* Author Topic: Do people still keep trying at 46!  (Read 3845 times)

0 Members

Offline Mrs. Munchkin

modify
Do people still keep trying at 46!
« Reply #10 on: 21/04/18, 13:19 »
Thanks so much ladies for all of your advice Iím contacting clinics at the moment and got bloods done amh is 3.59 and progesterone 14.80 but not sure what it all means waiting on day 3 bloods .
Wishing you all the very best on your journeys x

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline Mrs. Munchkin

modify
    « Reply #11 on: 4/05/18, 23:29 »
    Thank you ladies for all the replies xx good luck in your journeys

Offline Syd72

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #12 on: 9/05/18, 07:40 »
    Just to add my two pennith.  We started trying when I was 43, I had good amh for age, very regular cycle and seemed to be ovulating every month - day 21 bloods were very high showing ovulation and I got great blazing positive opks every month, tried temping a couple of months and that also confirmed ovulation.  In the last 20-odd months I've had 4 natural pregnancies, all of which ended in miscarriage, my most recent pregnancy (before my current one) was last August when I was 45 1/2.  We did one oe IVF approx 18 months ago which failed and then went on to donor eggs, currently 11 weeks pregnant from second donor egg treatment. 

You absolutely can get pregnant from own eggs in your mid-40s, someone on another forum I'm on fell pregnant quite quickly aged 47 having just gotten married, she went on to have a trouble-free pregnancy and a healthy baby.  However, that's the exception, not the norm. 

If you still feel strongly about using own eggs you should definitely try, moving to donor is a big decision and you need to be ready for it.  If you do decide to go that route, the odds of success are much higher.  I can honestly say I don't think I would feel any different about my current pregnancy if it were my own egg.  And whilst I'm still worrying about miscarriage etc, I'm currently waiting for my harmony-type test results to come back and I feel very relaxed about them, far more so than I would do if this was an own egg pregnancy because the risks are so much lower.

Whatever route you take, very best of luck.

Offline rainbows44

• Un-Ranked
    modify
    « Reply #13 on: 5/12/18, 00:35 »
    SUNSHINE 02468:  Hello, I, too, want to use my own eggs and not donor eggs.  And I am 44, to be 45 in March, going for first round in January.

Now your post is from April -- have you been trying IVF cycles since then? How have you gone? What has happened? Yes there are new treatments available now too, to help with own eggs in older ovaries.

Offline miamiamo

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #14 on: 9/12/18, 12:09 »
    rainbows44 - I do not know whether or not it is a new procedure, but I have heard about mesotherapy treatment to improve ovarian reserve.

Offline Mochashosh

modify
    « Reply #15 on: 11/12/18, 15:30 »
    One of my friends had her daughter naturally at 48.  Another had DE twins at 50.  It's definitely possible.

The questions fro you are a) if you want to consider the possibility of DE (you can certainly try with your own if you can find a clinic to help you but sadly the odds are against you), b) do you want to have a baby at an older age with everything that brings?  My older friends would definitely not be without their children, but it can be a hard row to hoe.

I'm 45 and have had 4 goes of ICSI with my own eggs.  My clinic has now basically told me that they're not happy for me to continue with my own eggs.  At the moment i can't accept the idea of a donor; I don't see how I could possibly love a child that's not mine (sorry if that offends anyone, but that's how I feel).  There are lots of options for you, but only you and your other half can decide which ones are right for you.

Offline rainbows44

• Un-Ranked
    modify
    « Reply #16 on: 21/02/19, 03:13 »
    hello don't give up on your own eggs. Give it a good try

I am 45 in March and I'm trying with my own eggs right now.

If I haven't achieved it I will keep on going into 46.

It's a numbers game. Sure you have more poor quality eggs but you can still produce a good egg if you are menstruating regularly and producing eggs.

You only need 1 good one. You might have to go through 10 cycles of ICSI to get it but give it a try first - if you don't try you'll never know. The downside is it is expensive. Do you have enough money to cover it? For me, it's worth it.

In my humble opinion, I view donor egg as the same as adoption only you carry the baby and go through the pregnancy yourself. Many people here love donor eggs, and that's great, more power to them.

But really, if it doesn't work with your own eggs, maybe you could try adoption and save a lot of money?

Try your own eggs first, it depends also what country you are in, what the rules are there, and if you have access to any of the new experimental treatments such as Platelet Rich Plasma injections to your ovaries, or stem cell injections. If you try a few times and fail you could try that, then give it another go.

Offline rainbows44

• Un-Ranked
    modify
    « Reply #17 on: 5/03/19, 04:15 »
    Hello Miamiamo -- just saw your post about "mesotherapy to improve ovarian reserve" -- first I've heard of that one so I'm not sure what it involves.

I read a lot to try to get my head around the science so i can make informed choices - but from what I've read so far, nothing can improve ovarian reserve, not even stem cells.

on the other hand, you often have more eggs than you think

they only need 1 good egg. It's a numbers game -- they need to keep stimulating and collecting and as long as you haven't gone through menopause and are having regular periods, then you should have some eggs in there.

They might be poorer quality eggs due to age, but you can improve egg quality with things like : good health, good diet, antioxidants, moderate excercise, no smoking, no sugar/alcohol, promensil is said to help as is coQ10 -- whether these help a lot or a little I am not sure.

My fertility doctor says phytoestrogens help so I take promensil 40 every day

You can improve your ovarian health with Platelet Rich Plasma therapy which is said to improve the ovaries' capacity to produce hormones (but will not produce new oocytes)

The big unmentioned is endometrial receptivity: the narrow 1-day window where the blastocyst can hook onto the pinopod on the surface of the uterus.  They don't understand it well, they can't control it well and they can't test for it easily, so they never mention it

But it's the reason for a lot of otherwise healthy blastocysts getting expelled.

Offline miamiamo

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #18 on: 10/03/19, 14:35 »
    So, everything is possible but heavilly depends on one' luck... and genes...
    and lifestyle

Offline Efi78

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #19 on: 11/03/19, 20:30 »
    Hi

In my opinion it is possible to conceive at 45 with OE but it is more likely with natural conception rather than IVF. The high dosages of drugs used at this age can severely impact quality, plus the rate of success is the same as natural conception.

Personally I would try with OE until 43. after this age i would do 1-2 cycles with OE but then move to DE.