* Author Topic: Diary of a very happy mammy of 3 miracles  (Read 20642 times)

0 Members

Offline Shamrock.

• Gold Member
modify
Diary of a very happy mammy of 3 miracles
« Reply #90 on: 31/08/19, 08:02 »
Saturday 31st August 2019

P is 6 Years 5.5 Months Old
R is 5 Years 5 Months Old
J is 13.5 Months Old

There have been a couple of milestones reached since I posted a week ago.

R started in big school ( junior infants in primary school) on Thursday 29th August  ^milestone^   and J has started walking ...he took his first magical steps yesterday! ^milestone^

P also started back in school on Thursday. She is now in Senior Infants  :) She was delighted to be going back to meet up with her friends again even though she's had plenty of playdates with them during the summer holidays. She loves her new (subsitute) teacher and she loves learning so I have no worries about her at all.

R was absolutely fine starting in school. He has bravely gone straight in both days so far without any tears or hesitation at all. I worry a bit about him making friends because he is quite shy but hopefully he will be ok. He looks very handsome and grown up in his uniform  :)

J is now calling DH "Daddy" instead of "DaDa"...so he spends his days now either calling "Mammy" or "Daddy" non stop  :)

I'm delighted that both myself and DH were at home together with J to see him taking his first steps  :) Once J realised he could walk a few steps by himself he determinedly kept trying to do it . So far he can take about 4 or 5 steps on his own before he falls down  :)

Thursday 29th August also marked one year since J had his throat surgery at 6 weeks old. He has done so well since then but  he still has to wear his CPAP mask at nighttime and I still sometimes hear a raspy sound in his breathing. I am waiting for a review appointment for him at the children's hospital.

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline Shamrock.

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #91 on: 2/10/19, 21:47 »
    Wednesday 2nd October 2019

P will be 6 Years 7 Months Old in 5 days time
    R is 5 years 6 Months Old
    J is 14.5 Months Old

Itís just over a month since I last posted here and as usual there is plenty going on!

J has been diagnosed as being highly allergic to peanuts, eggs and milk  :-\ He is at risk of having an anaphylaxis reaction so I now have to scrutinize everything he eats and make sure there is an epi-pen with him at all times  :o

A couple of weeks ago I gave J some peanut butter on a cracker with some strawberries and black grapes and almost immediately he developed red blotches all over his face. I watched him to make sure he was ok and after about 45 minutes his cute little face went back to normal. I wasnít sure which foodstuff had caused the rash so I promptly forgot about it. A few days later I gave him some peanut butter on toast and again he immediately developed red blotches and hives all over his face and chest worse than the first time. He was pulling at his face so it must have been itchy. The skin under his eyes also went dark  :o Again I watched him to make sure his breathing was ok and again after about 45 minutes he went back to normal. My childminder told me that she had given J scrambled eggs for lunch one day and he had gotten a bad rash on his face.

I made an appointment for him to see the gp who referred him to a pediatrician in our local hospital. I opted to pay Ä150 for him to be seen privately so I got an appointment about a week later. The pediatrician organised for J to have an allergy blood test and another week later I paid Ä100 for him to give me the results and a prescription for 4 epi-pens.   

The consultant didn't offer any advice on how I should manage J allergies except to make sure I am aware that he is at significant risk of anaphylaxis which is a life threatening condition. He just said I need to make sure he avoids eggs and all nuts especially peanuts. He didn't seem as concerned about J avoiding milk even though the blood test results show he is highly allergic to it.

I brought J to see the gp again yesterday evening and at my request she prescribed a milk and egg free formula for making up boppys for J which he still has at naptimes and bedtime. She is also going to refer him to a dietician.

Offline Shamrock.

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #92 on: 12/10/19, 08:06 »
    Saturday 12th October 2019

P is 6 Years 7 Months Old
    R is 5 Years 6.5 Months Old
    J will be 15 Months Old in 4 days time

I havenít heard anything from the dietician about an appointment for J yet. Itís through the public system so Iím sure I will be waiting quite a while.

J point blank refuses to drink the formula the gp prescribed for him. It smells foul so I wouldnít blame him. He is now drinking soya milk for 1 to 3 year olds and he seems to like it. He has also eaten soya yoghurt but refuses to eat milk free cheese which also smells disgusting. My gp said that too much soya might not be good because of the estrogen content but if itís the only nut free dairy substitute he will eat or drink what can I do without proper dietary advice ??? Iím concerned about him getting enough calcium to help his bones develop. A pharmacist told me yesterday about an alternative formula so I will see if the gp will prescribe that instead. His nappys are much better since I stopped him drinking milk and eating ordinary cheese and yoghurts.

