* Author Topic: My Diary - Finally a mummy...  (Read 8205 times)

0 Members

Offline Turia

• Volunteer
modify
My Diary - Finally a mummy...
« Reply #30 on: 18/01/18, 13:44 »
Wee Man T is 2 years, 3 months and 16 days old.

“What do you want for breakfast?” I asked Wee Man T on Monday morning.  "You can have Shreddies, Rice Crispies or Weetabix”.  A choice of Crispies was made by a hug of the box.

“Now sit down and eat these up” I added.  “Mummy thinks she is having a heart attack so we are waiting for an ambulance.  And we still have your nappy to change before Granny comes.”

And so my Monday morning began… :o

About the middle of last week onwards, I had got a tightening of the chest and I could feel my heart race and race louder.  It only happened once each night and passed quickly.  However I felt it almost all Sunday despite doing nothing other than the usual loads of laundry, dishes, toy tidy and playing with the wee man (more mess).  As I finally got to bed on Sunday night, my left shoulder and collar bone area was sore.  “Just in case I don’t wake up”, I told my OH “I love you but I love the wee man even more.”

So on Monday morning at 6am, I was for once delighted to be woken by the alarm and went for my shower.  However the left shoulder/neck pain was still there, I felt sick and despite taking 2 paracetamol the pain seemed to get worse and travelled down my left arm – the whole arm felt heavy and numb although I could move it.

I phoned the wee man’s Granny and asked her to get here a bit earlier.  I couldn’t get through to the NHS helpline and it was too early for the doctors so with a deep breath I phoned 999, then fed and changed Wee Man T and got myself dressed.

To cut a long story short, I was duly taken to hospital in the ambulance – waved off at the window by Wee Man T and his Granny.  The former all excited about an ambulance being so close  ;D  Once there, bloods were taken, vitals were monitored, lungs were x-rayed and I was hooked up to an ECG.

All came back okay – no sign of a heart attack or indeed anything else to explain the chest pains, although the arm/shoulder pain was quickly put down to lifting a 2 year old.  A virus was suggested but I certainly hadn’t felt any more under the weather than I normally do.

So 6 hours after phoning 999, I left the hospital advised to take a few days off to rest, and feeling both relieved at the news but miffed that I was now obviously of an age that when getting an x-ray, no one asked if there was any chance I could be pregnant  ^idiot^

On the Tuesday, I had a dental appointment.  I had made it the week before when I had toothache (and the initial chest pains) but it seemed to have cleared up.  I considered cancelling but figured I should just get it checked seeing I was off anyway.

“No sign of anything” said the dentist, “but we will take an x-ray just to check”.  He and his assistant left the room as the x-ray was taken – again never considering asking the pregnancy question.  I’m obviously considered well past it at the age of 50!

But again all was thankfully clear.  He wondered if it had been sinuses or neuralgia as the pain had been in my cheek bone, or perhaps some other virus. “Funny”, I replied, “it was suggested yesterday that I had had a virus”, and told him the story.

So dear diary, some lessons have been learnt.  Between doing nearly everything for Wee Man T, looking after the house and a full time job something had to slip – and that has obviously been my health.  My diet is rubbish, I can’t eat my dinner in peace never mind getting time off to exercise and in the last 15 months I have had 22 distinct colds.  No wonder I never noticed if I was ill.  I need to start looking after myself and getting fit again.  I lost 5 stone to start IVF, 2 stone went back on with 8 cycles of drugs and over 1 stone of pregnancy/stress eating at work weight is still there, so I am taking this as a warning sign.

So Happy New Year dear diary!  I haven’t had a heart attack, I don’t need a filling or root canal treatment and my  ^shake^ has been truly kicked.

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline Turia

• Volunteer
    modify
    « Reply #31 on: 2/04/18, 00:26 »
    Wee man T is 2 years and 6 months old as of this side of midnight

I'm currently sitting in the reclining chair in his room feeling like an idiot  ^idiot^ ^idiot^ ^idiot^

When I undressed him earlier for his bath, I discovered huge raised wheals on his lower back and buttocks, obviously an allergic reaction but I've no idea what to.  He hasn't been himself now for a week eating wise but today he was getting back into the idea of food so we were quite happy.  He hasn't eaten anything that he hasn't eaten before so it wasn't his nut/egg allergy....anyway that isn't the point of the story....

The wheals were the size of the palm of my hand so I rushed to give him Piriton.  We have an advice leaflet from the Allergy Clinic so I just looked at that.  I also thrust the leaflet in front of my OH's face "What do you think that dosage says?"

We both agreed that the hand written note read 2 X 5ml and so I filled the syringe and offered medicine to the wee man.  But he thought it was yucky.  Had to bribe him with chocolate to take the first dose but only managed to get about 1/2 of the second syringe in him before he spat it out.

Worried he wasn't going to get enough, I later checked the box and imagine my horror when I saw that the correct dose was 2.5 ml, 2 POINT 5.  I'd given him nearly 3 times the correct dose  ^bigbad^ ^bigbad^ ^bigbad^

I've now been worried out my mind for the last couple of hours.  Logic says all is ok, he will just be tired and will sleep late.  The leaflet with its misleading writing also said to give a second dose 10 minutes later so they obviously thought that 5ml was going to be okay....therefore I only gave a couple of ml extra.

Doesn't make me feel any better... :'(

I want so much to be the best mum possible to him, but this parenting 'adventure' is a minefield of guilt and self doubt and worry.

So the alarm will go off in 5 1/2 hours and I'm still sitting here awake and listening to his breathing....

