* Author Topic: Over 40 - anyone else about to start an IVF cycle?  (Read 93822 times)

0 Members

Offline Butterfly1976

modify
Over 40 - anyone else about to start an IVF cycle?
« Reply #110 on: 13/12/17, 19:22 »
Hi Ladies mind if I join your thread?

I'm 41 (42 in Feb) and about to start my first round of IVF at Nurture in Nottingham (hope you'd recommend them Tootles lol)  ;) Have to confess that I find the whole thing rather frightening .

We've been TTC since losing our little girl at full term  in June 2016 and since we're racing that biological clock we've borrowed off family to fund 2 rounds of IVF through Access Fertility. I have to confess that I'm not that hopeful of success but we have to try  ^pray^

I'm due to start DR drugs on New Years day so at least I shouldn't be too grumpy for Christmas lol

Love and baby dust to all, and gentle congratulations Tootles, hope it's a sticky bean xx

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline LuluLimon

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #111 on: 13/12/17, 23:04 »
    Just a quickie from me- on mobile so hard to read.
    Eep a faint line is a line!!! Roll on Tues for you Tootles
    Cece- good news about your work.
    Tigersmiles- hope the collection goes well x
    Butterfly- hi!..I'll be DR in Jan too. very sorry for your loss XXX

Off to Finland on hols tmrw for a few days. Have a lovely weekend ladies..the fake G&Ts will be worth it!

PS bee pollen was recommended time for egg quality. Took it last cycle too. I can't take DHEA as slightly pco. It's great for my nails anyway 😋Hi Pauli & Bumblebee

Offline Shelbo76

modify
    « Reply #112 on: 14/12/17, 22:58 »
    Hi Ladies,

Been following these posts for a few weeks now whilst waiting for my fertility follow-up which was today and have sadly been advised that I have low ovarian reserve as my FSH was 15 and they requested an AMH test after this which was reported back as <1.1 (actual number wasn’t on file).

Whilst I was half prepared for this given the subsequent request for AMH it still came as a shock and I’m devastated and it didn’t help that my consultant wasn’t very empathetic and basically implied it’d be a miracle for me to conceive naturally or using my own eggs via IVF. I’ve been discharged from the clinic (NHS) and guess we’re on our own now. Fortunately all other tests/scans were fine including my partner’s SA (he was so worried it would be him letting me down bless him).

I started contacting some local private clinics whilst I was waiting for my NHS referral and have also contacted a couple of clinics in Czech Republic. I think it’s more than likely we’ll cycle abroad and I’d like to try with my own eggs first, I assume I could get a consultation at a U.K. clinic for a 2nd opinion on tests and further tests if required and obtain their advice on the best treatment options for me?

I’m eager to get the ball rolling as time’s probably not on my side. Any of you experienced similar issues or cycled or considered cycling abroad?

Thanks in advance x

Offline Tiger Smiles

modify
    « Reply #113 on: 14/12/17, 23:54 »
    Hey,
    How's everyone here on the the fabulous over forties group?
    Can I just quickly ask please. Did any please tell me if you started your pessaries the same day as egg collection?

Offline pauli

modify
    « Reply #114 on: 15/12/17, 11:48 »
    Hi TigerSmiles, yes, started cyclogest in the evening of EC as a suppository, so not vaginal pesaries. Hope all is well and good luck for the ET xx

Offline pauli

modify
    « Reply #115 on: 15/12/17, 16:34 »
    Hello Ladies,
    Welcome Shelbo, I am sorry you had such a rubbish experience at your NHS clinic. I started fertility examinations at 39 and was shocked to find out that I was too old in fertility world. That’s all I heard from everybody, so now, more 2 years later, I got used to that ;-)

In the process I have learnt that all the blood tests and examinations do not mean much. My sister who had success on her first IVF attempt aged 41, had a few laparoscopies to treat endo and cysts expirations throughout her adult life, her AMH was undetectable (!), AFC about 6, and still managed to give birth to a perfectly healthy boy without any complications in pregnancy. In comparison to my sister, I have been always super healthy (never had gynae problems), have much higher AMH and AFC up to 18! None of these results guarantee success though …

On one hand I think it is a good idea to have more consultations at different clinics (if you can invest time and money into the process) as you will be able to compare their suggested treatments. On the other hand it can be confusing as their approaches can be very different. I often found myself torn what to actually believe. I did a lot of reading on internet trying to make sense of this highly confusing IVF world….

From what I read ladies with high FSH and low AMH had success on protocols with very little stimulation (natural modified IVF) or mild stimulation. There are more clinics which will offer such a treatment, one of the leading clinics in the UK in this field is Create.

I had 2 cycles in the UK and 2 in the USA without success and currently researching the clinics in CZ. It is a decision mainly cost driven. Happy to share what I found out so far if you are interested.   

TigerSmiles – How did your EC go? Are you doing day 3 transfer? Good luck! 

LuluLimon – Interesting about the bee pollen (it must be one of the very few things I did not yet tried ;-) Did you take it in tablets? Have a great holiday in Finland, hope your little one enjoys the snow!

Butterfly – Really sorry to hear about your baby girl, you must have been heart broken. I cannot even imagine how one copes with that. A lot of baby dust!

