* Author Topic: Paying egg donors in UK  (Read 1397 times)

0 Members

Offline rothbard

modify
Paying egg donors in UK
« on: 13/09/17, 12:42 »
Hi, the HFEA website states that "It's illegal to pay for egg donation in the UK." Does this mean that it is a criminal offence to offer to pay such a donor, or only that such an agreement would be unenforceable? If the former, then is it also illegal to offer to place an add for an egg donor in the UK, if both the transaction and the procedure are going to take place in a country, such as the US, where this is perfectly legal?

I would be very grateful if someone could point me to the relevant UK legislation on this matter.

Thanks.

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline NatGamble

• Volunteer
    modify
    Paying egg donors in UK
    « Reply #1 on: 13/09/17, 22:28 »
    Hi there. Quite a complicated answer to this one and I am not a criminal lawyer, so this is something to take specific advice on. However, generally, there isn't a general offence in UK law prohibiting paying donors - the restrictions fall under the HFEA licensing rules. The legal issue is whether you are 'procuring' eggs for donation without an HFEA licence (which is an offence) AND whether it will be illegal for any UK clinic to treat you if the donor has been paid more than the HFEA limits (which you might get round by going to the US).

Natalie