* Author Topic: Over 40 - anyone else about to start an IVF cycle?  (Read 93827 times)

0 Members

Offline Butterfly1976

modify
Over 40 - anyone else about to start an IVF cycle?
« Reply #120 on: 17/12/17, 17:00 »
Hi Ladies

Thank you for your kind words, I can honestly say that losing our little girl was the worse moment of my life. I had no idea that anything could go wrong at that late stage (we were over our due date FFS) but I've sadly found out since that it happens everyday even if the odds are only 1 in 200 someone has to be that one. We will always love and miss our little girl but that doesn't change the fact that we want a baby so here we are...

Lulu - glad to hear you will be down regging in Jan too, we can compare grumpiness lol

Tootles - glad you would recommend Nurture. We went to their open evening in May and really liked the place and the people. Been on DHEA since May too as they really recommended it. Did stop taking it for a while from July - Aug though as we got married and I didn't want the acne in my wedding pics! (I know it's shallow, but it gets you down). AMH was 6.4 in March and was 7.2 in November so it may be doing something  ??? I seem to have avoided the beard at least, but my hair is a lot thinner than it used to be  ::)

Sending love to you all  ^hugme^

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline Butterfly1976

modify
    « Reply #121 on: 17/12/17, 17:03 »
    Also totally agree about Debbie, she should have a trophy for those splits alone  ;D

Offline andrea75

modify
    « Reply #122 on: 17/12/17, 17:19 »
    Hi all

Sorry not posting much but haven't got much to say.  We have however decided that we will cycle with Gennet Prague.  Need to make consultation appt but that will be next year.. Also need to have all relevant bloods done too

Hope you're all well & getting excited for 🎄

Offline Tootles

modify
    « Reply #123 on: 18/12/17, 06:30 »
    Morning Ladies

I hope the weekend was kind to everyone.

CEce40 - I like the sound of this tandum cycling. I wonder why it's not available in the UK. I thought the difference between uk clinics was significant, but it appears the difference between countries is insane. How are you feeling in yourself? Keep those positive vibes coming lady.

I got that faint line 8 days after egg transfer but when I say faint, I mean ridiculously so. I tested two days later and it was a tad more visible but then after another two days (yesterday) it was faint again. Just tested now and it's the darkest yet.  I know I should be jumping for joy, but have learned the hard way that there's a long way to go yet.  Play it cool Rodney, play it cool.

Butterfly1976 - huge congrats on getting married! That must have been one heck of an emotional day. I totally get the DHEA thing. It's a love hate relationship with that drug! Have you met Mr Raine-Fenning yet? He's rather dishy in a guilty pleasures sort of way.  Another tick in the box for Nurture! Ooh, and they have good magazines to read!  Every little helps I guess!

Congrats on making a decision on which clinic to go to Bumblebee40. Must be good to get that done as I don't imagine it's easy to select one.  I've left Christmas a bit late this year. Had a mad panic in the car yesterday when I realised how close it is! A few more cards to send and lots of presents to buy yet.

AFM - I've still got 26 days holiday to take so was going to have this week off. Annoyingly, 5 clients have put a spanner in the works so looks like I'll be saying cheerio to that holiday, again. Grrrrrrr.  Will work from home though, and try and stick to mornings. Official test day is tomorrow so I've invested in some whizz bang fancy pee sticks. Man they are expensive. I've got one cheap online test left so will order another job lot of those. I don't think I'll stop testing until any child of mine turns 21 years.

Offline CEce40

modify
    « Reply #124 on: 18/12/17, 21:16 »
    evening ladies,

Uber frustrating today. I tested on sat and sunday, (6&7dp5dt) and nada. Not even with a squinty eye, bright light and lashings of hope. But, me thinks, all is not lost, at least no sign of AF.