Cece – Congratulations on the job situation, a brave decision! How are you feeling in your 2ww? Still planning to start testing on Sunday?

Tootles – I hope you managed NOT to drink that red wine ;-) I hope Tuesday brought ‘official’ good news!!! ;-) 

Have a lovely weekend everyone xx 

Offline Tootles

modify
    « Reply #116 on: 16/12/17, 14:19 »
    Hi Ladies

Hello Pauli - how is the research going on the Czech clinics? Yep, I managed to stay off the red wine! Just made do with sniffing an open bottle!?

How are you getting on CEce40? You managed to hold off testing?  Hope that you're doing well.  Have you been giving your work scenario much thought?  More importantly, how is your personal trainer and how is his love life?!

Hi Butterfly1976 - how are you getting on? So very sorry to read of your loss. You've really been through it. I can relate to that feeling of just needing to get on with IVF. Don't be frightened. It's bizarre just how quickly it becomes part of everyday life!  Nurture is great on the results front and I'd have no hesitation in recommending it for that reason.  Your dates will be easy to remember with you starting on New Years Day.  I've found having an IVF note book really handy as you end up with lots to remember and lots of bits of paper and, if you're anything like me, forget everything that's said within two minutes!!

Lulu - I hope you're having a gorgeous time in Finland! What's it like over there?

Hi Shelbo76 - have you managed to find somewhere to give you a second opinion?  I've learned from this forum just how different clinics approaches and advice can be so I'd definately be in support of looking for a second opinion. You can send yourself wappy on the Internet. Nothing beats talking to an expert who you feel you can trust.  Consultants without empathy drive me nuts. It's a critical part of the job and whilst I'm sure no one expects a warm cuddle, a bit of tact goes a heck of a long way.  When I was looking for a clinic I went to their open days, and got to speak to consultants directly before committing which I found really useful. Good luck with it all.

Tiger Smiles - I started the pesseries the day after egg collection. One in the morning and one at night. Unlike Pauli though, I was advised to insert them vaginally.  I call them my fanny candles!!  How are you getting on?

AFM - did another test yesterday and that cute little line is still there looking a tad darker. I'm still sooooo aware that it's ridiculously early days, and after last time I'm trying to be measured in any excitiment. I haven't told my other half as he is adamant I shouldn't test early. Bar humbug!! Had some crippling pains at work on Thursday but have put them down to wind and ridiculous constipation! Yep, a beard, piles and now a windy bum blockage!! Pleaaaase let it be worth it!!

Offline CEce40

modify
    « Reply #117 on: 16/12/17, 18:29 »
    Hi all and hello weeeeeeekkkend!!

welcome Butterfly, so sorry for your loss. Good luck with the down reg.

Shelbo, I've only cycled with Guys in London up to now, but if this one fails then I'm thinking of moving to a clinic in Spain and possibly trying a tandem cycle, have you heard of that? I've only just found out about it and apparently not available in the UK. Its where they stimulate your own eggs at the same time as an egg donor. The aim for your own eggs is to get quality rather than quantity (the donor eggs should bring the quantity so less concern that you'd be left with nothing if your own eggs don't work out). Once the embryos are developed then you choose whether the transfer your own, donor or a combination. I think its a lot to get your head around, but may be worth thinking about.

Have a fab time away, Lululimon. Not jealous at all!!

Congrats Tootles, keep those dark lines coming. How many days post transfer did you get your faint line?

I tested this morning. BFN. I'm not too concerned yet as I know its early. I'll test again tomorrow as it's the weekend. If another BFN then I'll wait until Wednesday when I'm off work - I can't face it on a workday, heading into the office is stressful enough!

It feels strange this time. I'm almost convinced I'm BFP, but I have absolutely no basis for it. I've had a lot of cramping, waves of mild nausea and hormonal headaches that I've not had before in the 2ww. I'm on steroids this time which is new, so it could just be down to that. One minute I'm thinking "yep, that's it, I know my body, I am woman, I just FEEEEELLLLL it!" and then an hour later all the symptoms will disappear and I'm like "nope, not a clue about my body, what was I thinking, I don't even moisturise properly, I am fake woman!". Arrrrrgh. I'm usually quite relaxed at this point. I WILL NOT BECOME A CRAZY LADY!!   ^idiot^

On the work front I think I'd still want to take redundancy even if I'm BFP. If I dont take it now then I dont know when I'd get another opportunity. The redundancy would be more than I would get in maternity pay so it might just be worth getting out now. We'll see, I may get cold feet after Christmas, but once my mind's made up Im usually pretty much set.

Cosy night in with the Strictly final tonight. Feet up, snuggle blanket over my knees, tower of profiteroles to chunk up on. Perfect.............(actually, now I think of it, the nausea could relate to the mountains of chocolate I've been inhaling recently.......)

Offline Tootles

modify
    « Reply #118 on: 16/12/17, 23:26 »
    Debbie was robbed!! That is all I will say on the matter!!  ^bigbad^

Offline CEce40

modify
    « Reply #119 on: 17/12/17, 16:27 »
    I hear ya sister. scandalous.