* Author Topic: Over 40 - anyone else about to start an IVF cycle?  (Read 93860 times)

0 Members

Offline Tootles

Hello

Just in case anyone is over 40 and about to start an IVF cycle and fancies a chat!

I've just turned 42 and am about to start my second cycle. Had a miscarriage from my first round of IVF. That was in August just gone - I'm not hanging around! 

I'm at Nurture in Nottingham.

This time round I'll be sprinkling more than just 'baby dust' - I'd like a truck load of 'baby rocks' please!!

Tootles xx

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline BillieMoon76

• Un-Ranked
    modify
    Over 40 - anyone else about to start an IVF cycle?
    « Reply #1 on: 10/10/17, 20:43 »
    Hi Tooties! I'm 41 and about to have 1st round of IVF at Zita West, London (short protocol).

I'm currently on day 2 of the pill (Microgynon), finish that on Sunday 29th and then stims on following bleed (likely 1st week of Nov).

I'm brand new to FF - joined today! x

Offline babydust4me21

• Un-Ranked
    modify
    « Reply #2 on: 10/10/17, 21:13 »
    Hi ladies I've not long turned 40 and am currently undergoing my 1st cycle of ivf. I've been on my down regulation nasal spray since 21st September and due to start injections this Friday. It's a bit daunting but very much exciting. I wish you both luck and hopefully keep up to date with your progress along the road on this journey we are all embarking on. Much love and fairy dust xx

Offline Tootles

modify
    « Reply #3 on: 10/10/17, 22:16 »
    Hi BillieMoon76 and babydust4me21,

How are you finding Zita West?  Certainly has a fab reputation. I was an audience member on a webinar a couple of weeks ago and Zita was really interesting. I like the idea of changing diets and ways of thinking to complement the meds.

Looking forwards to getting started on the meds again. I feel like it should be a bit easier second time round but I've completely forgotten everything!

I've got a weekend away with the inlaws to both look forwards to and dread! I find all of the questions a bit much, plus sister in law has a new baby.  Since I turned 40 I think I've become far less tolerant!

Offline miamiamo

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #4 on: 23/10/17, 13:03 »
    I didn't want to read and run. I wish everybody all the luck in the world on your journey

Offline Nicnik

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #5 on: 23/10/17, 13:37 »
    Hi ladies,

I'm 42 and about to embark on my 6th round of IVF (yip...I must be mad...but can't give up!).  I will be cycling with Serum in Athens and think this will be our last try with own eggs.  My period is due at the beginning of November and I will start the stims then. 

Wishing each and every one of you lots of luck.  ^hugme^ xx

Offline CEce40

modify
    « Reply #6 on: 23/10/17, 17:05 »
    Hi everyone,

We've got an appointment with the doc tomorrow to debrief after our failed 3rd cycle. We've decided to give it one more go with OE but change the protocol. Should hopefully start late Nov/early Dec. Fingers crossed for everyone. I think it certainly increases the pressure being over 40 and playing chicken with the biological clock.

Offline Tootles

modify
    « Reply #7 on: 25/10/17, 07:57 »
    Hi Ladies

Nicnik - good luck with round 6. I love your attitude of not giving up. Got to have hope because it can happen. I'm 42 too and I think that a positive approach to IVF makes the whole thing more bearable.

CEce40 - how did your debrief go? I felt really motivated after mine. In what ways are you tweaking your protocol? Mine is being boosted with a higher dose of Gonal F and an extended period of stims.

We re-did our consents yesterday. The drugs arrive today and I start them on Monday. Strange feeling about doing this again in that I feel much less giddy and far more matter of a fact about it all. 

Round two - bring it on!

Offline Molly78

modify
    « Reply #8 on: 26/10/17, 20:48 »
    I m nearly 40 and about to start my 5th attempt, this will be my last with own eggs, I m very lucky to have a son from my first attempt but have had 4 failures since then. Itís hard to keep going but also addictive too as you never want to lose hope that the next one will work.i m hoping to start Stims within next few days, I have had immune testing which revealed a few issues so Iím trying clexane this time plus extra folic acid and vitamin b12 but I think the main problem is egg quality. Trying to remain positive... xx

Offline CEce40

modify
    « Reply #9 on: 28/10/17, 20:13 »
    Hi Tootles,

Our debrief went well, we had far more questions this time. The previous 3 cycles were long protocol and I've been having back to back treatments. The down reg is getting to me a bit - hot sweats happening even after I've stopped taking it - so I'm switching to short protocol this time. I've also been having 3 day transfers and they've been good quality, so this time we'll take them to day 5 to see if they go downhill after day 3. We're also introducing a mild steroid after transfer in case there are any immunity problems. The final thing we've not decided yet is whether we are going to go for IVF or ICSI. The previous attempts have been ICSI, but the sperm was good quality for the last 2 attempts, so didn't really need it. We'd probably have less fertilised with IVF, but there will be the element of natural selection, so could get better embryos (potentially, who knows, its all guess work really isnt it!?).

Started the pill today so should have time to squeeze everything in before Christmas. Annoyingly the 2ww will prob mean a dry christmas and new year - first time since I was a teenager!!