* Author Topic: TTC with PGD/PGS - Part 4  (Read 24171 times)

0 Members

Offline Hopeful_10

modify
TTC with PGD/PGS - Part 4
« Reply #130 on: 29/05/18, 23:05 »
SummerSun1 - after the test is made, I think we need to receiver our protocol and will have another appointment for injection training, consent signing and some screening tests. We should then need to get the drugs delivered and wait for the right part in my cycle to start treatment. That's what should happen but I'm bracing myself in case there is a delay of some sort.

Sparkle789 - your husband is certainly right that there will never be the perfect time but like you said, there will probably be times when you feel strong and ready to face the challenge of treatment. Do whatever feels right for you. I have found the waiting really difficult too!

What do people think about starting treatment whilst on holiday. We've booked a week off next month. No doubt we'll not be able to get started as soon anyway but I was wondering about how starting treatment would work if we were away. I've read that even some drugs that didn't need to be kept in the fridge before do now. What do people think about this or do you have experience yourself?

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline SummerSun1

modify
    « Reply #131 on: 31/05/18, 17:58 »
    Hi Hopeful, I think it would totally depend what drugs you're on.  You're doing long protocol too I think?  So for me, that involved a single injection done at the hospital and then nothing for 2 weeks - so going on holiday after that injection would be fine.  My stims also don't need to be kept in the fridge so that would be no problem either.  Maybe you could call your clinic now and ask them when you'd expect to get started assuming your test is ready when it should be?  I know that when I got to the top of the list (my test had been made whilst on the waiting list so was ready) it still took another cycle from the consents appointment to actually get going.  Everything seems to take ages.  It's so frustrating not being able to plan holidays and things - I don't think I've planned anything more than a week in advance in the last year!  I feel like I'm always waiting for a hospital appointment of some sort.... 

Sparkle - thanks!  Stims still going ok, starting to feel a bit sore now.  Also very tired, but that could just be me looking for an excuse for napping  :)

Hope everyone else is doing well.
    x

Offline Hopeful_10

modify
    « Reply #132 on: 2/06/18, 09:17 »
    Hi SummerSun1 - I think even though I'm doing the long protocol that my drugs are different to yours. If I understood correctly, they were planning for me to be having daily injections right through even for suppression. I don't think I'm going to know until my protocol is drawn up and because I've never had the medications, I'm learning about them from scratch. I also think there might have been some recent changes with some of the drugs needing to be stored in the fridge when they didn't need this previously. The target date for having our test made was 6/6 so I didn't want to bother them until after then. If we don't hear anything within a week I'll follow it up. We will need a consent/injection training appointment and to receive our protocol and medication but I think we should be about ready to get going after that. I don't see what else would hold it up but there is always a wait so I'm getting ready for that to be the case. I might try to work out from my cycle possible start dates for the next few months.

We're usually pretty last minute when it comes to holidays anyway. Just wondering if it would be good to take a break ahead of treatment starting. We'd only be popping going somewhere in Europe like Spain or Italy. I imagine treatment will take over from now on and who knows how long for and (fingers crossed) it might be the last holiday just us two without bump or baby.

Hope you're still managing the Stims ok and are not too uncomfortable. It's good to hear that you haven't been finding it too much hassle and haven't needed too much time off so far.

