* Author Topic: Diary of a very happy mammy of 3 miracles  (Read 20647 times)

0 Members

Offline Shamrock.

• Gold Member
modify
Diary of a very busy but very happy working mammy
« Reply #50 on: 27/09/18, 15:36 »
Thurs 27th Sept 2018

P is 5 Years 6.5 Mths Old
R turns 4 Years 6 Mths Old Today
J is 10 Weeks 3 Days Old

I'm writing this while sitting in the cardiology dept of a private medical centre. I've just had a consultation with a private cardiologist DM and he has sent me to have an ECG immediately after his consultation. I am to come back here for a heart echo on 17th October which is the soonest appointment I could get for that. I asked my gp to refer me to this private cardiologist after my heart health scare in July. I am hoping I will just get a few tests done and be given the all clear to forget about my stint in the coronary care unit. I'm sick to death of dealing with anything got to do with health issues but please God this will be the end of things.

Baby J is doing great. He was weighed by the public health nurse today and he is now 5.4kg (11bs 14oz)  :) He is doing really well on the oral feeds since he came home from hospital and in the last two days most of his feeds have been oral i.e. via the bottle and we have only used the ng tube at night when he is very tired or hooked up to the cpap machine. A few days ago I increased his feeds to 180mls because he seemed hungry. He is being fed every 4 hours and at night he has just started going about 6 hours without a feed. 

He is doing really good on the cpap machine too. After his 7pm bottle he stays up with us downstairs for a while then around 8pm or 8:30pm when he starts to get sleepy we put him in his cot upstairs (with sensor video monitor) and put the cpap mask on him. He doesn't cry when it goes on, I think he's just used to it now. It stays on him then until the morning around 6am. So he gets at least 9.5 hours on it. We were told by the respiratory consultant at the hospital that he needs to have at least 6 hours per night on the cpap and anything more than that is a bonus, so he gets bonus hours on it every night. I've only managed to put him on it for daytime naps once or twice because with family life he's not in a routine of set times for long daytime naps yet. I know the cpap is having the desired effect on him because he is bright and alert during the day and he is interacting well with us and looking around at everything going on  :)

P and R are getting on great too. P absolutely loves primary school. She loves her teacher and has made new friends. She is already learning to read and write. So far they are concentrating on the the letters c and a. They are learning reading by phonics and writing by tracing. The first letter they wrote was "c". She gets homework Mon to Thurs which is something like colouring or tracing or cutting things out. She is learning a lot about nature (at the moment it's all about hedgehogs) and her class goes on nature trails and they have outdoor picnics when the weather is nice which it has been for the last week or two.

As part of Ps homework she gets a book to bring home (she gets a new book each week) and either me or DH is supposed to read the book to her and explain things in it and answer any questions she has about the story etc. So we have started a new bedtime routine every night whereby at bedtime P and R change into their pyjamas and I sit on the couch with them. Me in the middle, P on my right, R on my left and J on my knee in the middle and I read the story with them  :)

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline Shamrock.

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #51 on: 5/10/18, 07:38 »
    Friday 5th October 2018

J is 11 Weeks 4 Days Old

I rejoined Weight Watchers (WW) on Wednesday and I have 20.5lbs to loose to get to my goal weight  :o
    On my home scales I'm 11.5lbs over the weight I was before I became pregnant with J. I'm not surprised I weigh as much as I do because I was eating chocolate and other naughty stuff every day for the 5 weeks J was in hospital. I'm a comfort eater...most people loose weight when they are stressed... I'm the opposite...If I'm stressed or unhappy I can't stop eating rubbish and I pile on weight.

I have struggled with my weight over the last 8 years when we were having fertility treatment. Every time I had a failed cycle or a miscarriage I would comfort eat like a woman possessed and pile on weight and the steroids I took for every cycle didn't help either. Anyhow, all that is behind me now so I have no excuses and I have set myself the challenge of getting back to my goal weight asap :)

J was weighed today by the public health nurse and he is now 5.71kg (12lbs 9oz). Last night was his first night of sleeping through the night! We fed him through the ng tube at 11pm and he didn't wake up until about 7:30am! Fingers crossed he does it again tonight.

Offline Shamrock.

