* Author Topic: Help: poor responder and no eggs retrieved yesterday,  (Read 1713 times)

0 Members

Offline Sapphire7117

• Un-Ranked
 Hi all. I am kate and new to this forum and I am an emotional wreck. I am 36 and have had my first and unsuccessful ivf cycle. I responded poorly to the gonal f and only produced 2 follicles. Consultant was surprised as my hormone levels were nothing of concern but has now said ivf can unmask problems previous tests have not flagged up and this could be a sign my ovarian reserve is running out. They increased my does of gonal f the last 3 days but when I went for a scan on sat 3rd June they said my womb lining was spot on and the 2 follicles were a good size and I should go for egg collection Monday, the consultant said if I abandoned the cycle he would guarantee even on a higher dose I would get a similar response. Went for egg collection yesterday and the follies were empty. I am so upset does this mean I have no eggs left? I thought I had time yet. I don't understand because the dr at the clinic said yesterday my fsh level isn't high and last year I did tamoxifen and produced more follicles with that than with the stimulation drugs. Any help or words of advice would be much appreciated xxx

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline Hopeful_81

• Gold Member
    Hi Kate, I'm so sorry you find yourself in this position, it's really heartbreaking. I am really shocked at your doctor's response. Yes how you respond in an ivf cycle is indicative of general ovarian response but it absolutely does not mean you have run out of eggs. It could be that you started with a low antral follicle count this cycle (so fewer follicles lined up available to recruit) or that gonal f isn't the right stim drug for you. What dose were you on? Did you do long protocol/down reg? It might be that your ovaries don't like being suppressed. Have you had your AMH checked? If not, that might be worth doing. I know it doesn't feel like it now but this first cycle could be useful in giving your clinic some ideas about what to change next time to increase your chances of success. Honestly though, I am very angry with your doctor - what a way to worry you!! Have they given you any advice at all? Xx

Offline Sapphire7117

• Un-Ranked
    Thank you for your reply x I was on buserelin 2 weeks then went for a scan and had to go another week on buserelin as they said my womb lining was too thick as I was still on a period. I started gonal f 26 may and went for a scan 31st where I had 2 follicles and they told me I was responding badly and not to expect a good result. They increased gonal f from 225 to 375 from 31st may to 3 June (4 doses) and after scanning fri and sat I still had the 2 follicles. Saw the consultant saturday he said to go for egg collection Monday as This basically means my ovarian reserve is low and even if we do again on short protocol and higher dose I would respond the same. Yesterday was the awful result. We went to see him today. He said they had got it wrong with me. My fsh level is normal they didn't expect this. I asked about Amh ( I didn't know this existed it is only because I have seen on these forums ) and then he said That hasn't been checked and I could have it but would have to pay. My point with that is they should do or offer this before ivf- if as they say ivf unmasks issues other tests don't show and is the best fertility test out there-why don't they offer this before ivf so if reserves are low they put you on a better protocol. That was our NHS cycle which has now gone. He said he can guarantee I have the ovarian reserve of a 42+ year old and I will have an early menopause! We left feeling deflated.

Offline Hopeful_81

• Gold Member
    What a horrible experience you have had, you poor thing. Yes, you should have AMH checked beforehand really, it's the best way of assessing what sort of dose you need when you start out. If your doc had no idea and you had normal FSH I'm surprised they started you on 225. 150 tends to be the normal dose clinics go for (I could be wrong about that though). It sounds like you might be a poorer responder than some (although that means nothing, it is ALL about quality) and that your poor ovaries were struggling after 3 weeks of down-regging. But, you've just had a shocker of a cycle and you really can't jump to any conclusions at this stage. Give yourself a bit of time to recover then I'd get your AMH tested. Did you definitely have FSH/LH done on day 3? I would also move clinics but that is just my opinion! Where are you based? Xx

Offline Sapphire7117

• Un-Ranked
    Hiya, sorry for delay i don't know how to check when i have a reply! i think FSH was tested day 3 i can't remember as was last year. We are going to get my amh tested and go from there. it's just very disappointing that this wasn't done at the beginning then we could have tried a different protocol. it's a lot to get your head around. being told out of the blue ivf can unmask issues they weren't aware of, why don't they tell you this before! I have had all the tests etc so wasn't expecting ivf to flag problems like this. don't get me wrong i knew it would be tough, i.e eggs might not fertilise, poor quality embryos, implantation problems etc but i was prepared for that. The consultant has just left me with no hope. although i have read so much this last week and we are not giving up! x

Offline MrsMacD

modify
    Help: poor responder and no eggs retrieved yesterday,
    « Reply #5 on: 10/06/17, 12:45 »
    Hi Kate so sorry to read what you have been through.ivf  is an extremely difficult process without getting surprises along the way. Sorry the consultant left you feeling there is no hope. Unfortunately in my experience doctors can be extremely blunt. Fortunately they can't 100% guarantee anything. I certainly wouldn't give up as it is only your first try.

Although it was awhile ago I had a similar experience.  We undertook our first cycle (paid privately) and when I went in for a routine scan and hadn't responded well i was basically told by the doctor that I would need donor eggs. I felt like my world had fallen apart! It was only after this I had my amh tested as I wouldn't think it's a standard test.

We didn't use this clinic again but instead travelled much further to find a clinic that was willing to give us a go and it was the best thing we could have done. I'm sure I've read before it takes on average 3 attempts aswell (correct me if I'm wrong) so hopefully from the results of this cycle and your amh results your next cycle can be tailored to suit. Good luck x

Offline Sapphire7117

• Un-Ranked
    modify
    « Reply #6 on: 10/06/17, 13:00 »
    Thank you  (mrsmacd) since this has happened i have read so much on these forums and i have renewed hope. We are not giving up and we are going to an open evening at another clinic on Wednesday and will take it from there. X

Offline kittykat76

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #7 on: 10/06/17, 13:40 »
    Please don't loose hope, the drugs protocol could just be wrong for you. My 1st cycle was abandoned because although I had lots of follicles they weren't growing,that was on gonal f alone. The next cycle gonal was increased to 225 for 1st 4 days then dropped to 175 and merional was added and that was the right combi for me and the one that I did for 3 cycles and produced lots of eggs. Maybe go to another clinic for a 2nd opinion and have amh/ follicle scan done.