* Author Topic: BFP over 40 waiting for scans and tests  (Read 14434 times)

0 Members

Offline dolphinx

modify
BFP over 40 waiting for scans and tests
« on: 17/08/17, 11:34 »
Hi, anyone over 40s out there waiting for tests and scans after a BFP?

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline BB41

modify
    « Reply #1 on: 17/08/17, 11:59 »
    Hi, yes I'm 42 and waiting for my second scan. Scary isn't it? I got myself really negative about the age thing but I read Right Time Baby which really helped me feel more positive. How far along are you?

Offline dolphinx

modify
    « Reply #2 on: 17/08/17, 15:39 »
    Hi BB41. I'm 5w4d so very early days. I'm so nervous! I'm sure I go through every emotion every day.

Is that a book you mentioned? I'd be interested to read.

Congrats on getting through first scan! When is the next?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline BB41

modify
    « Reply #3 on: 17/08/17, 16:42 »
    Hi, yes it's a book. I found it when googling 'positive stories of over 40 pregnancy'. It is completely positive about older mums and made me feel lots better. Available on Amazon.
    My next scan is Monday, will be 9 weeks. I had a bit of brown spotting just after my last scan so quite nervous. When is yours?

Offline dolphinx

modify
    « Reply #4 on: 17/08/17, 18:43 »
    First week in September for 8 week scan. Not booked it yet My clinic don't do anything before then. Just 'take a hpt and then come back at 8 weeks'! It feels like a huge amount of time to wait.

The odds are definitely on your side if you've made it to 9 weeks and first scan was good but totally understand the nerves. Was the spotting caused by the internal US?

I've read the book intro on Amazon so will deffo be ordering. Thanks for that. The negativity gets too much sometimes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Tootles

modify
    « Reply #5 on: 17/08/17, 20:33 »
    Hello
    Can I join you please? I'm 41 (42 in Sep) and will be 9 weeks tomorrow. Huge congrats to you both on your BFPs.
    I had my first scan two weeks after I did my test. It was amazing to see the little heart beat so early.
    Have either of you booked in for the Harmony test? My midwife mentioned it so I've booked one. Bit nervous about it.
    I'll defo get a copy of that book. Thanks for the reference to it.
    X

Offline BB41

modify
    « Reply #6 on: 17/08/17, 22:13 »
    Dolphinx - wow that is a long time to wait! They don't do bloods or anything? Not sure if the scan caused the spotting, it happened a couple of days after. my clinic said not to worry about it as brown and not much (sorry tmi!) but was really scary. Can't help worrying that something may have gone wrong although lots of ladies on here have had and been fine. Apparently it's more common after ivf and when on Cyclogest.
    Welcome Tootles. Is the Harmony test to check for abnormalities? I'm not going to find out about anything like that. It's a miracle I'm pregnant so I'll take whatever I'm given! I'm not scared of Downs Syndrome, I've worked with people with learning disabilities for years and I've got no problem with it.

Offline eleb

modify
    « Reply #7 on: 18/08/17, 07:29 »
    I'm a "geriatric mother" too (42 in Feb) and 8+2.  What a hideous term that is...nearly punched the doctor when he used it!!

We had IVF using a DE, so the risk of age related problems in the baby is removed, just the age related problems with me!

Eleb

Offline BB41

modify
    « Reply #8 on: 18/08/17, 11:53 »
    Hi Eleb, yes so rude! My friend had a baby in her 30's and is a bit curvy and she had 'geriatric obese mother' hanging next to her bed - insensitive!

Offline dolphinx

modify
    « Reply #9 on: 18/08/17, 12:41 »
    Hi Tootles and eleb!

'Geriatric obese mother'!  :o ;D I'm headed right there!! (fingers crossed).

BB41 I totally admire your attitude regarding testing.

I've had no bloods no! I have been taking hpts every 2 days to check the line is still there and getting darker. A bit naughty because they are not supposed to be quantitative but you can definitely see a difference. But god help me if I get a light one.

Still so scared its all going to end and getting stressed over every little ache and twinge. Felt some cramping pain yesterday which really scared me. Also scared I'm just carrying an empty sac. Basically just scared  :)