* Author Topic: Sperm fragmentation testing  (Read 1897 times)

0 Members

Offline floflo

modify
Sperm fragmentation testing
« on: 3/05/17, 20:17 »
Hi all,
Just had a chat with the lab after failed cycle (ended in MMC).
The embryologist suggested getting some Sperm fragmentation testing to help see what is happing with the sperm should we try again.
Has anyone has this test done and did you do things differently if it found to be the issue ?

Did it change anything ..?

Thanks

Flo

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline Turia

• Volunteer
    modify
    « Reply #1 on: 8/05/17, 20:56 »
    Hi Flo
    Sorry you have not had any responses to your query and very sorry about your loss  ^hugme^

There have been quite a few threads about sperm DNA fragmentation testing in the Male Issues section and it would be worth having a read through some of the older postings:  https://www.fertilityfriends.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=35.0

We had 2 oe IVF failures which were just put down to my age.  We then had 5 failures with de and only a early m/c to show for it all.  Through all the sperm tests, my OH came back as normal.  Before our last attempt, my OH had the DNA frag test and it came back as high at 47%.  He took the Wellman conception vitamins for 3 months, cut down on alcohol (but not cut out) and always used a cushion between his iPad and his 'bits'!

Our last attempt worked and we now have a 19 month old rascal  ;D

I don't know how much the success was down to the above or the other factors as we never retested.  It was a new donor and new clinic, I took steroids to suppress my immune system and a few other changes were made too.  However it certainly did no harm. If the fragmentation is high, my understanding is that the vitamins are all they would advise taking anyway so you could save money's testing by just taking the vitamins.  You should ask your clinic what advice they will give if the score comes back high, medium or low and decide on your course of action from there.  However do ask your clinic for their advice when it comes to tests or treatments as they may have additional ideas.

Good luck for the future
    Turia x

Offline floflo

modify
    « Reply #2 on: 11/05/17, 19:09 »
    thanks so much hun. this is really useful. congrats on your lil rascal xx