* Author Topic: Over 40 - anyone else about to start an IVF cycle?  (Read 94100 times)

0 Members

Offline LuluLimon

• Gold Member
modify
Over 40 - anyone else about to start an IVF cycle?
« Reply #70 on: 24/11/17, 15:44 »
Hi ladies.

Emma very sorry to hear your result. Downright sucks. Big hugs with your son x

Tootles 15 sounds a great number! Fingers crossed for next week EC.
Tigersmiles- yay to starting.
Molly- when do you test? I think every time feels different. Don't overread any symptoms x
Efi/CeCe hope are having a good week.

Had our ZW consultation and booked in for a Feb EC/EAT depending on AF! Eep! Going with intralipids, clexane and prednisolone which will be different from last time. Interesting they thought the slow freezing technique might have had more of a role in our failed FETs that my immunes. Which made me feel better as I'd been kicking myself for not testing and "wasting" the embryos.
So countdown begins, I start microgynon/buserelin around xmas.

I feel with you ladies who hate their job/ don't get the support there. The best thing I did was going freelance. It was a gamble but am so happy to be out of office politics and able to say "no". There are downsides like no holiday pay but it's freezing and even if I didn't have my son would let me travel more etc. Companies are pretty demanding and I was lucky to work for a charity with a super fertility treatment policy( they were about parenthood so had to really) but I left a better job to do it. It doesn't matter if our change then get pregnant, they can just deal with it.
Wishing you all a good weekend x
Lulux

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline Tootles

modify
    « Reply #71 on: 24/11/17, 17:44 »
    LuluLimon - that sounds positive and gives you a good bit of time to ease into it.  Time will fly by between now and Christmas so hope you can take care of yourself in the run up.

CEce40 - chin chin to bring hosp buddies! How are you feeling? Any side effects? Any idea when your egg collection might be?

I'm feeling really bloated and quite uncomfortable. The follicles looked noticabley different on screen in comparison to last time. I'm hoping that's a good thing. My numbers aren't up on last time, so I'm hoping that means that all of these extra supplements are helping with quality rather than quantity.

Offline CEce40

modify
    « Reply #72 on: 24/11/17, 20:01 »
    I'm still feeling blurg. Constant headache for 3 weeks now, not sure whether my symptoms are flu, hormones or drugs. Probably a heady combo of all 3. I was doing a particularly spectacular squat at the gym today (spectacular for me, not so for my trainer who has to hover behind me like a mad thing ready to grab me as I topple backwards and garrote myself with the weights) and had a V painful side. I shied away from rolling around on the floor declaring that I'd twisted an ovary. Tad dramatic. I may save that excuse for lunges!

How did your follicles look different? were they pumping iron? having a disco? I'm intrigued. I love a challenge, I'm going to train mine to do a cartwheel  ;D

Offline Tootles

modify
    « Reply #73 on: 27/11/17, 13:43 »
    How's the head CEce40? Hope it's eased off. Impressed that you are going to the gym. Have you had any more pains?

How are you getting on Lulu? Hope all is well.

I've just come back from another scan. Follicles have grown nicely.  Was told egg collection could be as early as Wednesday. I was hoping it would be Friday as they'd previously advised as I really want the follicles to grow a bit more this time.

They looked different again! Much clearer this time. Maybe because I sort of know what I'm looking for on the screen this time.  Last time i could barely make them out.  My right ovary is doing well. My left one not so much.

I know it's best to bank on quality and not quantity, but I really hope there are enough to get one or more to freeze.  Dreading the thought of doing this all over again.  I'm at the stage where it's all going too well and I'm already convinced it's not going to work. Guess that's my nature so that I don't fall so hard if this cycle isn't a success.  My emotions are all over the place!

Offline CEce40

modify
    « Reply #74 on: 27/11/17, 21:35 »
    sounds all good, Tootles, good luck for Wednesday. How's the bloating?

My head's still a bit ropey, I'm up and down but expecting I'll be like this until EC, which I'm thinking will be next wednesday. I'm trying to go to the gym, but not really doing much, more a token gesture at the moment, really.

Offline LuluLimon

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #75 on: 28/11/17, 17:51 »
    Tootles- will your EC be tomorrow or Friday? Be positive- send those eggies lots of beautiful vibes!! Hope you get a good few out.
    Cece- when will you hear about your EC date?
    I should be DR'ing just before NY...so that's lots of pudding for me as the bloating can then be blamed 😁

Offline Tootles

modify
    « Reply #76 on: 29/11/17, 05:59 »
    I like your approach Lulu!  And Christmas pudding is mainly fruit, so it's healthy isn't it?!! I went on a guilt trip for eating a mince pie that was laced with brandy!!  I am that ridiculous woman.  Definitely blaming the medication (and complete and utter desperation at the moment).  Hopefully you can have a fun and relaxing Christmas so that your body will be nicely ready for down reg. Do you get much time off work? 

CEce - hope that your head is bearable. Do you think it's the meds or the stress of it all?  When is your next scan?  Hope it goes well. You're doing well to go to the gym at all. Credit to you.

Do you mind me asking, which clinics are you ladies at?  I'm at Nurture in Nottingham.

