* Author Topic: Over 40 - anyone else about to start an IVF cycle?  (Read 94102 times)

0 Members

Offline emma10

modify
Over 40 - anyone else about to start an IVF cycle?
« Reply #40 on: 12/11/17, 07:49 »
Molly - think quality not quantity... you only need one good embryo... fingers crossed for you....

I have also been naughtier with this cycle..  actually on advice of the doctor believe it or not!  When we went it for the kick off appointment to say we're ready to go again, I said about cutting out caffeine and alcohol in preparation... doc said that they'd  done research and nothing showed that giving these up months in advance made a difference and to do whatever relaxes you as this is more important  :)
So have also had a few Costa's and only gave up alcohol and went to decaf just before the transfer....
Last time I did everything "properly" and it didn't work so tried to be a bit more relaxed this time...
x x

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline Molly78

modify
    « Reply #41 on: 12/11/17, 12:53 »
    Thanks Emma - I like the sound of your doctor👍

Offline CEce40

modify
    « Reply #42 on: 12/11/17, 13:24 »
    Tootles - I have no idea what DHEA is, but I need to get in on the teenage chic action. The perfect time of year to regress, in just a few weeks you could be doing an awkward side-to-side, hands on shoulders/hands on hips, couples sway to Wham at a school disco. Although I could do without the random hair growth. Gravity has definitely taken hold in my old age, not only have my boobs gone south but my eyebrows have started growing out of my nostrils. What the hell is that all about?

Molly - I get your disappointment. We've been doing icsi but switching to IVF this time so our Doc told us to prepare for a reduced fertilisation rate. We generally get 7 eggs and 5 fertilise, so I'm quite worried about dropping down. I know it's all about quality etc, but until the test you can't help but focus on the numbers game.

Emma - yeah, looks like we are doing it in reverse! The first couple of cycles I was focused on my weight and trying to get my BMI down. It's been quite a stressful year and work is getting on top of me a bit (feel like I've been trapped for 3 years since TTC and I'm getting really frustrated. Need to leave if this round doesn't work, I think), so this time I feel that I need to de-stress and relax a bit. I've gone for the supplements as a way to not worry about food, getting to the gym etc, I'm going to just try to chill and see what happens. I've cut out booze more because the hangovers are a mare! I'm taking a few weeks to hibernate and it feels really good - I'm actually watching X factor and really enjoying it! I feel so middle aged!

Doing my date maths, I should find out on 20th Dec. Enough time to hit a few parties and drink myself into stupidity if all goes wrong. I'll be the weird drunk uncle giving it the big guns on the dance floor then crying in the corner and telling random strangers I love them!

Offline emma10

modify
    « Reply #43 on: 12/11/17, 14:55 »
    Tooties - re the oily/teenage skin etc, I have suffered pretty much all through my 30s (prob not helped by all the IVF cycles!) But I finally feel like my skin has calmed down since hitting 40. But I'm treating this as a negative at the mo as I'm sure when I was pregnant with my DS my skin flared up...

My OTD is Thursday but even tho I'm not feeling particularly positive (mainly self preservation I think) I'm just dreading that being confirmed as this really is the last go for us.... on one hand I can't wait to find out but on the other hand there is still a chance (albeit slim) until then.... I'm driving myself mad... ^idiot^
    x x

Offline magicpillow

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #44 on: 12/11/17, 17:40 »
    Hi all.  I thought I'd pop along as I'm 41 and about to do our last IVF cycle.  This will be our 4th fresh and I've been agonising over whether to do it now or wait until the end of Jan as I worried I'm not healthy enough to go now (we got married recently so have been indulging in coffee, chocolate and general bad foods alongside my usual healthy meals). I decided I'm fed up with waiting and life being constantly on hold though so am just going to go for it.   Just hoping I'll be ok despite not having lost the weight I wanted to or having been totally virtuous with my diet.   Coffee and alcohol have been given up and I'm going to be as good as possible.  If all goes according to plan I'd find out around 28th December.

We are using donor sperm and I always find that I get a reasonable number of eggs for my age (around 8 - 12) and usually up with 1 or 2 blastocysts but always a BFN.  Wondering if it's now just about egg quality.  My first IVF cycle was a BFP but I miscarried.

It's so scary to think this is the last go.  If it doesn't work I feel like I may have one more in me (or maybe a donor egg cycle) but hubby is adamant this is the last go.  Definitely scared!

Offline Molly78

modify
    « Reply #45 on: 12/11/17, 20:21 »
    Seems like this is the last shot for many of us. Like you, Magic Pillow, I would probably have a DE cycle In me but my husband has had enough and we have already done 2 more cycles than we originally planned, he isnít keen on the donor option either at the moment.

Xx

Offline emma10

modify
    « Reply #46 on: 12/11/17, 20:31 »
    Our 4th cycle was meant to be our last too... which was the one that gave us our DS.
    The FET after was only as we had frozen embryos (which we'd never had before)...and we hoped to have a sibling... I think I thought as it was the same good batch that gave us our Son then it would work... but was devastated when it didn't.. .
    The last fresh cycle and this FET was never in the plan and I had to persuade my DH too...
    I think this is why I'm finding this time harder as I know it is the end now.. x x

Offline Molly78

modify
    « Reply #47 on: 12/11/17, 20:37 »
    Itís hard isnít it Emma, I also had a fet after my DS and was quite upbeat but it didnít work. I did read somewhere that youíre more likely to have success again with a full fresh cycle so perhaps this FET is your time, itís such a lottery, good luck the 2 WW is a killer but you donít have long to wait now.... x

Offline emma10

modify
    « Reply #48 on: 12/11/17, 20:47 »
    Fingers crossed for us both Molly...
    I know I'm luckier than most as already have my DS...
    This whole process makes me even more grateful for him as he just seems even more precious right now x x

Offline Molly78

modify
    « Reply #49 on: 15/11/17, 20:21 »
    I had two blastocysts transferred today 🙏 good luck for tomorrow Emma hope you get your BFP xx