* Author Topic: ARGC versus Lister for poor responder  (Read 2148 times)

0 Members

Offline Emgirl_uk

• Un-Ranked
modify
ARGC versus Lister for poor responder
« on: 13/02/17, 10:00 »
Hello,
I'm a 35 year old with endo and have been a poor responder in my previous 4 attempts at ICSI. At our follow up at BCRM (which has been fantastic) we were told that we have a very low chance of succeeding with my own eggs, but that it was not impossible. Apparently, my ovaries responded like those of a 44 year old. I am gearing towards an egg donor, and although it will be really difficult and heart breaking, I know if that's the only option then I will totally embrace it. But, my sister in law has very generously offered to fund us a cycle at ARGC, as she's heard about the success rates. I've been doing lots of research, but I wondered if anyone can give any personal stories or advice about this...
ARGC is so expensive, and it seems like Lister might be just as good. Also, I know they do progesterone shots at ARGC and my husband works away a lot and just wouldn't be able to do it. Can you do them yourself? Does anyone know if either of those clinics would cancel if you only had 1 or 2 eggs, as I only got 2 the previous 2 times.
Sorry for the barrage of questions!

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline susie76

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #1 on: 13/02/17, 11:17 »
    Hi Emgirl,

Sorry to hear about your prognosis, I am also a poor responder and have done 3 rounds each at Lister and ARGC.  I obviously have a slight bias towards the latter as it was the one that worked!
    The main difference is the level of monitoring while you are stimming, at ARGC you are in every day for bloods and then stay for a scan every 2nd day, later on this becomes twice a day.  They tweak the dose of drugs every day to suit you.  I did feel like they were doing the best to get the best eggs.  The expense adds up because of all the extra blood tests.

It's not as 'nice' an environment as the Lister - after egg collection you wake up on a trolley next to 5 other ladies and get tea and a biscuit.  At the Lister you can pre-order your Caesar salad and use the complimentary toiletries in your private room.  Personally I don't care about that but just be prepared!

I always have lots of immune tests and treatment, which also adds up at the ARGC - costwise, each cycle is around 10-13k up to BFP (including some immunes), when I had my son I spent 26k in total as I was having frequent IVIG through the pregnancy.  Lister cycles were around 6k all in.

THe gestone shots are a bit nasty, I got my husband to do them mainly, but also roped in other friends/mother-in-law etc.  I did it myself once so it is do-able.

I had a 2 egg cycle at the Lister and it still went ahead.  My 2nd one at the ARGC I only had one follicle after 5 days, they discussed whether I wanted to cancel or not but it was up to me, we kept going and the next day another bunch of follicles cropped up, I ended up stimming for 16 days (which felt awful) and they were trying to balance between not losing the lead one and letting the others catch up.  Mr Taranissi did all my scans for the last few days as he had me marked as special case and described really well what he was trying to do!  I ended up with 7 eggs and although it didn't work out at least you feel like they are giving you the best shot.

My 3rd go at the ARGC I only got 2 eggs.  I'm hoping to go again this month and we've agreed to try a mild/natural cycle as I feel like the extra stimms are not doing much for me nowadays. 

Overall I'm sticking with the ARGC now, if you have the money and don't care about the posh environment I think they give it the best chance.  But it's a bootcamp with the daily visits and you have to be on edge all the time for the calls with daily drug instructions.

Hope that helps, happy to answer any more if you need!

Offline Emgirl_uk

• Un-Ranked
    modify
    « Reply #2 on: 14/02/17, 01:06 »
    Thanks Suzie76, that's so helpful x

Offline Teeinparis

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #3 on: 14/02/17, 06:44 »
    If you haven't I would say meet with both clinics and then decide.  The other thing the Lister may suggest for the same price as AGRC is embryo banking.  So they do three cycles and bank the embryos then test them and go from there. 

If I was doing the AGRC - I think I would book into the hotel/spa they now have to get out the stress of the clinic bootcamp.  We however, never had the money so stuck to the Lister. 

Offline Molly82

modify
    « Reply #4 on: 15/02/17, 21:33 »
    Hi Teeinparis,
    Can I just ask what protocol you were on and stuns at the Lister? ARGC is ridiculously expensive so does embryo banking at the Lister work out pretty much the same but for 3 cycles?

Many thanks
    M.

Offline Molly82

modify
    « Reply #5 on: 15/02/17, 21:34 »
    *meant to say what stims you were on*

Offline Teeinparis

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #6 on: 15/02/17, 22:03 »
    Hey - I am a decent responder but never get frosties.

I think the banking thing is about 12-15 k but there is a Lister Thread I would ask there as think someone is doing it.  We see Dr Thum.  I would say spend the 200 and have a consult and get a feel for the clinic and their recommendations. 

Serum is Greece is also worth a telephone as they don't charge for it.

Offline Hey77

• Un-Ranked
    modify
    « Reply #7 on: 19/05/17, 14:32 »
    Ladies,

I am also debating between the two, but very unsure. I have low AMH and high FSH.

Have you heard about Zita West?