* Author Topic: TTC with PGD/PGS - Part 4  (Read 24170 times)

0 Members

Offline jodes89

• Un-Ranked
modify
TTC with PGD/PGS - Part 4
« Reply #80 on: 8/05/18, 16:54 »
hi megan

i am undergoing PGD for a heart condition myself with 50% risk. i got 16 eggs, 1 immature, 14 fertilised and then 8 survived til day 5 and it turned out 4 are healthy. it took about 2 weeks to get the genetic results but normally takes 3. i would have been able to crack on with implantation attempt with my next period however because of my heart condition i am now having repeat MRI scans and echos to make sure nothings changes and ive also had to have an appointment with an antenatal obstetrician with cardiac interest about my meds which has delayed things. so collection was in April and looking at implantation in July. an annoying delay but a sensible one we felt (unlikely to be any changes just decided safe to make sure due to high risks of pregnancy)

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline MeganBanting

• Un-Ranked
    modify
    « Reply #81 on: 8/05/18, 17:00 »
    Hi Jodes89,

Wow, 2 or 3 weeks is much quicker than I imagined! That's great!
    In a way we were lucky to have our delay at the start, as it gave us time to have all our high risk pregnancy appointments and investigations before hand. I was taking some meds that I've had to come off slowly and replace with other things, so in a way I'm pleased I won't have that delay at this end. Yes, a very sensible delay on your part - you can never be too careful. 4 is a great number of unaffected to have! Hopefully you'll get the all clear from the cardiac people soon :) x

Offline SMA1-Mum

modify
    « Reply #82 on: 10/05/18, 09:54 »
    Hi Everyone,

Hope it's OK to join you all here - both my husband and I are carriers for SMA Type 1. We found this out after our daughter was diagnosed in 2016.

We got referred to Guy's after she passed away for PGD - the process was slow but has gone exactly to the timetable they put in their website.

We are going back in for a scan next week to check for lining thickness. I'm desperately hoping that we don't have to go back for a repeat scan like we did for egg collection. We live in Crewe so it's a long way to go!

Has anyone any experience of transfer and what to expect?

Offline Hopeful_10

modify
    « Reply #83 on: 10/05/18, 15:53 »
    Lovely to have new members joining! Welcome all.

MeganBanting - I agree that this process is daunting. It's lovely to hear that your cardiac consultant is so caring and involved. It's good that you've had a chance to get off some of your medications ahead of treatment. Did you start your treatment today? Hope it's gone well.

Jodes89 - so pleased to hear about your healthy embryos. Hopefully you'll be able to move onto putting one back soon. Best to get your physical health checks done first to make sure you're in the best health ready for pregnancy.

SMA1-Mum - I'm so sorry to hear about your daughters diagnosis and passing. That must have been so difficult and you must be very strong to have got through it. I hope you're lining is growing nice and thick ready for transfer. No experience of transfer as we're just at the start of the process.

Offline MeganBanting

• Un-Ranked
    modify
    « Reply #84 on: 10/05/18, 19:27 »
    Well, first Gonal-f injection done. Was nowhere near as bad actually doing it as I thought it would be! Now for a cosy evening in front of the telly with a very large cup of tea and a few biscuits!

SMA1-Mum - so sorry to hear about your daughter, I can't begin to imagine how awful that must be.
    I thought I had it bad traipsing up from East Kent, but Crewe is a real trek. I'm sure they'll try to keep your visits to a minimum. Hopefully your lining will be nice and thick at your scan  :)

X

Offline littlebear6

• Un-Ranked
    modify
    « Reply #85 on: 10/05/18, 20:35 »
    Ooh Iím so happy I found this forum and a bit annoyed I didnít find it earlier! Itís so nice to find other people going through PGD as itís so rare. And other than a few close family members no one knows what we are up to so it will be nice to have people to chat to through this process.

So my status is that I have Marfan syndrome with 50% chance of passing on. I have conceived naturally 3 times #1 terminated following positive diagnosis (I had CVS testing), #2 resulted in my unaffected baby boy who turns 2 next week, #3 also terminated. And then after 10 months trying again naturally we decided to embark on PGD as couldnít really face another termination. Have gone with ARGC and Iím now on day 3 of stimulation hormones. Is anyone else on here at the same clinic?

Offline Hopeful_10

modify
    « Reply #86 on: 10/05/18, 21:59 »
    MeganBanting - well done on doing your first injection. You certainly deserved a cuppa and a few good biscuits.

