* Author Topic: Over 40 - anyone else about to start an IVF cycle?  (Read 93825 times)

0 Members

Offline emma10

modify
Over 40 - anyone else about to start an IVF cycle?
« Reply #30 on: 7/11/17, 22:51 »
Hi ladies...
Can I join your chat please?
I'm currently in the 2ww of our last ever (FET) cycle...
My brief history....
I came off the pill when I was 30 (I was 40 last month)
Nothing happened so after all the usual tests we started our first round of IVF in 2010. After 2 pregnancies / 2 miscarriages and one failed cycle our miracle DS was born in 2014  - on what was meant to be our last cycle...
Trouble is we had frozen embryos (which we'd never had before)
In my mind I thought perfect a sibling in a couple of years but then was devastated when it failed.... so managed to persuade my DH to do a fresh cycle the same year which unfortunately also failed...but again we had 2 frozen embryos....
Which basically takes me to now.... 40 and doing cycle number 7!
I'm currently switching between feeling negative as the chances are slim after 2 failures as I've got older... to thinking it doesn't matter as I already have my DS.... but I know I'll still be gutted if it doesn't work.... you can't help feeling that way in the 2ww can you....?
My OTD is 16th Nov x x

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline Efi78

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #31 on: 8/11/17, 08:14 »
    Hi everyone
    I am currently waiting for next period to start so that I can transfer my last frozen blasto. I had another FET in October which ended up in BFN. So last embryo and if we fail then probably new cycle in January-February

I have been through a lot and currently in deep pain since last failure

Offline Greyhoundgal

• Volunteer
    modify
    « Reply #32 on: 8/11/17, 12:42 »
    Not cycling at the moment but did want to say I too totally get that thing about the iron ceiling Tootles....it does make you rethink things  ???

For those asking about serum, I really only have the best to say about them from my personal experience.  As a moderator, I have read mostly good feedback but there is also some negative and those for whom they are not the right clinic. Iíve watched as some couples move on to other clinics and have their successes there.  Penny is terribly motivated to get to your take home baby and will often do tests and take measures that othe clinics would consider over the top.  At the end of the day, I would always say, do your research. Ask questions of those cycling. Try to compare with other clinics.  As to too many embryos, they do have strict laws in Greece about how many can be put back (the law is posted in a sticky thread at the top of the Greek board if you want to read it).

Good luck ladies....

Grey xx

Offline Efi78

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #33 on: 8/11/17, 15:31 »
    Grey

Thank for the feedback. I might do some research at Serum.

As for the law...this is Greece!laws don't apply!

Offline Molly78

modify
    « Reply #34 on: 8/11/17, 21:05 »
    Bad luck Efi, hopefully youíll have better luck in the new year. Picking yourself up after failures is hard. Sounds like weíre in a similar situation Emma, I had DS in 2015 aged 37 and have had 2 failed fresh and 2 failed fets since, this really is our last cycle with my own eggs. I m 40 in a few weeks. Would consider DE if this fails but my DH isnít keen. I m having EC on Friday. More relaxed about lifestyle this time around, had a couple of glasses of wine and a few Costas! Last time I was good as gold and it still didnít work. Thanks for the best wishes Miamiamo.

Offline CEce40

modify
    « Reply #35 on: 10/11/17, 12:09 »
    Emma and Molly, fingers crossed

Efi, sounds rough. Hope you find a way to deal with your pain soon

This may be our last cycle with OE. I was pretty relaxed with the others, went to the gym a lot, tried to eat healthier (tried!), but not supplements and still did the binge drinking - you know, when you go out for "just a couple" and end up falling into a wheelie bin! - no? just me?? This time I've been inspired by some people on here and going to throw some extras at it. What the hell, it can't hurt, right?

I've been seduced by Zita West and got her IVF nutrition pack. Ten tons of supplements that I probably could have grabbed for a third of the price in Boots, but hey, it's got great packaging! I've also cut out the booze (boring) and having weekly acupuncture (not massively well researched, just the local lady on the high street sticking pins in me). All should have been started 3 months ago, apparently. Typical me, trying to cram everything into a couple of weeks and think it will have the same impact (flash back to exams, running a marathon, planning a wedding, basically my whole bloody life!)

So is my body now a temple? am i prepared mentally and physically for the stresses and strains of IVF? Am I serine, calm and at one with my ovaries? Well, no. I'm at home with the flu, shivering under a blanket. Perfect!

Offline Molly78

modify
    « Reply #36 on: 10/11/17, 19:43 »
    Sounds like weíre in reverse Cece, I used to be good, well quite and now I m being naughty. Good for you, I m sure the healthier you are the better and when itís your last go with OE you want to ensure you give it your best shot. Had collection today so feeling sleepy 😴

Offline CEce40

modify
    « Reply #37 on: 11/11/17, 10:56 »
    How did the collection go, Molly? Did you get as many as you expected?

Offline Tootles

modify
    « Reply #38 on: 11/11/17, 14:26 »
    Hi Ladies

Hope the egg collection went well Mollie. Are you feeling ok? I remember being a bit sore the next day.

Efi78 - how is the reasearch going? Hope you're getting lots of answers.

CEce40 - your post did make me laugh! I like your approach. Let me know if you want the egg lasagne recipe! Hope the flu does one sharpish and that hubby of yours is spoiling you rotten.

I'm just over a week into down reg, and have a scan on Wednesday. Doing some date maths, and likely to find out if I'm preggers on the 14th Decemeber if everything in the run up goes to plan. It's either going to be a flipping exciting Christmas, or an absolute shocker!  That good old IVF timing!

Talking of supplements, I'm taking DHEA this time round which I know can be a bit controversial. My IVF clinic advised that it could help, and who am I to question these genius people. 

Anyhow, it has side effects that I'm not too chuffed about. I literally look like I'm in training to be a brunette Father Christmas. I have more of a beard than my baby-faced other half and I am fast wearing out my tweezers.  And this morning the acne kicked in...oh joy!?! I've not had spots like this since I was 16. 

This is not the 2017 autumn / winter look I was going for.  Can't wait for the Christmas party season to kick in NOT!

Offline Molly78

modify
    « Reply #39 on: 11/11/17, 20:19 »
    At least an oily spotty face might keep the wrinkles at bay Tootles - you have to look for the positives in these situations. December isnít the greatest time to be cycling with all the parties but it could be the best Christmas present ever!

Egg colllection went ok thanks, got 8 eggs which I was delighted about, however, only 4 have fertilised so feeling a bit disappointed today itís such a roller coaster. The clinic will ring with on Monday with an update as to whether I ll have a 3 day transfer, currently booked in for a 5 day one so praying they are good enough for blastocyst culture 🙏

X