* Author Topic: OHSS in your 40s  (Read 1309 times)

0 Members

Offline Mapple

• Un-Ranked
modify
OHSS in your 40s
« Reply #10 on: 5/12/16, 08:52 »
Hi Ladies,

it seems OHSS is much more common than they tell us. Or perhaps we were unlucky?
I wish they had told me, I would have asked for a higher dose of painkillers when I was dismissed from EC and DH would have taken another day off job the next day, when I was really sore.

At least it seems to go fast enough... I still can't believe I can breath with full lungs!

Mummy that's excellent news :) What week are you now?

No I haven't seen anyone with a similar name on that thread, I just wondered whether you were there too as it is very active (unsurprisingly) and I haven't learnt all their nicknames yet!

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline MummyWalnut

• Un-Ranked
    • All is possible with Prayer
    modify
    OHSS in your 40s
    « Reply #11 on: 6/12/16, 17:18 »
    Hambone, thanks for chiming in and all your advise. It really took me by surprise because I didn't even think it was possible at 40 plus! Like you my Estrodial levels were high but I was considered low risk.
    Anyway, it's important that we are getting the message out there to increase awareness.

Yes Mapple, seems more common than they let on. I'm glad you're feeling better. The loss of breath was quite frightening. I can relate to your relief. I should be 5w6d today. By God's grace they'll stick  ^pray^. We transfered 3 but I'm hoping for twins  :)

Offline Mapple

• Un-Ranked
    modify
    OHSS in your 40s
    « Reply #12 on: 8/12/16, 22:39 »
    And I had my BFN today... Honestly I was negative about it since when our 7 well-performing embryos became 2 underperforming morulas and 3 underperforming blasts. Anyway we had to give it a try or we would have regretted it forever.
    No way am I going to try it again after what I've been through, also because next cycle I would be 42 and chances would be even less and still we don't know the reasons of our miscarriages.

At least my BFN counts towards one of the 70%, thus leaving better hope to others in my situation... :)

Offline MummyWalnut

• Un-Ranked
    • All is possible with Prayer
    modify
    OHSS in your 40s
    « Reply #13 on: 10/12/16, 12:34 »
    Oh Mapple, I am so sad to read about your BFN. Yes, it always worth taking a shot.... it's good you did so despite the outlook because one just never knows...... I'm also sorry you've decided this is the end of the road as far as ttc goes. For what it's worth I don't think trying at 42 would be hopeless, I just read about a 44-year old who succeeded on her 5th cycle. Whatever you finally decide, I wish you all the best. Xxx

Offline Mapple

• Un-Ranked
    modify
    OHSS in your 40s
    « Reply #14 on: 12/12/16, 09:57 »
    Thank you!
    We are going to keep trying naturally but no more IVF, for several reasons.
    I am not ok with such a number of embryos created and then left to die because they didn't reach the full blastocyst stage and could not be frozen.
    Then, our issue is early miscarriage. Tomorrow I'm having a follow-up appointment to discuss with our consultant whether we can get any information on the reason for miscarriages from the pattern our embryos have followed, but I don't think medicine offers anything more than what we have already tried. And success rates decrease sharply with age so they would be less every time.
    Another reason is, I am not convinced ohss helps. I was so swollen that I am pretty sure my womb was not the most welcoming place. And ohss risks increase when you've had it already.
    Finally I am concerned about health threats. All those medicines say, don't use if you have or have had cancer. How can I be sure I don't have anything like that? I should have a full check-up before every cycle and even then I could not be sure.

So no, I am not trying again. Even if I was, my husband would not agree, after seeing me struggling for breathing so many times... We'll make the best of our condition, and try and be happy nevertheless :)