J is doing great developmentally. He is now walking quiet steadily and only crawling occasionally. He is a climber! He loves climbing on the couch and anything else that looks dangerous. I have put a soft mat in front of the couch in the kitchen and after a few falls, J has learned how to get up and down off the couch properly.
    He also loves climbing up the stairs. If anyone leaves the stair gate open for even a second he seems to know and seizes the opportunity to climb up as quickly as possible.
    He has a few words. He can now call R by his name and pronounces it correctly and he calls me ĎMammyí and DH ĎDaddyí  :) He also says Ďballí. He absolutely loves playing with a ball so maybe he will be the next Ronaldo  :)
    P always wears hairbands and J loves taking them off her head and putting them on his own head. He also tries to put on shoes and he tries to brush his own hair with Ps hairbrush so he is learning what different objects are for  :) If you say to him "Show me your hair" or "Where is your hair" he pulls at his own hair  :) I haven't tried to teach him any other body parts yet. He also understands comands like if I say "Give the toy to Daddy" and DH is in another room he will bring the toy to him  :)

R is getting on well in school and my fears about him not making friends were thankfully unfounded. He seems to have 3 boys that he is friends with in school that he talks about quiet a bit. One of the boys F lives around the corner from us so R also plays with him in the evenings outside the front whenever the weather permits. R also suddenly seems to have lots of friends in the neighbourhood. He used to only be friends with L the little girl next door but now he plays with a gang of 4 boys and they often knock on our door to ask if R can come out to play. I'm delighted because it is bolstering his confidence and social skills.

P is getting on well in school too. Thankfully I never have a problem with either P or R not wanting to go to school. P is brilliant at reading, writing and maths. She loves learning and picks things up very quickly. She seems to have become very mature lately. She still goes to ballet every Tues and she has her first ballet exam in a few weeks. Since September I have been sending her to an art class every Wednesday evening. It's for 7 to 12 year olds but the art teacher agreed to let P try it out even though she is only 6 so she is the youngest and smallest in the class but she bravely goes in by herself every week and really enjoys it. She is learning art with different mediums like clay modelling, painting, prints etc

Both P and Rs parent teacher meetings are on 23rd October so I will find out then what the teachers think of them.

I've already booked our family holiday for next year! I booked it about a month ago. I wanted to book it early while the flights are still cheap for next summer. Anyhow, all 5 of us are going to Lanzarote for 2 weeks at the end of May/start of June  :)

Offline Shamrock.

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #93 on: 7/11/19, 15:22 »
    Thursday 7th November 2019

P is 6 Years 8 Months Old
    R is 5 Years 7.5 Months Old
    J is 15.5 Months Old

Today marks two years since I had embryo transfer for the successful cycle that resulted in our son J  :)

I contacted Serum yesterday to ask what our options are in relation to the 4 frozen blastocysts we still have stored there from that last cycle. Penny has replied to me outlining our options and I have gone back to her with more questions. Our family is definitely complete so we need to decide what to do with those remaining embryos  ???  ???

P & Rs parent/teacher meetings went great. Ps teacher basically said she is great at everything. She seemed really impressed by Ps independent writing. All the children in Ps class had to write a couple of sentences by themselves without any guidance at all regarding the subject etc. She showed me what P had written about Autumn and Halloween. She said it was really good for her age/stage :)

Rs teacher said he is getting on very well too. I was a bit concerned that he was not grasping the sight words but she said he is doing fine at them. She said he sometimes holds his pencil incorrectly when writing but he is improving with that. She said he can be quiet shy in class when he has to ask for something but can also be quiet boisterous and silly during PE. She said he is doing well overall so no need to worry about him  :) She didn't mention how he is doing at Irish and I forgot to say it to her but I am very impressed myself how good he is at knowing the Gailge words for things in pictures during his homework. 

Offline Shamrock.

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #94 on: 8/12/19, 14:17 »
    Sunday 8th December 2019

P is 6 Years 9 Months Old
    R is 5 Years 8.5 Months Old
    J is 16.5 Months Old

Itís a month since I posted. Itís hard to find a few minutes to myself to update.