Hope everyone else is doing well X

Offline thirteenfortyfive

• Un-Ranked
    modify
    « Reply #133 on: 5/06/18, 13:46 »
    Hi everyone,
    This is my first time posting, having read through everyoneís experiences of PGD. Me and my partner are currently on the waiting list to start PGD at Guys. My partner has a genetic condition (Lynch Syndrome) and 50% chance of passing it on.
    Our situation continues to baffle me, we were told about the PGD after my partner was diagnosed and treated for cancer.
    Whilst waiting for the initial PGD appointment to come through I had a HyCoSy to check if everything was ok and was told that both my tubes were blocked.
    So now we are in the position that our only option is IVF/PGD anyway.
    We donít qualify for IVF on the NHS because partner has a child from a previous relationship, but we do qualify for 3 rounds of PGD at Guys.
    There are factors in our favour (I am 30 partner is 36, no issues with his sperm following chemo, HyCoSy showed I was ovulating) but itís so hard to be positive sometimes. I never imagined that we would be in this position. We hadnít even been trying to conceive for very long before we found out about the PGD and my blocked tubes so Iím still trying to come to terms with it all. It feels like I am grieving, sometimes I get so angry, other times I canít stop crying, god knows what I will be like when the hormone injections start!!!
    We are waiting for the sample kits to be sent out and then after Guys receives them itís estimated 4-6 month wait before we visit the ACU to start everything. The bits Iím most worried about are the waiting for the results of the embryo testing (in our case 3-6 month wait as they donít have the test already set up).... and obviously the possibility it wonít be successful. It helps to read other peopleís success stories with PGD at Guys, knowing that despite the slightly depressing odds there is still hope.
    Anyway sorry for the long first post rant! I hope everyone else here on this journey is doing well x

Offline MeganBanting

• Un-Ranked
    modify
    « Reply #134 on: 5/06/18, 14:09 »
    Well, I was going to post sooner but just couldn't bear it until now. After going great guns and getting 21 eggs of which 13 fertilised, we had the call last week to say that only 2 of our embryos grew to day 5 and were suitable for freezing. They still need to be tested. I'm absolutely gutted, can't stop crying etc. I know I need to be positive, but I'm feeling so cr*p after my stims and collection (I developed mild Ohss which is unpleasant and still giving me a bit of 'gyp') that this was just another thing on the list! DH reminded me there's a 50% chance they'll be fine, but that feels rather slim at the moment! I'm sure I'll come out of my flump soon, and while we're waiting for 3 months for our test results we've booked some lovely holidays and things to keep ourselves busy and positive.

Welcome thirteenfortyfive - we're at Guy's, and it sounds like we've got the same thing as you with the 3-6 month wait for making a new test. We've just gone through egg collection, so we're a bit further along, and can't fault how good they've been at keeping us informed etc.

SummerSun1 - hope your stims are going/have gone well.

Take care all X

Offline MrsBee87

modify
    « Reply #135 on: 5/06/18, 19:49 »
    Hi everyone,

I need to read back through the thread to catch up but just wanted to say hi 👋🏻 first.

We are also at Guys and have to wait 3-6 months for the test (although someone who recently was waiting only ended up waiting 2 months!).

I start injecting Friday providing my scan and blood tests are okay on Friday. Iíve been really positive about it all but now the reality that it could all be cancelled on Friday if my hormones arenít right is scary!!

Offline SummerSun1

modify
    « Reply #136 on: 6/06/18, 11:16 »
    MeganBanting - really sorry to hear that, that must have been absolutely gutting for you and so unexpected.  Do you have a follow up appointment to find out if there is a reason for the high drop off rate between fertilisation and day 5?  Although I totally get that you might want to try to forget this for a while, sounds like you have lots of nice stuff planned for the next few months so I'm sure time will go faster than you expect.  Your DH sounds like mine, always trying to say something positive.  Which is good most of the time, but sometimes I just want him to admit that the whole thing is just poop!

I'm still stimming, my body is obviously a bit slow off the mark!  Looking OK today though so hopefully triggering tonight or tomorrow.  I threw a total strop at my clinic the other day when things weren't going to plan and they suggested either cancelling or doing a freeze all to fit in with lab timings.  Hormones and unexpected/disappointing news do not go together well!  Seems to be sorted now though so fingers crossed.

Thirteenfortyfive  - sounds like you have already been through a lot with your partner.  It took me a long time to come to terms with this too and at first the idea of doing PGD seemed so immense and scary.  I would say though that so far it has been much better (or at least less bad) than I expected from a physical point of view.  Emotionally I'm all over the place but that's another story  ;D 

MrsBee - welcome, hope it goes well at your scan on Friday!