Welcome LittleBear6! I share your enthusiasm for contact with others going through PGD. Like you, we've only told close family and best friends about the PGD. I think it's hard for other people to understand and fully appreciate. We're having our treatment at Care Nottingham. We've never tried to get pregnant naturally as was not sure I could cope with having to terminate an affected baby. That must be so hard. Amazing that you have one little boy already though. I'll bet he's keeping you busy at that age. Hope you're finding Stims ok.

Offline SummerSun1

modify
    « Reply #87 on: 11/05/18, 09:05 »
    Hi Everyone

Can I join too? It's so great to see other people going through the same process - I haven't told anyone that I've started IVF, I can't face their enthusiasm.  Noone seems to understand how unlikely it is to work for me....

I have a reciprocal translocation, which I found out after 2 MCs and a TFMR.  I got pregnant easily those 3 times but can't face going through that again so we're doing PGD.  I just had a prostap injection this week to down reg and am booked in to start sims in 2 weeks time. 

I've got totally mixed feelings about this - I've been told that 80% of my eggs will be affected so the chances of actually getting a healthy embryo seem so tiny, and that's before I get to thinking about transfer - I also have a chronically thin lining (not helped by 3 lots of surgery).  But I'm just glad to finally get started after being on the waiting list for over a year.

Hope everyone is doing well  :)

Offline -Susan-

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #88 on: 13/05/18, 04:58 »
    Aw it's so nice seeing so many new people! Welcome summer sun, little bear, sma1 mum, nai87, jodes :) Funny how it's quiet with the older members but busy with newbies!

Summersunn, wow, 80%?? I didn't realise there was chromosome issues with that high a chance. I'm so sorry for your previous affected pregnancies. Many of us here have had miscarriages and know how painful it is, emotionaly as well as physically, myself included. Wishing you all the best for treatment. It is hard emotionally especially given its such a lottery but plenty people have success. X

Little bear, ah I've taught a child in the past with Marfans so know a bit about it. I don't think anyone here currently is at ARGC, unless someone new is, but there was a lady who did previously called Keeping Busy. It has a very good reputation generally, many think the best in the country. Are you a private patient? If so, if you don't mind me asking, how much is it? I might move clinics for my final go and I want to give myself the best chance I can so would consider there (although I'm in Edinburgh so it would be a big trek!!)

Sma1mum, I am so sorry your daughter passed. I just can't imagine how painful that must be :( life is incredibly cruel. I so hope you get your rainbow baby. Do you have any specific questions about transfer? Been through 4 myself now!! It's absolutely fine in my experience - you go to theatre, legs in stirrups (nothing about this process is dignified!!) they use that weird thing that stretches you so they can access the cervix. They then insert a thin tube through your cervix and scoosh the embryo through once they've set it up so it goes to the right place. You're scanned as they do it so you can see the embryo go in - my clinic give a picture as you can see a little white bit it that's the embryo in the fluid they transfer it with. Doesn't take long, shouldn't be sore, and they will tell you a little about the embryo if you want eg quality, stage of growth.

Jodes, wow, 4!!! Have they given you gradings? :)

Hi Nai, if your partner has azoospermia that will be why you didn't conceive naturally. Could easily be absolutely nothing is wrong with your fertility. Sorry to hear about your diagnosis. There have been I think two others who have been in here with it, both had a baby. Is your partner having sperm surgically retrieved?

Hello Hopeful, and anyone else I've missed (apologies if so) xx

Offline littlebear6

• Un-Ranked
    modify
    « Reply #89 on: 13/05/18, 08:48 »
    Yes Susan we have had to go private as NHS will only fund if you donít already have an unaffected child. ARGC is very expensive but amazingly my husband has this incredible insurance benefit through his work which will cover it. Iím not sure exactly what the total cost is going to be but I reckon it could be pushing £15k (eek! - really hope it works first time because I think we will hit the maximum that the insurance will pay so we would have to fund it ourselves if we had to do another round!)

So far very impressed with ARGC. They donít waste any time on being nice and compassionate (!) so if you want a clinic that will spend lots of time talking through things with you then itís probably not for you. But itís very efficient and they seem to know what theyíre doing and the slightly abrupt approach suits me pretty well to be honest as Iíd rather just be told what to do and get things done quickly.

Before we fell pregnant with my son we had a consultation at Guyís (NHS) and were massively put off by how long the process would take - they reckoned from initial consultation to starting treatment would be at least a year. We had our initial consultation at ARGC in January and weíve started treatment in May which has taken us a little bit by surprise but very pleased with how little hanging around there has been. Took them only 4 weeks to build the genetic probe (think Guyís estimated 3-6 months for that part?)

So yes I am happy with ARGC but the proof will be in whether it works or not so Iíll keep you posted!