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #52 on: 11/10/18, 10:05 »
    Thurs 11th October 2018

J is 12 Weeks 3 Days Old

I weighed in at WW yesterday and I am down 2lbs since last week so I now have 18.5lbs to loose to get to goal  :)

J is doing brilliantly. We stopped using the NG tube on Saturday because he seemed able to take all his feeds through the bottle. I am now making up 210mls in each bottle and he is drinking about 5 bottles a day on demand. He is now getting his last bottle about 11:30pm and sleeping straight through to about 8am  :) He is full of smiles and looking around and interacting well. He is extremely cute looking  :-*

Since I last posted I have booked flights for the 5 of us for our summer holidays next year! We are going to go to Lake Garda in Italy for 2 weeks at the end of June. I havenít fully decided on where we will stay yet but I have my eye on a really nice campsite with 3 bedroomed bungalows and great facilities  :)

Offline Shamrock.

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #53 on: 18/10/18, 13:38 »
    Friday 19th October 2018

P is 5 Years, 7 1/2 Months Old
    R is 4 years 6 1/2 Months Old
    J is 3 Months 3 Days Old

I was down 1lb at this week's WW weigh in so I have lost a total of 3lbs so far and I have 17.5lbs to go to my goal weight. The weather is really nice at the moment ...very mild and dry... so I am getting out for long walks with J in the buggy most days while P and R are at school. Iím also trying to watch what I eat and my portion sizes. I think I need to try to be better about what I eat when I sit down at night as I always think I deserve a treat at the end of the day when all 3 kids are finally settled in their beds/cot  ::)

We have decided on Sunday 2nd December for Js christening which is 6 weeks time so I am going to try really hard with my diet/exercise up to that so that. I bought a dress for it yesterday which fits me now but would look much better with a few more lbs gone so that will give me the motivation I need to stick with it and try my best  ::)

I had my appointment for the heart echo scan on Wednesday 17th and it went great. The technician doing it said my heart function looks completely normal  :)  :) The results of the scan and the ECG I had done a few weeks ago have to be reviewed by the consultant but hopefully that's the end of all that now  ^pray^

J was weighed by the public health nurse today and he is now exactly 6 kg (13lbs 4oz). She was really pleased with his progress  :) He will have his 3 month developmental check with her soon. I think he is doing great ...he is smiling and looking around and following things with his eyes. He is really interested in whatever P and R are doing. They are both mad about him. R sings to him and gives him his toys if he is crying and P is like a mini mammy with him  :) I havenít been doing much tummy time with him so I need to try to fit that in to our busy days. He is still on the cpap machine every night. We put the mask on him around 8pm, take it off for his 11pm feed then put it back on again. In the last week or so he has been waking up around 4am crying because the cpap mask is annoying him so we take it off completely then and he settles back to sleep until after 8am. We have an appointment with the respiratory team in the hospital on 3rd December to see how his breathing is now and how he is doing on the cpap. We also have an appointment with the speech and language therapist there next Friday 26th October to see how he is doing with feeding and swallowing. 

P is doing brilliantly in school and she loves it. Iím amazed at how much she has learned already in the 8 weeks she has been in primary school.  She has learned to read loads of words already and can write the letters ďcĒ and ďaĒ and the numbers ď1Ē and ď2Ē. She can sound out the letters a, c, d, g and o using phonics and she has a word pack with about 20 words in it she can read from memory ..the, and, go, I, am, Hello, Goodbye, a, They, said, round ....etc etc  I have a parent-teacher meeting with her teacher Miss G on Monday so Iím looking forward to hearing what she makes of P  :) P has PE every Monday and Friday and they have started doing GAA skills training on a Friday with a coach who comes into the school. P told me that she overheard the coach telling Miss G today that she is the best child in the class of 30 at the skills he was teaching them... I wouldnít be a bit surprised if she is because she is just naturally very athletic and competitive  :)

R is doing great too although I had to bring him to the gp this morning because he was out of sorts and had a temperature of 39.4 degrees last night. The doctor diagnosed tonsillitis so he will be on antibiotics for 10 days. He is doing really well in pre-school and his speech has come on brilliantly lately. He amazes me with all the words he knows and can now pronounce correctly. He loves duplo lego and has gotten really good at making things from it. He is also getting much better at drawing  :) R lives for messing - He is always trying to make us laugh. He is always in a good mood and is a lot more even tempered than P who can be very fiery  :) He loves Halloween...He talks about Halloween all year round ...so I have decorated our house with spooky things and R gets great mileage out of them. Weather/Tonsillitis permitting we are hoping to go to a pumpkin patch tomorrow to pick out pumpkins to carve so R is very excited about that  :)

People are always asking me how well do P and R get on together...they get on great together most of the time but some days (like most siblings) they fight like anything. They have very different personalities with R being much more easy going than P so P is the boss of the relationship and poor R never gets to decide the games they play or make up the rules  :)

DH is going away with work soon...he has gone on trips to Saudi Arabia, UAE and Iran the last few years but this year his trip is to Sydney, Australia! Iím so jealous  ::) He is flying out on 6th Nov and back on 14th Nov so I will have 8 days on my own managing the 3 kids ... Iím sure I will survive but I will miss his help with them in the evenings/weekend and of course I will miss his company. Iím having a much needed lie in this morning (hence having time to update here) and DH has just brought me up a lovely healthy cooked breakfast in bed  :-*

Offline Shamrock.