P had her first ever proper ballet exam on 12th November it was the Royal Academy of Dance primary level exam. I took a half day off work to bring her to it. She was nervous before it but she said she did it without making mistakes. Nobody is allowed in the room for the exam except the pupil, examiner and person doing the music so I didnít see her perform on the day but I did see her dance during rehearsals and I was amazed at how much she is able to do and how graceful and elegant she looks doing it. Parents arenít allowed into her weekly ballet class either coz it distracts the kids so I hadnít seen her dance since she was in the ballet show last May.  The results of the exam wonít be out until January but regardless of how she did in it I am extremely proud of her for learning all the dances and bravely performing in the exam  :)

The Christmas school plays are on this week. This year P is one of the narrators of her class play so she had a lot of lines to learn off by heart. I helped her with them and she has them all off to a T now. In Rs nativity play he is the inn-keeper and he has a couple of lines to say. I canít wait to see both of them. I have a mandatory training course for work on Thursday..the day the plays are on...but there is no way Iím going to miss them so Iím going to come out of the training for an hour or two to attend them.

I started in a new Division in work two weeks ago. Itís completely different to what I was doing so I have a lot to learn but itís very interesting work so I think I will like it once I get a handle on things. Itís much busier than where I was and I now have 5 staff members reporting directly to me and I have to manage their workload on a daily basis and do performance reports on them etc. I had asked for a move because I was getting fed up of where I was and a new guy had joined my previous area who I found extremely annoying so Iím happy with this new challenge and happy to be away from Mr annoying  :)

J is flying it developmentally. He only walks and runs now and never crawls anymore. He seems to have new words every day. In addition to the words he already had, he can now say ĎBabyí, ĎShoeí and ĎMoreí in the correct context and perfect pronunciation :)

He was sick with an ear and throat infection last week and I ended up in the paediatric unit of our local hospital with him for a day but thankfully they didnít admit him in.

Since he was sick we cannot get him to wear his cpap mask at night even though he is supposed to wear it every night. He goes ballistic when he sees it now. We try to get it on him when he is asleep. I have to hold his hands down while DH puts on the mask but he always wakes up and screams the house down and pulls it off. Iím at my wits end with it. I feel awful for getting him so distressed but he needs it. We did a home oximetry test on him in September, two nights off cpap and 1 night on cpap and the report from the hospital showed he is still having desaturations when he is asleep i.e. his oxygen levels are still falling below the desired level when he is in a deep sleep. He is not having as many desaturations as before his throat surgery but he is having some.

He is on a waiting list for an overnight detailed sleep study and oximetry test as an inpatient in the childrenís hospital. At the time he joined the waiting list in September there was 347 children on the list waiting for the same thing  :-\ We were told he will get it done early next year but I wonít hold my breath because we are still waiting for an out patient appointment since the one we were supposed to have in October was canceled by the hospital because our consultant left the hospital. I have phoned a few times to enquire about when our appointment will be rescheduled and I am always told we just have to wait. Our health service is a joke in many regards  :-\
    Iím going to ring the respiratory team at the hospital tomorrow to ask their advice about what to do about J not wearing his mask.

I finally got an appointment for J with the community dietician. Itís on 16th December so I Ďonlyí had to wait 2 1/2 months for him to be seen there ???

Offline Shamrock.

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #95 on: 11/01/20, 08:11 »
    Saturday 11th January 2020

P is 6 Years 10 Months Old
    R is 5 Years 9.5 Months Old
    J will be 18 Months Old in 5 days time

Happy New Year! At the start of every new year I wonder what this year will have in store for my little family...hopefully health and happiness for everyone :)

We had a nice quiet Christmas. All 3 of the kids were sick in the few weeks leading up to Christmas with colds, ear infections and throat infections. At one stage all 3 of them were on different antibiotics at the same time! Poor J had to have two lots of antibiotics. Anyways thankfully they were all better in time for Christmas day and they were able to really enjoy Santa coming and the two week holidays from school. Both myself and DH were off work for two weeks too so we all had plenty of lie-ins and lazy days. We didnít venture far from the house because we were afraid of the kids catching fresh colds etc but one of the days we went to Explorium (a science based play centre) which we all really enjoyed.

I didnít bring J to the dietician in December in the end because he was sick with an ear/throat infection the day of the appointment. I spoke to the dietician on the phone and I have just been winging it myself since. Thankfully he hasnít had any more bad allergic reactions to anything since.

