* Author Topic: TTC with PGD/PGS - Part 4  (Read 24178 times)

0 Members

Offline MrsBee87

modify
TTC with PGD/PGS - Part 4
« Reply #140 on: 9/06/18, 13:45 »
Hi everyone,

MeghanBanting I’m sorry to hear only two embryos made it. Try and keep positive as much as you can! It’s not over until you’re out of embryos!

I started stomping yesterday. I was very surprised how easy I found the Gonal F injection to do! I’m on GF and introducing cetrotide on Wednesday. I’m really worried about bloating and weight gain. Any advice?

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline MeganBanting

• Un-Ranked
    modify
    « Reply #141 on: 9/06/18, 13:51 »
    Hi everyone,

Thank you so much for your support. I'm feeling a little more positive this weekend, I think it was just the shock of it at the time.

MrsBee87 - That's the exact same protocol I was on. I found the Gonal-f injections fine too, and didn't start bloating until I started the cetrotide. I wouldn't worry too much about the bloating and weight gain. 2 weeks after EC I'm able to fit in all of my clothes again, and I've only gained a couple of pounds. Most of the weight gain is the fluid in the follicles. As long as you don't eat everything in sight (I found I was really hungry all of the time!) you should be fine  :) good luck!

X

Offline MrsBee87

modify
    « Reply #142 on: 10/06/18, 00:08 »
    Thank you for the reassurance MeganBanting! I’m dreading the cetrotide! I gain weight so quickly it’s good to know it won’t stick around! I’m trying to just eat as I normally would as my nurse said if people say they gain weight it’s becaise they’ve eaten more.

I’ve got a random question. I had my scan on CD2 Friday before starting Gonal F and we counted 14 follicles. Does that mean that’s the max number of eggs I will get on this cycle if I’m lucky? Or can you develop more follicles?

I’m only on a dose of 150 on the Gonal F which seems low!

Offline suffolkgirl

modify
    « Reply #143 on: 10/06/18, 08:44 »
    Wow, great to see so many new people on this board! Hi everyone  ^wave^ I joined 4 years ago and found it so supportive to have people going through the same thing.

Have been catching up on everyone's stories but on my phone so can't do personals. Wishing everyone the best luck!

I've come to the end of my pgd journey now but hopefully can offer some support and experience.

Brief history is pgd for condition with 50% chance of passing on. Egg collection in 2014, 14 collected, 13 fertilised, 11 tested, 5 clear of condition. One embryo transferred which is now out little boy who is 3 1/2. 4 frozen embryos. Frozen transfer #1 in 2016 resulted in mmc at 9 weeks :( FET #2 in 2017 worked and delighted to say our little baby girl arrived 2 weeks ago!

I know we've been incredibly fortunate to have 2 healthy children from one egg collection, it's not always that easy but I hope it gives those starting out hope that it can work x x

Offline miamiamo

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #144 on: 10/06/18, 18:04 »
    suffolkgirl - amazing news, massive congrats!

Offline SummerSun1

modify
    « Reply #145 on: 10/06/18, 19:54 »
    Hi all!

LauraC - amazing news!  Hope the ET went well and you're resting up.

I had my egg collection, it actually went really well and totally to plan.  Not often I get to say that about a hospital appointment  :)  11 mature eggs, 10 fertilised so now just in the awful wait to see if any make it to testing.  Feeling better than expected after the EC as well and just having a glass of wine for the first time in ages!

MrsBee - I ended up with the same number follicles at EC day as at the baseline, but got 2 less eggs.  I did a lot of googling on this at the time though and I think it is possible for the number to go up a bit as the drugs kick in.  As for weight gain and bloating, I managed to keep exercising  until a couple of days before EC so that definitely helped.  I also ate everything in sight though which kind of cancelled out the exercise....Still a bit bloated today but hoping it shrinks a bit overnight so I can get back into my work clothes tomorrow.

Hope everyone else is well and having a nice weekend!

Offline Hopeful_10

modify
    « Reply #146 on: 10/06/18, 20:45 »
    Hello everyone,

Thirteenfortyfive - Welcome! Sounds like you were destined to go along the IVF/PGD reason for a few reasons. Sorry to hear that you are having such a difficult time coming to terms with your situation. It is a lot to get your head around. Be kind to yourself and give yourself time. You'll certainly have some time as there does appear to be a fair amount of waiting in this process! Your reaction sounds completely normal. This is certainly a good place to rant, ask questions and seek support as needed.

MeganBanting - It must have been so difficult finding out about how many embryos were available for testing after such a good number of eggs and initial fertilization rate. Hope you're now feeling a bit better after the egg collection. Hope your holiday and nice plans are helping to stave off the flump. Sounds like I might need to invest in some clothes with some extra room to accommodate some bloating.

