* Author Topic: Over 40 - anyone else about to start an IVF cycle?  (Read 93829 times)

0 Members

Offline Tootles

modify
Over 40 - anyone else about to start an IVF cycle?
« Reply #80 on: 3/12/17, 06:45 »
Hope the scan goes well today CEce40. I've got it all crossed for you. That sounds like a good range so far.  It's amazing for quickly the tiddlers grow. Get those legs (and toes shaved if you're anything like me!!) ready for the routine draft enduring position.

Have you been strict with hubby in terms of diet? I have no control over mine.  He seems to live off mashed potato, beans and double deckers.

Yep, we're pretty edgy in good old Notts. We've got a Hooters and everything!! I asked my other half to pay specific attention to the dates on the mags, and go for the latest (freshest) edition!

Well 11 eggs made it through to Friday. We get the call tomorrow to tell us how they've done over the weekend. If we work off the same percentages as last time we could have two to put back in (2.75 actually, not that I've been obsessing about the numbers or anything  :o )!! Fingers crossed.

I'm going on a cookery course today, being taken by Howard Middleton (Great British Bake Off character from the series before last I think)....told you Nottingham was edgy!! We get all the best celebs up here! Anyhow, he'll be demonstrating smokes trout Christmas trees with trout caviar, and Stilton cobs (that's a bread roll if you're south of Watford).   Oh joy, two of the foods our nurse told me to just avoid during IVF to be on the safe side, and a nice reminder of fertility with the caviar!

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline CEce40

modify
    « Reply #81 on: 3/12/17, 19:56 »
    I LOVE Howard from Bake Off. I'm like a total fangirl. He's so cute, I just want to sit him on my mantelpiece! How was it? have you kicked your egg lasagna to the curb in favour of trout trees? (which sound equally as disgusting, to be honest)

I had my scan today. 5 mature eggs and another 2 that may creep up there by Tuesday. EC booked for Tuesday at 12, meaning a trigger at midnight tonight - but Sunday nights are bath time and early bed, everyone knows that!

We've not been told to avoid any food or change our diet in any way. Again, its fascinating the different advice, drugs etc from clinic to clinic. I think it just goes the show that there's still so many unknowns involved and really comes down to a lot of luck.

12 embies still on the go sounds great. When are you having your transfer and how many are you putting back? we always go for 3 but I'd have all of them if they'd let me. The chances of this working are so low that I have zero concerns about a multiple pregnancy - in fact I'd bloody love it!

How's everyone else getting on? it's been a bit quiet recently, hope everyone is still on track and progressing well

Offline Tiger Smiles

modify
    « Reply #82 on: 4/12/17, 22:29 »
    Hey all,
    Anyone know how you can get alerts when someone posts in the group?

Cece40 congrats on the 5 mature eggs and hope the scan goes well tomorrow. How you feeling?

Tootles I'll be with you and Cece40 on the dry Christmas train. It's going to be so tough with work parties and social events. Any tips of how you are going to get around not drinking?

As for me, this isn't my first rodeo so thought I'd be used to the side effects. But they seem to change.
    I'm on Menopur 450 and Buserelin, three days away from my first stim scan. But I can't sleep and I am having night sweats and sooo irritable. Argh

Offline Tootles

modify
    « Reply #83 on: 5/12/17, 06:25 »
    Morning

The night sweats are just awful aren't they Tiger Smiles? So uncomfortable. I hope that your side effects mean that lots is happening. Good luck with your stim scan tomorrow.

I find the whole not drinking thing at parties soooo difficult such that I'd rather not go! I don't mind day time parties, but anything after 6pm and I'm just too miserable for words!  The only one teeny tiny thing that helps is drinking your soft drink from a champagne or cocktail glass. It fools the mind for at least 10 seconds!

How was the trigger CEce40? Good luck today. I really hope you get good results. Do you have any injections post EC? I've just got pesseries now. Thinking of you today.

Egg transfer at 11.30am today for me. As of yesterday, no blastocysts but all 11 were still going and described as a mixed bag. She said that 30% likely to survive until today.

My clinic will only put two and no more back in. They got a telling off by the FHEA for having too high results for multiple pregnancies so they are a bit touchy on numbers.

Howard was lovely by the way, but his bakes weren't so hot. It was all gluten free. God help anyone who is gluten intolerant as the menu seems so bleak! I'm a full fat kinda gal and pea flour with lemon peel and half a teaspoon of olive oil just doesn't cut it for me!

I really want a massive glass of red wine.

Offline Tiger Smiles

modify
    « Reply #84 on: 6/12/17, 10:49 »
    Morning all,

Tootles - 11 eggs is brilliant, I really hope the transfer went well yesterday. How you feeling today?  Look after yourself today though, the sedation knocks me for six.

And uggh yeah night sweats are frankly gross and uncomfortable, sweat beads dripping from my forehead are not sexy!
    I got up in the middle of the night to have a quick deodrant spray and scrambled round in the dark to change my top, then got back up within hours to inject the Menopur and Buserelin lol! But all this will be worth it.

And yeah with you all who want a glass of something, it's so Christmasy with the smell of mulled wine in lots of places. Don't laugh but I'm actually using warm Vimto/Ribena as a substitute!!

CEce40 - how did the trigger go? Hope it went well.

