* Author Topic: Over 40 - anyone else about to start an IVF cycle?  (Read 93830 times)

0 Members

Offline LuluLimon

• Gold Member
modify
Over 40 - anyone else about to start an IVF cycle?
« Reply #130 on: 20/12/17, 09:40 »
Hello ladies!
Tootles- congrats on the line! I know the next bit is worse, especially for us lot xx The hairy chin will be worth it lol
Cece- it's still not OT yet so hang in there x Wishing that embie all the sticky dust.
Tiger- sorry the embies didn't make it. Have they suggested doing anything different for Jan?
Butterfly- what protocol are you on? I'm kinda dreading takin the pill as I never got on well with it.
Strawberry- hello! I think we might have cycled previously?
Bumblebee- glad to hear you have a clinic selected. That in itself is quite an achievement.
Pauli- The bee pollen is Apimist, it's like a very strong tasting honey with royal jelly, propolis and was recommended in my prior IVF for egg quality. As my husband says there's no way of knowing if it worked last time, but I'm keeping going! I'm Miss PopAPill our bathroom has so many vitamins in it!
Shelbo- Hi there! welcome to the thread.

afm- Finland was lovely, snowy and a good break before Xmas and all the drugs start. I got to my Moomin Museum which was magical. this week I have our first ever tax returns to prepare which I am not looking forward to :((

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline CEce40

modify
    « Reply #131 on: 20/12/17, 10:42 »
    morning all,

Sorry Pauli, I didn't so much fall off the wagon, it was more like a nosedive, with a triple somersault and faceplant under the wheel! Bleeding got heavier yest so I turned up at my friends door with a bottle of wine and a pregnancy test, like a proper northern lass (I may live in London, but there's not getting away from my classy undertones!). Needless to say that I drank the wine. And then I drank a bottle of Baileys, of all things. I've got a bit of a head this morning and a horrifically furry tongue, but no work till 2018 now so it's officially Christmas and therefore I cannot be considered a lush (that's the rule, yes?).

Yes I'm disappointed, yes I'm angry that we have to go through all this for something that just seems so natural and easy for most, but am I devastated? am I screaming and throwing things around the room? not really. I guess I'm just attuned it now, this feels like the norm. For me it's about perspective. I love my husband so much and it's sad that we can't be parents now, but this whole infertility journey has only made us stronger in a way I just couldn't have imagined. Within a week of returning from our honeymoon I was rushed into emergency surgery for my ectopic and my brand new husband suddenly became my next of kin. 2 years on and hospital seems to be our second home. We've got through everything with a smile and a joke and such unshaking support for each other that I have absolutely no doubt that WHEN we become parents, we'll not only appreciate it all the more, but we'll be blooming brilliant!

So Tiger, it looks like we may be heading down the donor route as well. Like yours, my husband is less keen. He's got his heart set on a mini me running around the place. We'll think about it over Christmas and decide that to do in the new year, which seems quite fitting - move on from one opportunity towards the next. The Donor Network UK run 2 day workshops for couples thinking about moving to DE, we're thinking that might be a good start to help make our decision. StrawberrySundae, thank you, your comment about not knowing anyone who's regretted it was spot on and very helpful. Ironically I was going through the process of donating my eggs when I met my husband. Unfortunately the clinic didn't move fast enough and I would have turned 36 before EC so couldn't do it (the legal limit for donating in the UK is 35 and 364 days - or it was when I was looking into donating).

Tiger - sorry your transfer didn't happen. Hope you're managing to stay strong. I'll join you for a well deserved drink over christmas
    Lululimon - Moomin museum, amazing, tell me more!
    Tootles - try not to worry too much about the pee stick dates, I'm sure it'll move up in a few days if you tested again. You're flying the flag for the oldies at the moment so look after yourself and lets hope this is the first of many magical child friendly Christmas'

Offline pauli

modify
    « Reply #132 on: 20/12/17, 18:59 »
    Hi Cece, so sorry to hear it is defo BFN. It seems you have a really supportive and lovely DH. And good friends! Well, at least you can now enjoy the festive season with all the treats and plenty of wine :-)

Offline StrawberrySundae

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #133 on: 20/12/17, 19:22 »
    Hi CEce, so sorry to hear that. But no work til 2018 means you can now enjoy endulging in whatever you like! Glad the journey's made you strong! I'm not sure what it's made me, losing my marbles I think! But it will be nice to look back proudly for getting through it  :)

Tootles thank you yes after 6 that's probably why I'm going a bit dotty! My mcs have been for different reasons but at least 2 were definitely due to chromosome abnormalities due to aging! Still exploring immune testing to see if anything else comes up. It's exciting times for you - I do hope so, keep going!!

Pauli yes thanks hopefully the hysto will be worth doing too. I am not looking forward to it! But will be nice to get it done. Good luck with your consultations and 2018 in general!