MrsBee87 - Hope your injections are going ok. It's good to hear this is easier than you were expecting. I can completely understand you being nervous now it is all go.

SummerSun1 - It's reassuring to hear that it's been better than you expected from a physical point of view. At times this process really is poop! My hubby is also tends to be a lot more positive than me and not find it as poop! Well done on your egg collection. Enjoy that glass of wine - you deserve it.

LittleBear6 - Wishing you the best of luck with your long awaited upcoming results.

LauraC81 - Sounds like you've been busy! SO glad to hear you've got 4 testing as not having the syndrome. I hope that your transfer went well.

Suffolkgirl - I'm delighted to hear of your two PGD miracle babies. It makes me really emotional to hear about this. I do find it incredible. I just hope we can have our own miracle. Nice of you to drop in and offer support to the rest of us.

miamiamo - Hello and hope you're doing ok.

As for me - Our target date for our test being made was 6/6 but we're still waiting. we were told it was waiting for final approval but should be completed imminently. We booked a holiday and leave on Saturday so I guess we'll be doing this before we plan our treatment. Going to make the most of the break.

Offline Sparkle789

modify
    « Reply #147 on: 12/06/18, 19:38 »
    Hello ladies, sorry for the delay in responding, ive been soo tired lately I dont know how the time just fets aeay from me. Plus i really dont like the way this site shows up on my phone and it keeps logging me out so its really annoying and faffy to post!

Oh Megan I’m so sorry you didn’t have better news with your embryos, can’t imagine how hard rhat must have been to hear and also to deal with after having such a positive first result. Have the clinic said why the drop off rate was so high? How many cycles do you get funded? If this one doesnt work will you be able to try again? Hopefully they would adjust things so that you had more embryos that develop better. Having said that, your hubby is right and there is a 50% chance you could still have one (or two!) to transfer. I know it sounds unlikely but im speaking from experience. Our condition is 25% so essentially one in four embryos would have been affected but it turns out we were very lucky and didnt have a single embryo affected with the condition. We did have chromosome abnormality which meant that one  embryo was unuseable, but for the condition we were testing for the others all came back as carriers (bar one which was unaffected but ended as an unsuccessful FET). Try to be positive and keep your mind off it for the moment and focus on all the other things you have planned. 3 months seems like a long wait though I must admit!

In fact, does anyone know how it is worked out where you will have treatment on the NHS? I have read a lot about the waits taking forever at Guys and have wondered why that is and why people get referred there. I am at CRGH and my nhs cycle was there - it took about 6 weeks for them to get the test ready and then we could go as soon as i had all the preliminary tests like bloods, 3D SIS etc. Our PGD results for embryos then only took 2 weeks to come back once sent off for testing, so i wonder why it takes so much longer at Guys.

