* Author Topic: TTC with PGD/PGS - Part 4  (Read 24168 times)

0 Members

Offline -Susan-

• Gold Member
modify
TTC with PGD/PGS - Part 4
« Reply #10 on: 3/02/18, 22:54 »
Oh wow, I'm sorry to hear that, it must have been traumatic. My cousin was stillborn because of that, although that was 38 weeks gestation I think, because they tried to turn her. I'm so glad yours was a better outcome, hope this pregnancy is much smoother too. Yes transfer for me, hopefully, on Wednesday, sent for testing Monday. I'm guessing not all seven will go for testing but realistically best case scenario 5-6 will. 50% on average have hubbys genetic condition so really hoping the strongest ones are genetically healthy. The numbers get so worryingly small! They dwindle quickly. Just keep telling myself, only takes one... :D xx

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline LauraC81

modify
    « Reply #11 on: 4/02/18, 12:38 »
    Hi Ladies,

Would it be OK if I joined you?  I'm doing PGD due to genetic condition DH has which is 50/50 to be passed onto our children.

Have already done 1 round of IVF which didn't get to PGD stage as they discovered I have an egg issue too (only 3 eggs retrieved although all fertilised normally).  Thus awaiting start of second cycle so that we can get more embies before they all get tested together.

Am hoping desperately that we get plenty this time round as we can't afford a third (privately funded) round!

Susan I'm at Edinburgh too and your diary has been great to read!

Everyone else, hi!  Looking forward to spending this journey with you all and hopefully seeing great results for us all!

Offline Sparkle789

modify
    « Reply #12 on: 4/02/18, 22:46 »
    Hello ladies I hope you are all doing well. I havent posted in a while, things got busy with xmas and after, trying to get back into routine!!

Susan thats great about your 7 embryos - fingers crossed the results come back good!

Suffolkgirl - I canít believe its 23 weeks already! It gives me hope that we can have luck for a sibling too! Im not sure if i asked you already but is this baby from the same batch as your son?

Molly - i used aspirin at the same time as clexane for my second FET, which was the one that gave me my daughter. Didnt use it first time round so the consultant suggested baby aspirin too. I also had a scratch and did lots of other things differently to the first cycle so who knows what worked!

Laura - welcome and good luck for your next cycle! Hopefully the clinic will be able to tweak it so that you get more eggs this time round!

Welcome hopeful! It is definitely nerve wracking, going through the process! But if you try to focus on one day at a time it will help! And remember it might not work first time but that doesnt mean it wont work! I found it really difficult when my first round didnt work as everyone kept telling us we had great odds because no fertility problems and we were young (early 30s) so it was quite a blow! But 3 months later my next cycle worked and my daughter is 10m old now! All the best and its great to have this board to chat to others in the same position.

As for me, we had a consultation at the clinic on friday - basically paid £200 to be told we could start whenever we wanted (well, two months clear of breastfeeding), and that my protocol would he exactly the same as my previous round! Just makes you so much more grateful for having nhs funding first time round! And as the consultant pointed out, we are very fortunate to have frozen embryos so dont have to go through the whole stimming/pgd testing again - that would be extortionate! So now to decide when to start. We are thinking of having a transfer in july, which if it works and the pregnancy goes well, would mean the baby would be born close to DDs birthday - is that a silly thing to do, given we can choose when to have our FET? We dont really want to do it before as i only go back to work in may, and i thought if it doesnt work then we can try again in oct, i wouldnt want to go straightaway so dont want to leave it too late.

I also wanted to ask those of you who are trying/have already cycled for a sibling, how do you go about doing everything with the toddler? My main concernat the moment is getting healthy - eating, exercise, and sleep. I basically am so focused on raising a baby that i dont know where i will have the time to get healthy like i was in my peevious cycle. I was even up on iron and b12! But during my mat leave, i have just become so unhealthy - i dont have time to eat that well and i never exercise as i am always with the baby! And i am so busy cooking for her all sorts of things 3 times a day! Im already stressed about how im going to fit in everything i do now with working as well so no idea where i will fit in anything else for myself!! Just seemed so easy now in hindsight, i had so much free time!

Offline Hopeful_10

modify
    « Reply #13 on: 5/02/18, 10:12 »
    Hi ladies and thank you all for the lovely welcome!

Suffolk girl & Molly- I joined this forum precisely for the reason of contact with others who are going through the same thing as us. I know we've not really got started yet and it is certainly a daunting prospect! Even though we've known we would take this path for quite some time, it now feels more real and I feel like ai have so many questions, including many questions about things that I yet know nothing about. I am full of anticipation (both good and bad!) for our first appointment but in the meantime am trying to focus on each day one at a time as well as making more of an afford with my eating and exercise.

Sparkle - I'm trying to find a way to balance being realistic about PGD yet remaining hopeful too!

Laura - Welcome. Hope this forum will offer you support with your upcoming cycle.

Susan - Congratulations on the fertilized eggs. I hope that you are feeling better.