J still will not wear his cpap mask at night for us  :-\ After many phone calls to the childrenís hospital we now have an appointment for him with the respiratory consultant on the 30th January.

J is flying it developmentally. He has loads of words now. I made a list of the words he can say and there are 23 words on it including 'Juice', 'Teddy', 'Sock' and 'Cat'. He says 'Night Night' when he is going to bed or for a nap and 'Day Day' when we are going out somewhere. Amazingly he often now tells me if he wants his nappy changed.  If he is wet or dirty he will pull at his nappy and say 'Poo Poo'  :)

We got some really sad news yesterday that a friend of DHs who was only 47 years old passed away from cancer. He has 2 children, a 15 year old boy and another boy the same age as P. It was a big shock for us to hear about it and has knocked us both for six  :'(

Offline Shamrock.

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #96 on: 25/01/20, 08:28 »
    Saturday 25th January 2020

It seems like the winter of never ending illnesses!

Since I last posted I had to go to the gp because I had a sore throat for at least two weeks and I was diagnosed with a throat infection and ear infection. Thankfully after a course of antibiotics I am fully better again.

J is sick again at the moment - this time he has a chest infection   :-\ He had a cough and runny nose but then Wednesday evening when he got up from his nap I could hear a crackly sound in his breathing and I noticed he was breathing rapidly. I got an appointment for him with the out of hours gp service. The out of hours gp told us to immediately bring him to the paediatric department of our local hospital because of 'respiratory distress' and after a few hours there and a chest xray he was diagnosed with a chest infection and given yet another course of antibiotics. I think this is his 3rd lot of antibiotics since November  :-\

J has his appointment with the respiratory consultant next week on 30th January and we have also finally got his appointment for the overnight sleep study in the children's hospital on 19th February. He still won't wear his cpap mask for us!

Offline Shamrock.

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #97 on: 8/02/20, 13:16 »
    Saturday 8th February 2020

P is 6 Years 11 Months Old
    R is 5 Years 10.5 Months Old
    J is 18.5 Months Old

Jís appointment with the respiratory consultant FR went fine. Basically she just said we will have to wait until he has the overnight sleep study done on the 19th Feb to see if he still needs the cpap at night or not. I told her we canít get him to wear the cpap mask anymore and she said if the overnight oximetry shows he still needs it they might have to admit him into the hospital for a few days  ??? Fingers crossed it doesnít come to that  ^pray^

He is still flying it developmentally. There are now 31 words on my list of words he is able to say in the right context. He can now say his own name which is very cute to hear. He can also now say his sister Ps name so he can call everyone in the family now. Other words he is able to say include  Ďstuckí, Ďdoorí, Ďbagí, Ďgoneí and Ďbookí  :) He is extremely cute looking. He is absolutely mad about DH who is great with him. He is a very busy little fella who cannot sit still at all and who can turn a tidy room upside down in 30 seconds flat  :)

P and R are doing great too. They both seem to have grown much taller lately. P lost her 5th baby tooth the other day and R has been complaining of sore gums today so Iíd say his adult teeth are starting to come down too. I brought both of them for their annual checkup with the dentist a few weeks ago. The dentist said both of them have great teeth with no blemishes at all. I said to him that P had at that stage got 4 adult teeth since the previous year and he told me that she actually has 8 adult teeth, she has 4 adult teeth at the back of her mouth that I didnít know about in addition to the 4 adult ones at the front! I have her booked in with the dentist to get fluoride varnish applied to her back adult teeth next week to help prevent cavities.

We have had no child-minder for the last two weeks because our lovely child-minder T was in hospital. She had told me on a Monday evening that she was 11 weeks pregnant, due in August and that she wouldnít be able to work for us anymore once the baby would come. I was happy for her coz she would make a lovely mum but I was not looking forward to having to tell the kids she wouldnít be minding them anymore or looking for a new child-minder because T has been with us for the last three and half years and the kids love her. Anyhow on the Thursday of the same week she had to go to the hospital because she was getting bad cramps in her tummy and she was diagnosed with a molar pregnancy  :'( She had to have a d&c on the Friday then her heart rate was very high and she needed to have a blood transfusion  :o She has been off work since then but she told me she will be back to us next week. DH and I both took half days off work every day while we were without her. I worked in the mornings and looked after the kids in the afternoons and DH looked after them in the mornings and went to work in the afternoons.