Thirteenfortyfive - welcome! Does anyone call you 1345 for short? ;) lol
    I am sorry you are having such a difficult time with accepting the fact that you will be going through PGD and that your journey to parenthood will be very different to what you had imagined. I know exactly how you feel, and do you know I had started writing a reply to you last week when I first read your msg with my story and how my mindset changed but it sort of got left and ive realised it has become very long now so maybe I will PM you if i finish it! But what i will say is that once you accept that PGD is the best and preferred way forward for you it is much easier to embrace. And once you have experienced the possible alternative outcome, which I wouldn’t wish upon the worst people in the world, you become so so SO grateful and thankful that another option exists. I have a 14 month old daughter who is a result of PGD and she completely and utterly lights up my world. I can’t bear to think about how much heartache I might have had to go through to have her if PGD didn’t exist, and if she would even be here ar all. I go to the cemetery every year to visit my angel, and what hit me most when we were debating the PGD route is when my husband said to me “its hard enough visiting one grave, commemorating anniversaries for one child, the thought of having to visit two graves, remembering multiple anniversaries, i dont know how we would cope with that.”
    I think a lot of it is to do with our assumptions about IVF before we actually learn about the process and understand it fully. Up until then its just something that happens to other people, its an extremely difficult traumatic process that you go through if you cant conceive naturally, its really unlikely to work, and oh - the hormones - the crazy hormones! The medication is sure to make your hormones go into overdrive and you’ll turn into some crazy mental horror of a woman. Its a “last resort”. And all these rumours and heresays are what pop into our minds when suddenly we are faced with the prospect that we will have to go througu this process and then we think “oh my god how can i do this? Why cant i be like everyone else and just get pregnant in the “normal” way?” But hang on? Where has all this information come from? I saw a counsellor for one session after i met her through the support group after my tfmr and she had questioned me when i met if i had considered IVF. When i went to see her and talked through all my beliefs about IVF, she challenged me on every single one and I realised I had just built up this assumption based on heresay. I said ita not likely to work. And she said what makes you say that? You dont have a history of infertility, that isnt your reason for doing IVF. And I said Oh the hormones! Ill go crazy! And she said, you most likely wont. And if you do then what? How long? Two weeks? Two weeks. How long is two weeks? Its nothing! I said, oh buty cycles are regular, I dont know about putting all those drugs in my system when im functioning “ok” it will mess my body up. She said What will another TFMR do to your body? And not only your body, what about your mental health? Anyway you get the idea. It really made me see things differently and ultimately I realised one thing that completely changed my perspectice. Who decides what is “normal” for you, or for me? One persons ”normal” could be another persons “never gonna do that.” And this is when I finally accepted that this was the best route for me. I realised that whilst IVF is so many people’s last resort, for me its my first resort. My last - so SO very last resort - is rolling the dice again and having to go through 12 weeks of what can only be described as torture,  physically feeling like poop, trying my hardest - and failing - to fight  any natural maternal instinct to get attached to the growing life inside me, only to be faced after all that with another TFMR. I would taKe IVF over that so many times (if i could afford it!). I didn’t choose to be born with a genetic condition, but that is my reality. I DID choose IVF/PGD over getting pregnant naturally. Its what is best for me given my reality. I can appreciate it is not best for someone else who doesn’t risk passing on a life threatening illness and has no fertility problems, but their reality is different to mine. I dont know if it can help you (and anyone else reading that might be struggling with this) to think of it in that way, but it has helped me. Dont get me wrong i still have days where i curse the fact that I can NEVER have even one night of careless drunk sex and the worst that can happen is oops i’m pregnant (obv doesnt have to be drunk sex, just any sex that doesnt involve thinking about contraception!). After my daughter was born the midwives kept banging on about making sure I talk to the gp about contraception because “you are very fertile after birth bla blah blah” - i wanted to scream and tell them i was 20 steps ahead of you mate! And i wish i didnt have to feel like that. But i try not to Dwell on those thoughts too much and focus on the positives and the possibility of a HEALTHY baby at the end of it all.

Gosh i’m sorry that turned out super long after all!!! I wont witter on too long anymore, i hope wveryone else is ok!

Summersun well done on EC great number of eggs for testing! I had a similar amount and have a few in the freezer now so fingers crossed for you xx

Little bear good luck for the teat results!!!

Laura hello and congrats on being PUPO! Nail biting time ahead! Have you got things planned to take your mind off it?

Hopeful - enjoy your holiday, i hope you manage to relax and not think about this all too much.

Mrs Bee - i think i had 12 follies at my antral follicle count scan and i got 11 eggs? Im not sure what they saw at baseline though. Hope u are getting on ok with the injections.

AFM - i need to get my ^Booty^ into gear and get my bloods so i can get the reaults back. Im due AF any day so ideally id need to have the results and they would have to be clear before i have a scratch otherwise it will get delayed by a month. Not sure when ill go im working all week until friday!

Offline Sparkle789

modify
    « Reply #148 on: 12/06/18, 19:44 »
    Sorry for all the typos! And i also didnt write “poop”! Or insert a shaking bum emoji!!!

Offline SummerSun1

modify
    « Reply #149 on: 15/06/18, 13:05 »
    Hello!  How is everyone?  I have news - [deep breath], I had a blast transferred!!!! Yikes!  Wasn't even sure if I'd post this, really feel like I'm jinxing things but I know that is stupid.  My clinic tests at day 3 to allow fresh transfer but I didn't think they'd manage to fit it in with the lab schedule so was expecting a freeze all.  But somehow, miraculously, it went to plan.  Out of my 10 fertilised eggs, they managed to test 7 and found 1 which is ok, which is actually pretty amazing for a translocation.  So nothing to freeze but realistically, I didn't expect anything.  I'm still a bit in shock tbh.  Already starting to go crazy in the TWW, not sure how I'll cope for another 12 days!

How is everyone else?  MRsBee - hope the stims are going well, have you got a date for ER?

LauraC - how are you getting on in the TWW? 

Hopeful - hope you have a brilliant holiday and your test is all ready to get started when you get back.

LittleBear - fingers crossed for your results, the waiting is so stressful.

Sparkle - totally agree with everything you wrote. I had miscarriages and TFMR before, and I got to the point where I just couldn't face going through that again.  Of course there are no guarantees, but for me PGD just reduces the loss from an "almost-certainty" to a "possible" and that means everything. That said, I honestly don't know how I will deal with things if I do actually get pregnant - even the thought of the scan room at the hospital makes me feel physically sick because I've had so much bad news there.

Aargh, this whole thing is so difficult.  We are all amazing and strong to be dealing with it!

Hope every has a great weekend xx