Offline Turia

• Volunteer
    modify
    « Reply #32 on: 28/04/18, 22:45 »
    Wee man T is 2 years 6 months, 3 weeks and 5 days

Today, out of the blue and for the first time, the wee man T turned and said "I love you mummy"

^Heart^

Offline Turia

• Volunteer
    modify
    « Reply #33 on: 6/07/18, 17:09 »
    Wee man is 2 years 9 months and 4 days old

Last Friday I collected the wee guy up from nursery.  "I don't want to go home" he said.  Which makes a change as he normally doesn't want to go!

I tried asking him why?  "I'll be the only one there" he said.  Obviously said in the context of being with his friends all day and having no siblings at home - not being left home alone in case you panic  ;D

My heart was a little heavy that weekend  :'(

So sorry dear diary for the absence, just so busy between work and home.  So much to catch up on so I'll make the effort next week!
    Turia x 

Offline Turia

• Volunteer
    modify
    « Reply #34 on: 17/08/18, 11:28 »
    Wee man T is 2 years, 10 months and 15 days old

The other day, my dear son got a stick at nursery for helping to tidy up.

Once outside of nursery, he gave the sticker to me to wear so I asked why?

"Because you always tidy up at home"
     ^Heart^

Offline Turia

• Volunteer
    modify
    « Reply #35 on: 28/08/18, 00:12 »
    Wee man T is 2 years, 10 months and 25 days old

The odds were even worse than most people's IVF success rates.

Just 26%

Just 26% of children with a nut allergy will grow out of it.

However my miracle boy has had his own miracle and is now officially no longer allergic to nuts.

A few months ago, we had the prick test redone for both egg and and nuts.  His allergic response to egg had gone down and the there was no response at all to nuts.  The next tests were eating challenges.

A few weeks later we were back for the egg challenge.  It started with taping some to his skin, then rubbing his lips, then gradually feeding him small amounts.  Every 15 minutes the doze of egg got bigger and bigger until it was 2 large syringes full.  Unfortunately when the nurse came to give him his last dose, he had come out in a reaction.  So we continue to feed him hidden egg, when it is an ingredient in something....usually all the bad things like cakes,  biscuits and ice cream!  But still no scrambled eggs for him  :(

Last Thursday, we did the same again, but with crushed nuts.  It's a long day, we have to be at the Southern for 9, the last 'feed' is at 11.30 and then you have to wait another 2 hours just in case.  And all that time you have to stay in one room...although it has some fun toys for the wee one. 

But he loved the nut challenge as it was mixed in with a chocolate desert.  No stopping him!  He would go into the nurse's room and stand with his mouth open wide  :)

Since coming home he has had some Nutella on pancakes, enjoyed lots of bowls of Frosties and mummy is trying to get out the habit of reading all the ingredients when out shopping.

The egg allergy is a huge inconvenience, it is the basis of so many meal options but the nut allergy was always a worry.  Carrying Piriton everywhere, always checking if eating out or buying stuff in shops, no wonder he has a poor range of meals that he will eat.  However I said at the time of diagnosis that there are so many worse things than an allergy, and that still holds true.

Nevertheless I am thankful for one less worry.

Turia X

Offline Turia

• Volunteer
    modify
    « Reply #36 on: 17/09/18, 14:11 »
    Wee Man T is 15 days shy of turning 3

Last night his wee heart broke for his dummies  :'( :'( :'(  My heart nearly broke too  :'(   

Luckily it only lasted about 15 minutes before he was distracted by dinosaurs  ::)

Last Tuesday (6 days ago), he had put his dummy as usual in his bag on arriving at nursery at the back of 9.  When I picked him up at 5.30, he did ask for it but as he decided he didn't like that one anymore he didn't take it.  He forgot all about it and I didn't remind him until he finally went to bed several hours later.  He tried a few dummies, didn't like any of them then announced "I don't need a dummy"  ^baby2^ ^baby2^ ^baby2^ 

Our hearts lurched!  "Brilliant", we thought, "lets get rid of them".  "Panic", we thought, "he'll wake during the night crying for one."

But he never did.

Since then, he has asked for a dummy just twice.  On one occasion, he was distracted by Oola, his favourite cuddly owl and the other by chocolate  ;D

But last night, he asked again but this time then went looking only to burst into tears when he saw that the sink drainer did not have his usual pile of dummies all washed and waiting to be tasted and tested like some dummy connoisseur.  He was inconsolable for all of 15 minutes, being rocked whilst sitting on my knee.  I realised then that those dummies were his friends as well as reassurance or a comforter.

But we have gone too many nights now to revert back, so stand firm I must!

But I do feel bad...   

Offline Turia

• Volunteer
    modify
    « Reply #37 on: 19/09/18, 13:51 »
    Wee Man T is 13 days shy of turning 3

We are now a day into his second week dummy free and last night was the first night in a bed with a duvet and pillow instead of a sleeping bag.

Gosh my wee guy is all growing up fast these days...

The last big sign will be getting out of nappies but he doesn't seem keen on that yet! 

Hopefully the bedtime milk along with cuddles with mummy on the big chair will last for a long time yet...

Offline Turia

• Volunteer
    modify
    « Reply #38 on: 2/10/18, 14:37 »
    The wee man T is 3!

Happy Birthday my wonderful, naughty little boy!

^birthday^

Will write my annual update as soon as possible but in the meantime...

In the words of your favourite book, I love you stinky face, you are my world  ^Heart^

Mummy x

Offline Turia

• Volunteer
    modify
    « Reply #39 on: 5/10/18, 16:41 »
    And now Happy Birthday to me!  ^birthday^

With mummy's help, he had chosen to get daddy for his birthday, a blue car that turns into a dinosaur.  He had been quite instistant that he wanted to get daddy a blue dinosaur, so a quick search on Amazon later and...voilá!

However apparently I have been given the great honour of a share in his new Spider-Man action figure (that he got for his birthday).  It makes me very special that he will share this with me  ;D ;D ;D

Turia x