Then today, spotting. My typical pre-AF sign. Bugger! "No" kicks in the positive little devil on my shoulder (the one that really likes me to eek out every last drop of hope I can), this could just be implantation. I had bad cramping on Saturday, so if that was the little embies gouging holes in my uterus then surely I'd get a BFP if I test today, right?

So I geared myself up, tried to 'brew' an expert sample for as long as possible and then bam, I'd know. This was going to be it. If it was BFN, I was going to take it gracefully, gently bow out and console myself with a huge bucket of wine. But no, I wasn't banking that my one remaining test would be a dud! After 45 minutes it decided to come to life and a control line appeared, but no elusive positive line. Okay, it's what I thought after seeing the spotting today, but probably not conclusive enough to hit the bottle guilt free.

So, I think I'm out of the game, I'm preparing for a failure, but still I remain sober!!!! Roll on Thursday when I can officially ditch the drugs and get off my  ^swear^

Good luck to everyone else. Enjoy the 'official' test tomorrow, Tootles. Yes there's a long way to go, but it's all about jumping those hurdles x

Offline Shelbo76

modify
    « Reply #125 on: 18/12/17, 22:11 »
    Hi and thanks so much to those who have replied to my post with advice! I had my mum come and spend time with me for the weekend which has taken my mind off things a little and I'm feeling a lot more hopeful now. I filled my step-sister in on our consultation last night and bless her she's offered to donate her eggs if we get to the DE stage. I was quite humbled by her offer but I know I'd have probably done the same if it was her, she's 29 and despite having had a fallopian tube removed after an ectopic has produced my beautiful niece and 3 nephews who I love to pieces.

Pauli - I have made contact with Create to arrange for a consultation and hoping I will have access to my NHS notes/tests before then. One of my friends had a natural cycle with them a few months ago, collected 2 eggs but only one transferred, sadly it was a BFN, will try and see if I can get more info from her although she cycled at the St Albans clinic and I'm in Birmingham. Which CZ clinic(s) are you looking to cycle with, would be interested to find out more from you?

Good luck to those of you in the middle of cycles and waiting to test x

Offline Tiger Smiles

modify
    « Reply #126 on: 18/12/17, 22:20 »
    Cece40 lol "And get "off my  ^swear^ !"
    Yeah Im out of the game too with this round. But will try again in the new year. Keep your head up.

Tootles - how on earth do you end up with 26 days leave - now that would be amazing.

Bumblebee - glad you've made a decision for Prague. When do you think you'll start.

Lulu76 and Butterfly1976 - Ill be joining you down regging in Jan.

Shelbo - how amazing of your sister-in-law to offer you that. What's your thoughts on it?

AFM The two follicles, produced two embies but they didn't even make it to Day 2 for transfer.  :o
    So I've got one more try with current centre and my own eggs, but at the review Dr said after this time depending on outcome we should consider DE. My DH face dropped, I can see it's absolutely not what he wants. He loves me and wants my genes - that sounds so odd when I write it. Arghh this is so tough! We can keep trying with my own but we are over £30k down and not just the finance but emotional part.
    What's everyone's thoughts on DE? How did you get your head round it?

Offline StrawberrySundae

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #127 on: 18/12/17, 23:55 »
    Hi everyone, I thought about joining this thread when it started, but am not having my next cycle for a while yet. Having a hysteroscopy and further tests next month (then a wisdom tooth out in Feb!) Its nice to see how much you've been supporting each other and lots of funny stories!  :) Congrats to the lucky ones and big hugs to the bfn's - keep going  ^reiki^

I'm finding things hard at times and this morning a taxi driver told me about his elderly childless aunt who'd had 6 miscarriages & gave up on having children, which made me wonder why I'd had to have that conversation as I've had 6 miscarriages myself  :'( I've moved onto DE but even that didn't work last time so we have to see if we'll be more lucky with our next lot of pgs results  ^pray^

Tigersmiles I can relate to the scary sums involved and struggle with moving onto DE, altho I'll now be very happy for that to work! I haven't come across anyone who regretted it  :)

Good luck all x

Offline Tootles

modify
    « Reply #128 on: 19/12/17, 07:30 »
    Not a happy bunny reading this morning.  I'm upset and angry for you both CEce40 and Tiger.

