* Author Topic: New member and questions  (Read 1303 times)

0 Members

Offline justjazzyjess

modify
New member and questions
« on: 26/07/17, 14:48 »
Hi everyone,

I am feeling very overwhelmed and figured you guys probably are the experts! I am sure this is going to be very long and rambly but I am just hoping to get some advice.

Three years or so ago I went through premature ovarian failure due to chemotherapy - my periods stopped and my FSH was 130ish. At this stage, I started HRT Evorel Conti patches. A year later my FSH was 150ish. I had a couple of breakthrough bleeds in 2016 - some believed this indicated some ovarian resumption, others dismissed it. In any case, these disappeared until a few months ago (2017) when I had 3 bleeds in the space of 6 weeks, accompanied by period pains.

I was already under the ACU to find out my options which seemed pretty bleak. However, given my bleeds they were prepared to try some form of fertility treatment before I would be recommended that egg donation was the only option. If I got enough eggs they would try IVF but I was told that this was unlikely and the best bet would be IUI but even this may not happen.

I was switched to Evorel Sequi to give me 'periods' or at least a more natural bleed and was due to start IUI in August which would have been after my second bleed. However a chance scan last week (on day 5 of my first period since starting evorel sequi) showed a follicle - I know to most this may not be much but for me this was a massive deal. Previous scans have shown no follicles, atrophy/artresia of ovaries and thin lining. So my start date was moved forwards and I began Fostimon injections at 225iu per day. I was to continue with my patches which give me oestrogen and I had a repeat scan booked for 7 days later (which was today).

I know my chances are very very low and do not have false expectations - I had come to terms with the fact that I would probably have to have a child through egg donation or adoption (and I am ok with that) but at the same time that one little follicle was a tiny glimmer of hope for me and I couldn't not try.

Sadly, after 7 days I still only have one follicle, and it has only grown from 2mm (9mm to 11mm) in 7 days which seems very small and I was disappointed. I hoped they might increase my dose but they didn't seem keen - unfortunately my case is complicated and there is a lack of continuity so I am hopeful at my next scan (Friday) I may see the original person and they might be more keen.

Everything has happened quite quickly and I thought I would have more time to educate myself before starting. It doesn't help that they are kind of trialling and error-ing it with me. I tried to ask questions today but didn't get very far!

I guess my main concern is that my follicle will fail to grow or will grow very slowly - what happens then? Is there a maximum time you can stim for? And what happens if I ovulate before it is big enough (which seems quite likely as my cycle is quite short - or is the FSH injection kind of stopping you from ovulating??) The doctor said you won't ovulate until it is big enough but Im a bit confused by this, as how then in a normal period do we ovulate around day 14ish and then get a period. This made me think maybe it just dies without being ovulated if it never reaches optimal size or am I incorrect? I am asking as I assume my chemo may have damaged the quality as well - I guess I want to be prepared as I know what is meant to happen but I don't really know the other potential outcomes.

My other question is that obviously those of us with high FSH also have high LH and I am thinking this may affect the reliability of the ovulation test kits. I was told to test at 7am and 7pm but since my LH last tested was in the 50s I am wondering if this will even work for me. I don't want to miss ovulation!

Sorry for the long-winded post and thank you very much in advance if you are able to help me - I am probably getting all the official terms and stuff wrong so bear with me!

Thanks, Jess

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline Ttc2016

modify
    New member and questions
    « Reply #1 on: 30/07/17, 10:18 »
    Hi Jess,

So sorry to hear what you've been through. They can only stimulate a follicle for so long before it is effectively frazzled by the drugs, so can't just keep giving you drugs until its big enough to be harvested. Also it doesn't follow that just upping the dose makes it ready. In my experience the higher the dose of drug, the worse the quality of egg, so it is actually important with low ovarian reserve to have a low dose. That said, they might find you respond better with a different drug. I didn't get on with fostimon, but did great with gonal f. Also, read it starts with an egg (thinks that's what it's called). Plenty you can do to improve the quality of your supply.

Offline justjazzyjess

modify
    New member and questions
    « Reply #2 on: 30/07/17, 20:42 »
    Thank you Ttc2016, that makes sense. My follicle reached 13mm on Friday so seems to have speed up a little, am back for next scan tomorrow and praying for another gain. They've said next cycle they would increase the dose of fostimon. The trouble is I am self-funding as not covered so there can't be many next times, especially when I know my eventual result may have to be egg donation. Do you mind me asking how does gonal f work differently from fostimon? I still feel very new at all this but thanks very much for your reply xx