* Author Topic: Embryo banking to get more than one embryo to transfer?  (Read 1490 times)

0 Members

Offline JasB171

• Un-Ranked
Hi ladies,

I was wondering if anyone, who is a poor responder, has been advised to do embryo banking?

I had my first round of IVF (in vitro fertilization) a couple of months ago which produced one 5 day blastocyst.  One option that has been suggested is to do an IVF (in vitro fertilization) round and, if we get one embryo again, to freeze that one and do a second round in the hope of getting a second embryo and then doing a transfer of the two embryos after that.  The basis for this is that transferring two at the same time increases the success rate - as opposed to transferring one in the first cycle and then one in the second cycle (assuming of course that the first didn't work).  Has anyone got any experience of this?   I have heard of embryo banking to get enough embryos to do PGS, but that is not what we would be doing (as we would never get enough!).

I am only planning to do two more rounds of IVF (in vitro fertilization) (ie two rounds of injections whether or not a transfer takes place), but want to maximise my chances of success.

Would love to know if you have any thoughts.

Thank you!

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline katkat2014

• Gold Member
    modify
    Embryo banking to get more than one embryo to transfer?
    « Reply #1 on: 21/09/17, 14:30 »
    Hi jas the only context I heard about embryo banking is if you want a second child later, for PGs or if your lining is not good enough for a fresh transfer. And sometimes they freeze the embryo to give the body a rest and transfer later on when they concentrate on the lining. I don't think it makes any sense what your clinic has said. Why would 2 embryos give you a higher chance? If you transfer 2 then the chance is higher to get 1! Child yes (chances will not double) compared to if you had transfered just the one,  but if you transfer one after another then you will have a higher chance of having 1-2 children. Another thing to consider, my doc said the issue with transferring 2 is that if one has a lesser quality than the other then the body may try and get rid of the bad one and accidentally also the good one hence he advocates single ET. I am banking myself as I am doing natural IVF and my lining is not good enough for a fresh transfer. Also as I am 41 and know that should I really get pregnant then my chances for a second will be zero (in terms of egg quality later on). Good luck!

Offline JasB171

• Un-Ranked
    modify
    Embryo banking to get more than one embryo to transfer?
    « Reply #2 on: 25/09/17, 17:15 »
    Thanks Kat!  Yes - I didn't think it made much sense. Perhaps, as you say, if it was to give my body a rest before transfer, but they were planning to do the double transfer after the second round of stims (so one fresh and one frozen), so no rest!  And they have no concerns about my lining - it's my egg quantity and quality.  We had considered banking before the first IVF round as we would have done PGS if we had had a few embryos, but after seeing the pathetic amount my body produced, I don't think we would ever have enough embryos to do that - I don't want to do endless rounds of IVF as I think the odds are against me (I'm ancient...).

Best of luck to you too!