• Gold Member
    Thurs 25th October 2018

J is 14 Weeks 3 Days Old

I was down another 2 lbs at yesterday's WW weigh in so I'm now down 5 lbs and I have 15.5lbs to go to my ultimate goal weight  :)
    I'm delighted with 2 lbs down in a week. Now I just have to keep up the hard work :)

I had an appointment this morning for a heart echo at my local hospital ...Yes I know I had a heart echo done last week but that was at a private clinic and this one was at a public hospital. The private one last week cost me Ä190. This one was free and I thought it was much more thorough. The sonographer today spent much longer doing it and she took loads of pictures and measurements. I will have a follow up with the public consultant to discuss findings.

Offline Shamrock.

• Gold Member
    Sunday 4th November 2018

J is 15 Weeks 6 Days Old (3 Months 2.5 Weeks Old)
    J totally surprised me this evening by rolling over for the first time  :)  ^milestone^
    I had him on his tummy on the playmat for tummy time and he rolled over onto his back!

Offline Shamrock.

• Gold Member
    Thurs 8th November 2018

P is 5 Years 8 Months Old
    R is 4 Years 7.5 Months Old
    J is 16 Weeks 3 Days Old

What a difference a year makes! On 7th November last year I had embryo transfer of 2 hatching blasts one of which grew into J, the cutest most smiley baby on the planet  :)

My first AF since J was born started today. Iím delighted itís here because it means my hormones must be finally settling down after the birth. I felt really hormonal and down in the dumps a few days ago so at least now I know it was just PMT  ::)

I missed WW last week because P and R were off school on mid term break and I couldnít bring the 3 kids to a WW meeting. I went off the rails a bit with all the Halloween candy in the house and this week I am 1lb up and I now have 16.5lbs to go to goal.

P dressed up as Wonderwoman for Halloween, R dressed up as a pirate and J just wore an orange pumpkin sleepsuit.  They had great fun when we went trick or treating around the neighborhood  :)

DH is away in Australia with his work at the moment. He left very early Tuesday morning and heís not back til next Thursday. Iím managing the kids and house etc fine without him. Our childminder T has been a great help  :) :)

Offline Shamrock.

• Gold Member
    Sunday 18th November 2018

J is 4 Months 2 Days Old (17 Weeks 6 Days Old)

J turned 4 months old on Friday  :)
    He had his 3 month developmental check-up with the public health nurse on Wednesday 14th Nov. She weighed and measured him. He now weighs 6.6kg (14lbs 8oz), he is 64cm long and his head circumference is 40.9cm. He is on the 50th percentile for his length. She checked how he is able to turn his head and said that he is better at turning it to the right rather than the left so she is referring him to a physiotherapist to be checked. She is not overly concerned about it as itís just slight but said it is better he is checked now rather than left go until he is older if there is an issue. I think myself itís from the position I feed him in so I need to change that.

At the moment J is in 3-6 month old babygros, he wears size 3 nappies and he drinks 5 x 8oz (240ml) bottles of formula a day.

The dietician at the childrenís hospital where J was a patient rang me for an update of his weight etc and she is really pleased with his progress and said that I am to get his weight checked again in a months time and if itís still progressing well she will discharge him from her area and we wonít need to get his weight checked for her again  :)

I forgot to record here that Js appointment with the speech and language therapist at the hospital on 26th October went really well. She was also really pleased with his progress and how he is able to swallow etc so she signed him off from her area that day and said she doesnít need to see him again unless we have any concerns ourselves  :)

J has an appointment on Monday 3rd December with the respiratory consultant at the hospital and hopefully they will arrange for him to have a sleep study done to check how his breathing is now when he is asleep. He is still wearing the cpap mask at night but he is able to pull it off himself during the night so I donít know how many hours a night he gets in total on it. The cpap machine has a computer chip in it which we have to download before the appointment which will inform the respiratory team regarding how many hours per night etc he has done on it at home.

I did well on my weight loss at my Wednesday WW weigh in. I was down 2lbs on my previous weight so Iím now down a total of 6lbs since I rejoined WW. I changed my goal weight to 9 St 10lbs and I now have 11.5lbs to go to get to goal.