Offline SummerSun1

modify
    « Reply #137 on: 6/06/18, 11:19 »
    Just realised we are not allowed to swear on this forum??  I did not write "poop" I wrote something worse that is obviously not allowed - sure you all know what I meant  ;D ;D

Offline littlebear6

• Un-Ranked
    modify
    « Reply #138 on: 7/06/18, 21:57 »
    Oh MeganBanting that must be so disappointing for you. This whole process really is ďpoopĒ in so many ways. I do hope you can enjoy your holidays while youíre waiting for results and that you get good results when they do finally come.

I should be getting the results from mine some time next week. Please all keep your fingers crossed for me.

Offline LauraC81

modify
    « Reply #139 on: 9/06/18, 07:58 »
    Hi All!  Been a while since I was on here as we were waiting for things to get moving again after a freeze all and since then Iíve just had no time to myself what with project managing a major build at home and starting a new job!  Anyway, Iíve not gone back more than a couple of pages so apologies to those Iíve missed/if Iíve missed crucial parts of the convo but here goes!

Littlebear6:  Hi!  Great news about 5 possible frosties, have they frozen before getting the biopsy results?  Have you heard yet?  My biopsy results only took 48 hours but clearly reading everyone elseís experience I am very lucky!  Fingers crossed for your results!

MeganBanting: Hi!  What an awful shock for you to only end up at 2 for testing, I can fully sympathise as we only got 3 eggs on our first collection and the shock and upset was awful.  Our consultant was really unsympathetic too and just told me I had an egg problem (I didnít even know I had any problems until then we are on this journey because of a rare condition my DH has) so I can completely empathise.  If you want to DM me I have some tips for getting good egg quality, we went on to get 8 eggs from our second collection.  Of all 11 eggs 9 ended up being frozen and from there we have finally ended up with 4 that donít have DHs gene and are good quality so it shows it can be done even with low numbers!

SMA1-Mum:  Also a hi to you and a great big congrats on being PUPO!   

SummerSun1:  Hi!  Have you triggered?  Did EC go ok?  Hope youíre doing well and if you have collected hope you got a good number.
    Hopeful_10:  Hello again  have you had your results back yet?  I wouldnít personally start while on holiday but thatís just because my first egg collection didnít go well and we were away during part of that and I just wondered if it affected it (most likely not but you never know!)

Sparkle789:  Hello again  how are you?

Thirteenfourtyfive:  Hi and welcome!  Sorry to hear about your news, it really is so disheartening to find out that you have limited options and ones you have little control over and the waiting is the worst Ė there is no making that feel better just plan lots of nice things to happen over the next 6 months so that you have mini milestones to getting there and itís a little easier.  To be honest the long wait isnít as bad as to when you get within days/hours of things and then (if youíre like me) you get super impatient! :D good luck with your journey, try and stay positive but I know itís hard!

MrsBee87:  Hi!  Good luck for getting started!  Hope it all went well yesterday for you.

AFM:  Quick recap...first egg collection September 2017, 3 eggs told by doc Ďyou have an egg problemí (no further explanation or advice offered) all 3 eggs fertilised and were frozen.  Second egg collection March, 8 eggs collected (different, much nicer, consultant), 6 fertilised and were frozen.  All eggs were defrosted on Tuesday and 8 of the 9 survived the thaw.  From there 7 of the 8 were suitable for testing (although one was looking a little slow) and, after a day of clock watching we found out at 430pm yesterday that 4 donít have the syndrome!!  So today is transfer day and I will finally, after lots of waiting (I would say patient but Iíve not been the least bit patient!) I will be PUPO.  We find out when we get to hospital this morning what quality they are but I was told by the nurse yesterday that the embryologist seemed happy so thatís great.  Keeping everything crossed now!!