CEce40 - I don't imagine for one minute that you'll be feeling chirpy today but get your beautiful ass down to Boots or wherever and get another test ready for the morning.  Having some certainty will help clarify things in your mind. You've got fight in you lady and if this time hasn't been the one, then perhaps next time will be. I'm sending you a massive hug you beaut. Keep going (but tell Zita to stick her pricey vitamin cocktails where the sun don't shine).

Tiger - so sorry you didn't get to transfer. There are no silver linings other than some vague relief that if its not going to work this time, better knowing as soon as you can, so you can give yourself a break and prepare for your next go.  The DE dillema isn't easy. No doubt you'll have a lot of thinking to do. I defo think its worth trying to speak to people who have gone down this route face to face. My last midwife before the MC had donated her eggs and just hearing her reasoning made me think it could be an option.  Good luck with it Hun x

Shelbo - congrats on taking the next step by booking you're consultation. Hope it goes well.

Strawberry - welcome to the thread.  Has anyone been able to tell you why you might be miscarrying?  My heart goes out to you. After 2 MCs I can't imagine what 6 must feel like - other than an overwhelming sense to knee that taxi driver squarely in the fun sacks!  Your comment about no one regretting DE is really encouraging.  I imagine once you've got your head around it, there's a renewed sense of hope which we over 40s especially deserve.  Good luck with the tooth extraction X

AFM - today is OTD so I pee'd on my posh stick and it's a positive. It says I'm likely 1-2 weeks which makes me nervous as I think it should say 2-3 weeks. Last time I got to see a heart beat but it measured very small so this slow start doesn't fill me with the cheer I'd hoped for.  I'm just also so gutted that we can't all keep going together this time. If it wasn't frowned upon to swear, I'd be chucking plenty of verbal bombs down right now. 

Offline pauli

modify
    « Reply #129 on: 19/12/17, 12:26 »
    Strawberry – Welcome to the thread. So sorry to hear about your TTC journey. Hopefully further tests and hysteroscopy will give you some answers. Have you done any immune testing in the past? I know it’s not a widely accepted approach but some clinics strongly believe in it.           

Tootles – That’s great news! Quite sensible to stay on the cautious side after the previous experience. Are you doing the blood tests? If your beta levels are doubling, it could give you a bit more confidence in your BFP. Fingers crossed that this BFP will last 9 months ;-) And hope you get some time off, how on earth do you survive without taking your annual leave ;-) xx

Cece40 – It could be too early to test! Hoping you will get a positive test later in a week. Don’t fall off the wagon yet! ;-)

Shelbo – Good next step to talk to Create and see what they will advise. As for the medical records, yes, NHS clinics can be slow. Usual process requires multiple chasing over the phone and the worst case scenario is a personal visit if everything else fails! As for clinics in CZ, I will send you a message with some info.

TigerSmiles – So sorry to hear about your cycle. Totally understand the costs associated. Donor eggs is a big decision. A friend mentioned to me that there are seminars for those interested in DE which will tell you about all aspects, what to prepare for, how to deal with everything …   

We already had a few chats with my DH as he will be 48 in Feb and feels a bit of pressure to have the family now. So he is pushing for DE while I am still trying to get my head around it. I have some doubts if our failure at IVF is just due to my ‘old’ eggs. A few SA showed very poor morphology and elevated DNA fragmentation (30%). Surely this must have adverse impact on cultivation of the embryos in the lab?   

Well, I pushed for more OE cycles, and besides having ICSI I would like us to use some sperm selection techniques (IMSI, PICSI, MACS…) So we have booked a consultation for Jan with one of the Czech clinics. Let’s get Xmas out of way and bring Jan on ;-)