, so we should leave alone.  She doesn't understand the process either, but doesn't really try to as it baffles her - I still tell her what is happening anyway though. I am lucky in that I find it easy to talk to my mother in law (it is not unusual for me to  chat with her a few times a day, and we will phone each other for no specific reason).  As she adopted  before having DH, I think she understands a bit more.  At the end of the day we have told both of them what we are doing, we have to take in mind their opinion ( we use both my parents and MIL for childcare after school and would probably ask them to help with a sibling), but  the decision has been made by DH and myself.

Not an easy situation, but if I  were you I would go for it.

Whether you choose iui or ivf, uk or abroad  I wouldn't know where to start.  Iui would be cheaper and if nothing wrong with you may well work.    IVF may be seen as a better chance, but costs more and may not be needed.  IUI can sometimes give useful info for a second cycle if needed.   Our first cycle started as iui to see how I responded (funded and didn't count towards the one ivf we could have at the time).  I ended up over responding and converting over to icf/icsi and had icsi on the day.

Good luck with whatever you choose.