Lululimon yes I think you're right. Finland sounds gorgeous, I have 2 Moomins calendars in my house! All the best at Zita West!

Ive just realised I haven't got anything much to add for the AFM bit, haha!  ;D I should probably wait to update til I have something worth talking about, still in a sort of limbo, but looking forward to starting a new year soon (again!)  ::)

Offline Tootles

modify
    « Reply #134 on: 21/12/17, 00:01 »
    CEce40 - that is the most sensible and heartwarming post. Your perspective on this is spot on. I can't help but feel angry and disappointed for you. What can I say? I like you a lot chick and I wanted us to be bump bitches. I wanted us to moan and complain about sore tits and share vomitting stories.  But like you say, what good will crying and sulking do for the next month? It won't change anything.  Pulling positives out of this, like the strength of your relationship with your DH, is actually a wonderful thing and should not be underestimated. I'm sure you'll have your moments, and there is no shame in a snotty sleeve and some grotty tissue, or in buying a bulk load of Baileys (or Thunderbirds / Diamind White / Babycham - now you've come clean about being northern). And one more positive, you've made a pal out of me (I hope that's a positive!!) and I'm already looking forwards to nattering whenever you're around and when you go for it again. Quick simply, you rock xx

Pauli - roll on Jan. The DE thing is definately something I'd really like to get my head around. Good for you in sticking with OE for now. You've got to do what feels right for you.

Lulu - tax returns...euwww. They do my head in so much that I've paid a nice little accountant called Simon to do mine! Good luck with yours. You're a stronger lass then me if you can get through 10 minutes of trying to work out where you're name even goes without throwing a huge wobbly!  Glad to hear that Finland was good. Are Moomins those funny / weird puppet characters from childhood or have I got the complete wrong end of the stick?!

Strawberry - limbo is when the best nattering happens so post away. The MC arena feels like one of the most neglected areas of fertility to me. After only two MCs for me, I already feel angry that more research isn't being done.  It's the 'not knowing' parts that are so hard to just accept and deal with. So you are also a Moomin lady?! I am clearly missing a trick here!

AFM - nothing to report. Had a blood test this morning but results not in until Fri. Haven't done a pregnancy test again. Have decided to enjoy the bubble for now because I know just how lucky I am to even get to this stage. Night night ladies xx

Offline Syd72

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #135 on: 21/12/17, 04:40 »
    Ladies, is it ok if I join you?  I'll have a proper read through a bit later, I've just caught up on the the last few posts now. Cece, so sorry for your bfn.

My details are pretty much all in my signature.  We should have been doing a donor egg round at Serum in October but had a surprise natural pregnancy in August, miscarried October.  Went out for another hysto last weekend and hoping to cycle in January.

Thank you.

Offline CEce40

modify
    « Reply #136 on: 21/12/17, 10:18 »
    Thanks for the kind thoughts everyone. I only found this site recently, the previous cycles we were on our own. It definitely makes a difference that there are others who know what you're going through, can share a laugh at our stupid misfortune and provide a bit of hope that there's light at the end of the tunnel.

Strawberry Sundae, you've definitely been through the wringer. You're my new inspiration to keep going, I'll be following your story with interest, lets hope 2018 brings some answers and, finally, a solution.

Syd72 - welcome and thanks. congrats on the surprise, massive commiserations for how it played out. Did that change your thoughts on DE, are you tempted to try OE again now?

Tootles, bless you, very sweet comments. But oooooo, I'm telling, I feel like I've pushed you over the sweary edge! did you notice that my previous post got censored, ooops. Then TigerSmiles was censored for repeating my comment, double ooops. I feel like I'm the ringleader of the 'blue' gang. Sorry if I offend anyone, I'll try to tone it down but sometimes only a **** or a ****** or a ******* will do!

Its definitely a positive of this brutal journey that we're pal's tootles. But just to be clear, if we ever meet in real life, can we agree the greeting protocol first? As a fellow northerner I'm preying you're in my world - a hug if I really like you, but what's all this air kissy, presenting cheeks to people, 1/2/3 kisses? what's going on? someone I'd employed turned up for work on her first day and gave me a hug, I wanted to tell her to turn around and walk straight back out the door again! I have boundaries, respect my personal space, people, please. We shall maintain a respectful distance until my 5th vodka when I'll throw my arms around your neck and serenade you with a dramatic 80s ballard!

