* Author Topic: Being an older mum & being mistaken for granny...  (Read 11590 times)

0 Members

Offline deblovescats

• Gold Member
  • 2 BFNs 2012, DS 2014, DD 2016
modify
Being an older mum & being mistaken for granny...
« Reply #30 on: 2/06/17, 14:22 »
Thanks for your lovely words elbbo.
Madalay - how amazing to have children in different life stages - you must bring such experience to it now.
I don't tell other mums how old I am either-  don't consider it any of their business. My friends and work colleagues know my age, and I haven't had any negativity from them. When I was pregnant, the community midwife informed me she was an older mum herself, but I guess not as old as me. She was lovely and very positive and said I would be an inspiration to her younger expectant mums, who tended to moan about symptoms of pregnancy etc, but she felt I was very relaxed and not moaning about it. I had great pregnancies thankfully and I was also so happy to actually be pregnant. I do worry sometimes and try not to add up the maths either, but life is as it is. I try to be fit for my little ones and to eat healthily. I plan to make sure they don't lack anything because of having an older mother.
Congrats lily  and betty.
I like the idea of a support group too.
I joined DCN and am in touch with some other single mums in the north. We are hopefully having a get together soon. I also know some older mums or would be mums - one from FF who posts on here and I so hope gets her wish soon, and one I used to work with who felt inspired by my story and is now pregnant with DE at 48.
By the way ladies - James definitely has chicken pox - the spots came out with a vengeance yesterday and today he's totally covered - got them all over. He's ok in himself. Just watching Lydia to see if she catches it.

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline ivyf

modify
    « Reply #31 on: 2/06/17, 19:25 »
    GIrlfullofhope I did exactly them same - had spent my thirties not bothered by my grey streaks (started early) thenafter having lot went and dyed it as I felt self conscious having grey hair with a baby, dh thinks I'm mad!
    Mandaley hmm no way round that you'll just hope they're too busy to notice 😬
    DEbs poor James hope your little girl misses it. I've been meaning to join dcn for ages but never seem to get round to it, nice to hear people have met others through it maybe I'll get on with it.

Offline nevertoolate

modify
    « Reply #32 on: 2/06/17, 20:02 »
    Just for general info the dcn organisation promotes telling. Just a note for those not aware of their stance.

Offline deblovescats

• Gold Member
    • 2 BFNs 2012, DS 2014, DD 2016
    modify
    « Reply #33 on: 2/06/17, 23:13 »
    Dreaming - DCN do promote telling, but there are useful contacts and info, just need to be aware of this. I'm still undecided myself.

Offline Elbbob03

modify
    « Reply #34 on: 4/06/17, 11:42 »
    Hi all - can I ask if you think dying your hair during pregnancy is ok?  My hair is dark brown and I usually have to dye my roots every 3 weeks, but I haven't dyed them for about a month now and my grey roots are really showing... but I am currently 5 weeks pregnant and am anxious not to do anything wrong. I've looked for advice but have found conflicting info - what do you think? Is it safe?

Offline ivyf

modify
    « Reply #35 on: 4/06/17, 11:55 »
    I don't know but you can use henna and indigo to dye brown hair and that's completely safe (bit messy though!) x

Offline nevertoolate

modify
    « Reply #36 on: 4/06/17, 13:41 »
    Hi
    Yes you may find the dcn useful for contacts but as they are very pro telling, contacts you make through their organisation might be pro telling also. I think once that type of information is out it is hard to back track.

Offline ivyf

modify
    « Reply #37 on: 4/06/17, 16:31 »
    Dreaming Id imagine most people who join dcn are pro telling as by the nature of joining you are telling!

Offline nevertoolate

modify
    « Reply #38 on: 4/06/17, 18:53 »
    I know so when I hear people have made contacts in there but are undecided it makes me wonder if that is a wise move.

Offline Turia

• Volunteer
    modify
    « Reply #39 on: 4/06/17, 20:32 »
    Elbbob, my hair dresser advised me it was ok to dye your hair when pregnant provided you (a) use foils to minimise contact with the scalp and (b) do a patch test first as your skin can become more sensitive.  I have to say, however that I chose not to dye my hair.  It seemed a little sacrifice to make in the scheme of things, although I did miss being blonde and not grey!  ;D ;D ;D
    Turia x