The same day J had his hospital appointment, my mum had an appointment for an oncology scan and thankfully it went well and she doesnít need to be seen again until May. She has had throat cancer twice (despite never smoking or drinking alcohol in her life). She is in remission about ten years now but her checkups are always a bit nerve wracking.

DH and I are planning on having a kitchen extension built and some refurbishments done in our house so I have applied for a sizable loan with the credit union. The credit committee are going to decide on my loan application this coming Tuesday so fingers crossed we get the go ahead  ^pray^

Offline Shamrock.

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #98 on: 15/03/20, 08:24 »
    Sunday 15th March 2020

P is 7 Years 8 Days Old
    R is 5 Years 11.5 Months Old
    J will be 20 Months Old Tomorrow

The world is a much different place than it was when I last posted 5 weeks ago...we are now gripped by a global pandemic ...Covid 19 / Coronavirus  :o :o It's all everyone is talking about and it is very worrying. At the moment there are 157,129 cases diagnosed and 5,839 deaths worldwide. In the Republic of Ireland (ROI) so far there are 129 cases diagnosed and 2 people have died from it  :-\ The first case was diagnosed in ROI on Sat 29th Feb so in 2 weeks we have gone from 1 case to 129 cases and I'm sure there are many more which just haven't been diagnosed as yet. The government closed all schools, universities and childcare facilities on Thursday 12th March and they are meant to reopen on Monday 30th March but they probably won't.  So far both myself and DH have been told to go to work as normal and we are lucky we are able to because our childminder comes into our house.

It was Ps 7th birthday last Saturday 7th March and as it was before all the advice to restrict playdates etc because of the coronavirus I invited 4 of Ps friends over to our house for a playdate and I brought them all to Eddie Rocketts for lunch. They had a great time.

It will be Rs 6th birthday on 27th March and I had booked a  birthday party in a local gym for both R and P next Saturday 21st but of course I cancelled it when the schools closed.

Offline Shamrock.

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #99 on: 22/03/20, 13:11 »
    Sunday 22nd March 2020 - Motherís Day

P is 7 Years 2 Weeks Old
    R will be 6 Years Old in 5 Days Time
    J is 20 Months Old

One week on from my last post and things are looking even more grim regarding the Covid-19 pandemic. There are now 316,629 cases and 13,599 deaths worldwide. In the Republic of Ireland there are now 785 cases diagnosed and 3 people have died from it  :o Thankfully myself, DH, P, R and J are all fine.

Last Sunday evening the Government announced that all pubs, bars and nightclubs in the country had to close. They had already put a ban on indoor events with more than 100 people and outdoor events with more than 500. A lot of businesses in our town have closed as they canít enforce the social distancing rule of staying at least 1 meter away from another person and everything is so uncertain for everyone that nobody is buying anything that isnít a necessity. Itís estimated that more than 140,000 people in Ireland have lost their jobs in the last 3 weeks  :o We are lucky that I am in a permanent Government job and DH is in a permanent job also but we expect to face big pay cuts as the country goes into recession  :-\ DHs company will probably have to lay people off but we are hoping his job will be safe as he is with the company about 12 years.

As a family we are following all the advice given about social distancing. Myself and DH are staying at home except for grocery shopping and work. I am now set up with a login to work remotely from home although I havenít started doing it yet.  We are not letting P, R and J play with other children. We have only been letting them play in the back garden and we have not brought them anywhere except to forests in the local mountains for nature treks away from other people which we have all really enjoyed. We got a trampoline for our back garden and we spent a few hours yesterday putting it together so P and R now have a good way of burning off their excess energy although it has created a lot of rows between them about whose turn it is in it etc ::) J also loves bouncing in it  :)

J is developing great. He now has so many words I wouldnít be able to count them. He can tell us exactly what he wants so thatís another one in the house giving me demands now  ::) He is very very cute looking. He is able to run and climb and throw a ball etc so thankfully we have no worries at all about his development. He is still very attached to DH which is lovely to see.

J had his overnight sleep study done on 19th February. We were told it could take up to 6 weeks for the results of it and we haven't heard from them yet. He still won't wear his cpap mask at night.

I am very worried about J catching the coronavirus because of his history of breathing difficulties  ??? I am worried about R catching it also because he is on inhalers for asthma but of course I don't want anyone in our house to get it. It would be a nightmare to have to try to look after the kids if either/both myself or DH got it as from what I've seen on tv and read even a healthy person with no underlying health issues could be very ill with it. It's supposed to be like bad pneumonia  :o