Now ladies, hold onto your hats, can I instigate a bit of vulgar vulva chat?? This may offend, you have been warned......... During my 2ww I obviously went a bit mental, like everyone. Google has a lot to answer for. I found something (how gullible am I?) that said that one of the earliest signs of pregnancy is that your vulva turns from pink to purple with the influx of blood. Well now, in a feminist world I know we all should be whipping our compacts out every 5 minutes and having a good old inspection, "be proud of your body, be open about your sexuality", blah, blah. Now I'm certainly no prude, I'm quite happy as a sexual being, but really, I'm a busy lady, who's got time to keep a vag diary. I have no idea what's going on down there, it's lucky if it gets a bit of a prune every couple of weeks. So anyway, not to be deterred, I grabbed a mirror and had a peek. Low and behold, purple tipped vulva. Woohoo. Couple of days later, total purple vulva. It looked like DH had given me a love bite during the night (not an unpleasant thought, but if there's going to be some downstairs action I at least want to be awake for it!). Conclusive proof that I was definitely pregnant......until a few days later, when I wasn't! So, let me be a lesson, DO NOT GOOGLE. Do get familiar with your vulva, it's actually quite amazing, who knew?! but maybe if you're going to symptom spot like a demon, you should really work out what the colour/texture/look/feel of your body parts are BEFORE you start looking for changes. Comparison is everything. I hang my donut head in shame.Here endeth the sermon!

I'm heading on my Christmas travels today, Oxford, York then Hull. I'll be away till after Christmas so expect radio silence from me. I'll read all your posts on my phone, but for some reason I can't reply. Have a great Christmas everyone, looking forward to starting the new year and continuing this frustrating journey together. xx  ^hugme^

Offline LuluLimon

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #137 on: 21/12/17, 13:52 »
    Ah CeCe, I am sorry it didn't work out.but girl, you have what my American counsellor calls "some bad-ass positive mental attitude" going on! Believe it will happen- amazing things can and will result!! And yea just knock back the Bailey's!
    I've never vulva checked before in the 2ww but you had me laughing 😁 Have a lovely lovely Xmas break.

Strawberry/CeCe- Moomin musuem was so amazing- interactive displays and so many miniature scenes that Tove and her partner made.  The snow in Tampere made it all perfect!
    Tootles- I'm not sure about puppets but they look like white hippos. There was a series on back when we were all about 4-5. I've loved them ever since 😚

Hi Syd72- welcome to the thread and join the start of drug craziness in Jan.

Lulu x

Offline Butterfly1976

modify
    « Reply #138 on: 21/12/17, 21:12 »
    Hi Ladies

CeCe - so sorry for your BFN but have so much admiration for your positive attitude  ^hugme^ I didn't realise you'd been censored lol, thought it was an emoji you'd used  ::)

Lulu - I'm doing a long proticol with Suprecur (Buserlin) 0.5 ml injections for down reg, then Menopur for stims, Ovitrelle for trigger injection followed by Cyclogest 400mg pessaries twice a day from 2 days after EC (this doesn't mean much to me just reading it off my letter from Nurture lol)

Tootles - Was yours a similar protocol?

On another note - I've just had my letter with the consents forms to sign and protocol as above and it says to avoid DTD for the cycle during treatment so I am now panicking as the nurse didn't say anything about this when I called on day 1 and now it's day 10 so too late for that instruction! Not that it's likely that I'd get pregnant this cycle after 18 months of trying but still a bit worried just in case. - Any advise would be appreciated.

Love to all xx

Offline Syd72

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #139 on: 22/12/17, 08:42 »
    I think has just become my favourite thread!  Thanks for the welcome ladies.

Cece I'm totally with you on the whole kissing thing.  If I like you, I'll hug you, if I really like you I'll hug you and kiss you, once, on the cheek!  If I've just met you I don't want to hug or kiss you!  (Unless meeting Hugh Jackman for the first time, then I'd make an exception...)

Loving the vulva chat, I've never checked colour but have been known to check cervix position (which I can never work out) and feel (which does seem to change when I'm pregnant). 

No, my recent pregnancy hasn't changed my mind about DE, if anything it's convinced me.  I'm almost 46, I've had 4 natural pregnancies in the last 16 months (sort of, including the natural iui) and lost them all, basically I think my eggs are crap.  Even though 2 of them were chemicals I don't think I have implantation issues, two of them held on til over 8 weeks even though they both stopped developing around 5 weeks. OH doesn't have any sperm issues, even had the dna fragmentation test.  I just want a healthy pregnancy and baby and DE is my best shot at that, I don't have strong feelings at all about passing on my own dna.  I'm just excited and impatient to get going now.

Lulu, I've started the steroids already, have to do the down reg injection on Boxing Day (happy Christmas to me), then just waiting for AF to start.  I love the sound of you trip to Finland.

Butterfly, I wouldn't worry too much.  Do you know when you normally ovulate?  I've seen some people told not to DTD and others don't get told that, I think you'll be ok.  Sorry, that's probably not massively helpful.

Tootles, hope all goes well with your blood test results today.

Strawberry, where are you having your hysto?  Apologies if you've said it elsewhere or if it's in your signature, I can't see signatures in "reply" mode.
    Edit: just seen it's at Serum :)  Is that your first time?

Happy Christmas to you all, I hope everyone has a relaxing break.