* Author Topic: Over 40 - anyone else about to start an IVF cycle?  (Read 93821 times)

0 Members

Offline Tootles

modify
Over 40 - anyone else about to start an IVF cycle?
« Reply #20 on: 30/10/17, 20:32 »
Do it CEce40!  We can be boring together!! 

I really missed tea and coffee at first.  I couldn't get on with fruit teas (yuk!) and my mother in law gave me a lecture about unknown chemicals in decaf, so I kept trying to drink hot water on its own - not nice.  Then one day my other half created the best substitute and I've been drinking it ever since. It sounds disgusting but it works because I just imagine it being a cuppa, but a bad one.  I call it the none-tea tea.  It's just hot water and milk. Disgusting I hear you cry!! But give it a go! It's not bad at all. If I'm feeling really crazy I blob in some honey! Boy oh boy, its one long party on IVF!!??!

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline CEce40

modify
    « Reply #21 on: 30/10/17, 20:48 »
    Oh no, no. No, this is too much. When I started IVf I vowed not to take things too far and head to crazytown. Milky water is just a slippery slope to Wierdo Avenue in my book!

(I'm sure it's absolutely delicious....... maybe a recipe book next year?!)

Offline LuluLimon

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #22 on: 30/10/17, 21:41 »
    Hi ladies
    Can I join? I'm nearly 41 and we are aiming at our 2nd fresh IVF/isci in January.

We are lucky to have a son from our first then I had 3 early MC's from our frozens.
    We're having immunes tested with Dr gorgy but probably doing treatment at Zita West also.
    We've also had a partial torsion- so after a huge panic about having no sperm, things look to be coming back hence a slight delay until after Xmas- really hoping there will be enough.
    In the meantime we continue to pop our pills and be fairly "good" 😊
    Good luck to those starting drugs soon.

Offline Tootles

modify
    « Reply #23 on: 31/10/17, 18:19 »
    Hi LuluLimon
    Welcome! The more the merrier on here. Hope all goes well in your run up to your next try.

Hi CEce40 - yep I'm that person that floored it into fifth gear down to Weirdo Avenue!  I've done roast avocado, pineapple surprise (particularly bad) and a very 'memorable' egg lasagne.  All awful!! It's ridiculous really, because while I'm off the caffeine and the booze, I'm troughing chocolates and Haribos like they're going out of fashion!

Offline CEce40

modify
    « Reply #24 on: 31/10/17, 22:48 »
    Wow, a cacophony of kitchen calamities. I ate out of date chicken for lunch as it was the only thing in my fridge. Are we even ready to be parents??😜

Offline Efi78

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #25 on: 1/11/17, 06:36 »
    Haha girls you are very funny. I hope you don't mind me jumping in. Turning 40 in March and still trying for 1st baby. We have been trying since 2012.

CEce40 are we ready to be parents? lol. You know what? For all the pain i have been through I have to admit that this is the only time in my life that I am 100% ready. I keep thinking that If we had fallen pregnant when we first started I would now have a 6 year old child? I feel too young for that. I honestly don't feel my age at all. But for the first time I feel 100% fulfilled and ready to have a baby. They say that 40 is old but I feel so happy and fulfilled financially and mentally. Also, quite frankly the fact that that my husband and I are still child free means that we haven't aged at all yet. Still youthful looks!:)

Anyway I just wanted to give the positives of having a child later in life. I don't know If we will manage to succeed but at least we can give a lot to a child.

Offline CEce40

modify
    « Reply #26 on: 1/11/17, 08:14 »
    Hi efi78, yes I totally agree (despite my flippant scarcasm).

I spent most of my life not wanting children. I was never particularly maternal and always felt too young. I was stepmom to my previous husband's kids, which was hard and definitely enough for me at the time.

When I met my current (he's still on his trial period!!) husband 5 years ago, that was the first time I started to think about kids. Looking back i find it really interesting to think which came first - did I want kids because I'd finally found "the one" or did nature take over and make me attracted to someone who would be a good father to my children (I remember being really attracted to his morals - not at all an attribute I was looking for in my 20s!!).

I always thought making the decision to have children would be the hardest bit. When we decided to start trying (after completely shifting the mindset I'd had for my whole life), I walked around for the first 3 months like I was on the hill in the sound of music - at one with nature, arms aloft "soon I shall be impregnated and I shall sing with the birds and make apple pies!". But unfortunately we all know it doesn't work like that and that, quite frankly, our teachers blatantly lied to us to scare us into never having unprotected sex!

Anyway, even though, like you, I finally feel emotionally, financially, mentally really to have children, I know that if I was lucky enough for this to work, once I'd got over the shock, there'd still be a definite element of being totally scared sh*tless 😬

Offline Tootles

modify
    « Reply #27 on: 1/11/17, 19:40 »
    Wow, I love reading this. I can absolutely relate to the feeling of finally being ready to be a parent.

I put my career first and also went through a period of thinking that there was always going to be a 'better' bloke around the corner.  When I reached 40 I finally accepted that the glass ceiling at work that I'd always been adamant didn't exist, was actually very very real. In fact, it is more like an iron ceiling, and every time I bashed at it, the ceiling would get lower.  This made me stop and look at my life and my lovely partner, and realise that there is so much more to life than just work.

I thought it'd be sooo easy to get pregnant. I wouldn't go so far as to say I regret leaving it late, but I would like to tell my younger self that careers shouldn't mean sacrificing having children. 

If I am lucky enough to have a child I will definately make every attempt to empower he or she to think beyond the walls of a career that general society suggests makes you successful.  I will also make every attempt to not poison a child with my dreadful cooking, or fall asleep at 8pm with a baby on my lap, or forget the child when out shopping!! I too am bricking it with regards to not cocking parenthood up given the chance!

Offline miamiamo

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #28 on: 5/11/17, 16:06 »
    @Nicnik, Molly78 - I wish you all the best with the outcome of your cycle

Offline CEce40

modify
    « Reply #29 on: 7/11/17, 21:43 »
    Hi everyone,

Love reading the backstories. Anyone else want to contribute?

Where is everyone in their cycles? I'm on the pill (short cycle), have a scan on 21st Nov then hopefully start stims. I've been pretty consistent with previous cycles and usually 15 days from starting stims to egg collection, so thinking that will be 5th Dec.

Looking back at some of the previous posts on this chat I think some people will be in the 2ww by now - fingers crossed if you are.