DH arrived home from Australia on Thursday. Itís great to have him home. I missed him especially at the weekend  :-* I didnít tell P and R he was coming home that day so that he could surprise them by picking them up from their schools...They were thrilled  :)

P and R say and do loads of things every day Iíd love to record so that I always have the memories but Iíd never be off the iPad if I did that so I will just record snippets when I get the chance:

Yesterday evening I decided to bring R with me in the buggy when I went for a walk. He seemed like a giant in it compared to J  :) Itís a long time since I brought R for a walk in the buggy. We were out for over an hour and I throughly enjoyed it. R is a real chatterbox. He never stopped talking all the way. I pushed the buggy into town and we looked in all the shop windows down Main Street at all the Xmas decorations that are on display. R loves occasions such as Halloween, Easter and Christmas so he was absolutely delighted to be checking out all the Xmas displays.

On the way home we passed by a miniature rose bush and R asked if he could pick a rose to bring home to P so I let him. He said he couldnít wait to give P the rose because it would make her very happy and she would give him a big hug  ^hugme^ He said he loves P and he wants to marry her when he grows up and then she will be his wife. He said when they are married they will live in our house with me and DH and they will help us take care of J  ;D ....Awhhh the innocence  :)

I was talking to P and R the other day about what they want to be when they grow up and R said he doesnít want to be a farmer because he doesnít want to grow a beard  ;D P said she wants to be both a doctor and a vet because she wants to help sick people and she loves animals. She said she is going to be a doctor on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays and a vet on Thursdays and Fridays and sheís not going to work at the weekends so that she can just have fun and relax then  :) She said she would like to look after sick children but she doesnít want to work in a hospital because she doesnít like walking. I asked her what does walking have to do with it and she said if she worked in a hospital all the patients would be in different rooms and she would have to walk from one room to the other all over the hospital and she wouldnít like that  ;D She told R if he hurts his leg or anything when she is a doctor he can come to see her and she will make him better but he has to take whichever doctor is free at the time so he might not get treated by her if she is busy with another patient  :)

R often says that he doesnít want to grow up and that he wants to stay a kid forever because he loves being a kid....Awhhhh   :)

Both P and R say things every day that make me giggle  :)

Offline Shamrock.

• Gold Member
    Wednesday 21st November 2018

J is 18 Weeks 2 Days Old (4 Months 5 Days Old)

I started J on solids 3 days ago  ^milestone^
    The public health nurse said he could start on them once he reached 17 weeks old. So far Iíve just given him very small portions of baby porridge and also baby rice mixed with purťed carrot. He seems to love the baby porridge. I will be taking it very slowly with him. I think itís a great achievement for him to be starting on solids and to be able to swallow them without issues seeing that he had such a rocky start with his throat surgery and having to be ng tube fed for a while. Iím very proud of how well he is doing now and Iím very grateful for his health.

Last night was the first night he slept completely through the night!  ^milestone^
    He had his last bottle about 7pm and he slept from about 7:30pm last night until 8:15am this morning  :) Up to this we had been waking him at about 11pm for a bottle and he was sleeping then until around 8:15am but last night both myself and DH were tired so we went to bed early and decided not to wake him for the dream feed. Fingers crossed he does it again tonight  :)

I hadnít gained or lost any weight when I weighed in at WW this morning so I still have 11.5lbs to go to goal.

Offline Shamrock.

• Gold Member
    Friday 23rd November 2018

I had a smear test done this morning and the nurse doing it said the last time I had one done was November 2014. WTF 4 years ago! I had abnormal smears and a colposcophy about 12 or 13 years ago and since then I am supposed to have smear tests done once a year. I can't believe I have left it go so long this time without having it done but I suppose with all the fertility treatments, miscarriages and other issues in the last few years it slipped off my radar. Fingers crossed all will be ok on it. The nurse said it takes about 16 weeks for the results to come back because they are so busy! (Note to self: 16 weeks from now is 15th March)

I forgot to record on my last update that I had a consultation on Monday with the public system cardiologist Mr F as a follow up to the heart echo I had done on 25th October. Thankfully he said everything looks back to normal with my heart now so he doesn't need to see me again unless I have any issues in the future. He said that they are attributing the heart problem I had in July to the physiological effects of Js pregnancy on my body.

He also said that studies show that women who have experienced peripartum caridiomyopathy are more at risk of heart problems in later life. He said all I can do to try to avoid that is to not smoke and try to maintain a healthy weight and exercise regularly. I don't smoke and I am working on the other two so I am going to put all this heart stuff behind me now and I am not going to worry about what may or may not happen in the future. I didn't tell DH what he said about that because I don't want him worried about me.