LuluLimon - good luck with the Down Regging before New Year, I know the wait to start can be annoying but it will fly by. Are you taking any additional supplements?

And I know there's been talk on her about work and juggling it, personally it's been ok for me. I've got an understanding boss but having done previous cycles I find that this time of year is easier to juggle as lots of people are off anyway and I've just taken extra leave. One bit of advice I had was that you don't have to go into specifics, I could have just said I'm having gynaecological examinations and for any time off that is acceptable. :-)

Offline CEce40

modify
    « Reply #85 on: 6/12/17, 11:56 »
    Tootles - hope the transfer went well, how many did you get in the end?

Tiger Smiles - The night sweats are the pits. This is my 4th cycle and I switched to the short protocol to try to avoid the impromptu waterbed moments. It's been a lot easier without the buscerelin. I've still had disturbed sleep, but only towards the end of the stims. If the night sweats are a sign of things to come then I definitely want to stop this age juggernaut if anyone has any ideas for a miracle cure!

I had my egg collection yesterday. They said they collected 6, so a bit disappointed with my 'empty sacks', which has now become my husband's affectionate name for me! Clinic just called an said that I actually had 7 (apparently yesterday they were questioning whether one was actually an egg - what the hell else could it have been!!!) and 4 have fertilised. This is the fist time we've done IVF as the other 3 rounds were icsi. We were really worried that only a couple would fertilise, so pretty happy with the 4. Transfer booked for Sunday. We've always had 3 day transfers but we're taking them to 5 this time to see if there's anything going wrong between 3 and 5 days. Fingers crossed they make it, but if not we will thaw our one solitary frosty and chuck that in instead. so first hurdle down, next update on Friday.

The drinking thing is horrible. I'd rather avoid going out than stay sober - how bad is that, I sound like a teenager! I've craftily arranged all my christmas nights out for this weekend, in between EC and transfer. Big nights arranged for Thurs, Fri and Sat then back to being good again. I'm hoping the killer hangovers that await me are sufficient to quash my desire to hit the wine and get me through the 2ww - possibly wishful thinking though, I'll let you know how that goes!

Offline CEce40

modify
    « Reply #86 on: 6/12/17, 11:58 »
    Oh and Tiger Smiles, you can turn the alerts on in your profile. I can't remember where but I think I found it easily enough and I'm a massive technophobe, so you should be fine

Offline Tiger Smiles

modify
    « Reply #87 on: 6/12/17, 12:35 »
    CEce40 aww thanks I will try the alerts!

But 6 then 7 eggs is brilliant!! Yeah what did the clinic think was in there, an orange. "Hiya CEce40, we are just calling as wev've unusually found an orange in there!" Lordy  ::)

It's funny you were saying about doing IVF and not ICSI, I was actually thinking that last night. Would it have been better to do IVF only but tbh we've paid now and getting money back after paying for something, is almost as trick as getting, well an orange from an egg collection! lol

I've tried to organise xmas functions in between things too, so fingers crossed all will go well. Though the last time I went out I said I would get Mojito's for everyone, so I went up to the bar and thought I'd be smart and tell the waitress that I wanted virgin one and specifically said DO NOT announce mine is a virgin.
    What does she do?  "Sooooo here are the Mojito's ladies! And YOURS is the Virgin" You can imagine everyone's faces. I then made a silly excuse saying: "Wait - nooo that's a mistake. Of coursssseee I want a regular one!". hahah

Offline Tootles

modify
    « Reply #88 on: 6/12/17, 13:52 »
    Congrats on the 7 eggs CEce40. So 4 going strong. Nice work! Hope you make it through to Friday without breaking into the clinic to see how they are doing! I wish it was possible to get more regular updates, but I guess they don't want to disturb them.  Are you now loving the joys of pesseries?!

I've calmed down a bit over night but was really disappointed yesterday.  Quality is a massive issue for us. Out of the 11, we only got two grade C's and a D. So none to freeze and the two Cs popped back in.  I've not got much hope.  Was quite annoyed at the way our clinic delivered the results, as it was all, well, very clinical!! It's not that I wanted a fan fair and dancing girls or anything, just a more informed approach and some explanations on a few things rather than a rushed delivery of the numbers.

Hope the stims scan goes well Tiger. Keep us posted.

Right, I'm off to sulk in a corner for at least another 4 hours!

Offline CEce40

modify
    « Reply #89 on: 6/12/17, 16:26 »
    Oh no, Tootles, that's disappointing. I can see why you would be so down, especially with the great number of eggs, but it's not over yet. I don't know much about blast grading, but you've still got two viable blasts on board. I've had 'perfect' grades and cells for day 3 and still got BFN. My M/C was from a lower graded batch of day 3s, so you never can tell. I understand how you feel though, I'm not convinced mine will even get to day 5, but that doesn't stop the hoping.

So come on soldier - sulk, scream, throw things, cry, wallow, swear and shout in that corner for the next 4 hours, then pick yourself up and get back in the game. It's not over till the fat lady signs, and I've not even started my warm-up yodel yet!! x  ^hugme^

Tiggersmiles- it definitely felt like an orange! I'm guessing my weird mutated egg is not one of the ones that fertilised. It doesn't bear thinking about what that would develop into. Maybe I'll make medical history!