Offline -Susan-

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #14 on: 5/02/18, 17:49 »
    Hi ladies, flying visit from me. 4 out of 7 sent for testing. Really disheartened by the drop off rate - my eggs haven't  been an issue in the past but growth is driven only be the egg the first three days. Hubbys sperm has always been poor and it's about to kick in. Need a miracle at this stage and preparing for no transfer on wednesday. I know there are others who had a baby from very small numbers but I feel like I've  used up all my good fortune on cycle two with my son. We will see though.
    Almost don't want Wednesday to come because I can cling to a small amount of hope until then!

Back to get scanned tomorrow for overstimulation too.

Sparkle I'll answer in more detail later but I've found it ok balancing my son with trestment. I've depended on childcare though. Like you I'm less healthy than previous cycles! Xx

Offline Molly82

modify
    « Reply #15 on: 5/02/18, 18:50 »
    Hi Susan, sorry to hear only 4 were sent for testing. Are you testing on day 3 and doing a fresh transfer on day 5 of any unaffected ones? I have only had the biopsies done on day 5 but 50% of total eggs collected are meant to go to blast so hopefully these 4 are the strong ones! Best of luck, I do think PGD is mostly down to luck rather than anything else.

Welcome Laura and Sparkle! Good luck with your upcoming appointments and hope all goes smoothly- it is such a rollercoaster!

Thanks everyone for letting me know about the aspirin - Iím going to check with my consultant next week. Iím on fragmin 5000 twice daily so may reduce that to once daily and add the baby aspirin. How much Clexane were people taking? Is aspirin added at embryo transfer or if you get a BFP?  Also does anyone know the optimal level of progesterone before transfer?

Offline suffolkgirl

modify
    « Reply #16 on: 5/02/18, 19:40 »
    Hi all,

Susan sorry you're down to 4 to test but you're still in with a chance, don't give up hope. Will you hear anything about progress of those 4 tomorrow or do you have to wait until Wed to see how they've done and the pgd results?

Welcome Laura! Everything crossed for a good number this round. When are you looking to start your second cycle?

Sparkle, yes this baby from same batch as my son which was my one and only fresh cycle. We were fortunate enough to end up with 5 healthy embryos, no.1 was d's, no.2 was first FET in 2016 which was ended in miscarriage and this one was no.3 second FET, so we've got 2 left frozen.

I didn't find it too bad doing the frozen cycles with a toddler to be honest, although ds is a little bit older. Think he'd just turned 2 for our first try and the second transfer was just before his 3rd birthday. I didn't change much diet wise to be honest and ashamed to say I don't really do any exercise but running around after a little one is exercise enough! I think the toughest bit I found with the FETs was the medication. Think my clinic go a little ott so found it a bit overwhelming and one of the types of tablets just wiped me out so just had to time when to take them.

Molly I think my clinic like progesterone levels to be 100 or above for transfer. Although they didn't actually test it until transfer day and just had to adjust dose after if needed x x

Offline LauraC81

modify
    « Reply #17 on: 6/02/18, 12:55 »
    Sparkle; thank you, they told me there's nothing they can do to change the results but I'm going to push them to review the protocol...unfortunately I don't know enough to know whether what they're doing is best for me or not.  I don't think having their birthdays close together is silly, in fact it's brilliant as they can share parties until they're too old to want to do that - parents of their friends will thank you for that too!

Hopeful; thank you, already reading all the messages has been of help knowing I'm not going thru it alone!

Susan; keeping everything crossed for you!

Molly; thank you, I'm afraid I can't help with your questions about clexane and progesterone as have not taken them myself but perhaps I should be???

Suffolkgirl; thank you, AF came last night (yeay!) so in tomorrow for my scan (deep joy) and then, if same as last time, will start Buserlin injections on day 21 of cycle.  Where are you in your journey?  I presume you've had a trfr are you past the 2ww?

Hugs and babydust to all xx

Offline -Susan-

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #18 on: 6/02/18, 16:21 »
    Laura sounds like you're on long protocol? You could ask the ladies in the low amh / poor responders section about the best protocols to increase eggs. From memory I don't think long is best. I've found dr t will listen to your views, if he thinks you understand what you're talking about / asking for. I questioned my protocol for this round and he said I could do the other one I expected to do if I wanted; he also let me decide whether to transfer an embryo despite ohss, which actually I think a lot of doctors wouldn't have done.

In regards to cycling with a child I've found it fine. If anything it's really helpful as I know I have him whatever the outcome. Childcare is trickier but I'm lucky having my parents nearby to help. I also had to teach him not to go near mummy when she's injecting!! But he knew that because of his dad who is diabetic and injects insulin. I also never take him to the clinic as firstly he will get in the way, secondly it's not fair on childless couples. Although I don't think there's many clinics that welcome children anyway, but have heard of it.

As for me... One potential embryo for transfer tomorrow. No idea on growth, quality, etc. I'm just to go in tomorrow morning. This doesn't get any easier the more you do it!! But I'm so relieved there's one still fighting. Xx

Offline LauraC81

modify
    « Reply #19 on: 6/02/18, 20:00 »
    Hey Susan,

I will ask them, it does seem weird by Dr T said there was no point in doing anything different, I will ask again tomorrow though and see, part of the problem is I don't know what the other options are.

Best of luck for you tomorrow! xx