I triggered last night and go in for EC tomorrow at 8.30am.  The clinic called me at 2.45pm while I was sat at my desk in London, to say inject at 5pm and 6.30pm... I live in Nottingham and the commute is just over two and a quarter hours.  Managed to jump in a taxi, peg it to Kings Cross and made the 3.08pm train with a minute to spare!  Lovely train guard asked if I was ok.  Brain frazzled so just told her the truth and she let me off paying for a new ticket, which of course sent me into floods of tears.  So made a complete tit of myself there!  Got through the front door at 4.59pm!!   Phewww!!  Then when it got to 6.30pm I got stuck on a call with a client telling me all his woes - grrrrr!!  In the end I just cut him off!  He's not a nice man and so I definitely don't feel guilty about that one!

Thanks for the positive vibes.  Trying to stay calm and distract myself but I'm at that all encompassing point and can't focus.  It's my other half's birthday today so have just laid out his pressies and will take him a cuppa up shortly.

xx

Offline CEce40

modify
    « Reply #77 on: 29/11/17, 21:45 »
    Bloody hell Tootles, think you win the prize for the most taxing trigger tale! Good luck tomorrow, how you feeling now? happy to be getting to the next stage?

My head's been a bit better thanks. Acupuncture helped, I had so many needles in my head at the weekend I felt like Pinhead from the Hellraiser films. I think its the hormones, I always get bad headaches when I cycle, just have to man up and get on with it really.

I've been stuck at work so not made it back to the gym. I'd give up entirely if it wasn't for my 21 year old personal trainer who sometimes seems more invested in this fertility journey than me! I'm like his life coach. He ruined my longest ever plank when he told me his on/off girlfriend of 4 weeks had said she loved him - I laughed so much I fell on the floor! ahhh, the youth of today. Please don't let this feel you into thinking I'm some sort of lycra bunny. I'm just a fatty who feels a bit better about eating cake if I get sweaty with a young boy twice a week!

I'm cycling with Guys in London. I find it quite interesting that each clinic seems to have its own pet drugs and protocols. I only have 1 trigger injection and its done 36 hours before collection, so I dont think I'd ever be asked to trigger at 5 and have to do a Starsky and Hutch across London.

A London to Nottingham commute is monstrous, I dont know how you do it. On the plus side, if you're in London and this works for both of us we could meet up and be bump buddies, bouncing people out of the way down Oxford street...... 

Offline Tootles

modify
    « Reply #78 on: 30/11/17, 19:27 »
    That made me laugh out very loud! I love your gym rationale! Glad that you're not a lycra nut (I say that out of pure jealousy as I look like an exhausted chipolata in the stuff).  Your personal trainer sounds just the ticket. Ask him if he has a cousin in Notts will you?!

I'm fascinated by all of the different meds and methods across different clinics. I've got great faith in my clinic, but would like them to be a bit more exacting on explaining what things mean. I had a call after my last scan saying my bloods were at over 4000 which, apparently, is great. But 4000 what? That sort of thing. I see ladies posting on here with all sorts of figures and abbreviations and I'm clueless!  Hey ho, I guess ignorance is bliss!

Well I had EC today and have been flat out on the sofa all day.  They retrieved 15 which I'm pleased about, 4 more than last time. Not at all painful afterwards unlike last time, so it's all looking good for now.

Other half was pleased as punch with his 'sterling' contribution. The description of the deposit room made me howl.  Black leather sofa and some saucy mags, with framed pictures of ladies in all manner of water based activities on the walls?! I dread to think!

So hoping for a hell of a party in that test tube tonight and some good numbers in the morning.

I would LOVE to be bump buddies, strutting our stuff down Oxford St, showing those young'uns how it's done!  We can go smock shopping, and demand a seat on the tube. I imagine it may be more of a waddle than a strutt though, and looking for a loo every 200 yards! Bring it on!

Offline CEce40

modify
    « Reply #79 on: 1/12/17, 19:06 »
    yay, 15 eggs is awesome. How did they get on over night? Fingers crossed they ignored the flirting, put aside the foreplay and got straight down to the dirty business.

Sounds like the "production" rooms all follow a similar theme. Guys has definitely cottoned on to the wipe clean properties of the leather sofa. I'm not sure about your wall art though. That caters for quite an acquired taste. I've heard some dodgy stag do tales about Nottingham, but didn't really expect the general community to all be fetishists - you're wild up there!! My husband's friend did IVF with Guys years ago, they recently had a drunken conversation about how they'd both 'performed' in the same room, using the same 'reading materials'! - how beautiful that IVF can provide such a bonding experience  ;D

Loving the exhausted chipolata image. I'm glad there's someone out there who looks as ridiculous in the company of fit people as me. If you tried to stuff a beef tomato into a child's sock, then shoved it in the microwave, you'd get a miniature version of me post warm-up. I should pay my trainer danger money!

I have absolutely no idea what people are talking about with all the tests and level of things. What the hell could 4000 be?? I dont even have blood tests with my scans. They just have a look, take a few measurements and out I go.

I had my scan today. Very mixed bag of sizes. One too big, few in the middle and 4 tiddlers. Got another scan on Sunday and hopefully EC on Tuesday. Probably only going to get 4 or 5 mature eggs so I'm hoping they will all be so pumped full of the highly priced Zita West supplements that they'll be irresistible to hubby's little wrigglers.