* Author Topic: Should I go again at 44?  (Read 2172 times)

0 Members

Offline Besidetheseaside

modify
Should I go again at 44?
« Reply #10 on: 29/04/18, 23:32 »
Aurora- my boss has got 2 kids. For the first child they had 3 rounds of IVF at the age of 41 and for the second child 8 IVF at the age of 43 to 44 :)
I guess it's possible it's just a matter of money, stamina, mental and physical health.
Good luck x

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline AuroraAngel

modify
    Should I go again at 44?
    « Reply #11 on: 30/04/18, 00:02 »
    Hopefulkayte, thanks so much for your open and honest reply. It sounds like you have an amazing approach to it and I really hope it works out for you. What you say makes total sense. I guess as I hadn't really been thinking about DE it's something I need to just fully process and think through.

Deblovescats, thanks, I hadn't looked into it yet, so need to find out waiting times etc if I do decide I want to follow that route. I think having both your children from the same donor really makes a difference, but actually, the more I'm thinking about it now, really it shouldn't matter, as Kayte says, it's about the love the family has.

Besidetheseaside, thanks for that example. Wow, that's a lot for their 2nd child. I know that I couldn't emotionally and financially do that so guess I have to figure out what SO could do or consider the alternatives.

Thanks again to you all x

Offline nednoodle

• Un-Ranked
    modify
    Should I go again at 44?
    « Reply #12 on: 3/05/18, 14:51 »
    Auroraangel, I know what you mean about being worried about using donor eggs after having a biological child.  Initially I was very reticent about it and almost wouldn't consider it.  Then I did a lot of reading around the subject (the Donor Conception Network has some really helpful resources including using DE after OE).  We also attended the Manchester Fertility show in Manchester and went to lots of talks there and spoke to lots of people on the stands, almost all of who said that at 44 (I had only turned 44 the week before which was a bit gutting!), that I should go straight to donor eggs. The Donor Conception Network had a stand and were very helpful.  After the show,  I finally felt happy with the thought of using DE and quite excited about the prospect of having IVF with good odds of success.  Then two days later we had our follow up appointment at Manchester fertility where I got my AMH result.  I am very lucky that my AMH is good for my age so using my OE was back on the agenda.  We decided to give it a go but are going to do PGS too to hopefully reduce my chance of miscarriage. I feel much happier about the still low chance of success with my OE, now I know that we do have a plan b that has a good chance of success.  The thing that decided it for me is how badly my daughter wants a sibling.  If we end up using DEs and are successful with that, I think I will be so overjoyed that I won't care that the child wouldn't have much of my DNA (apparently even with DE, the embryo does still pick up some of your DNA as it grows).  I would also be so grateful to that self-less woman who went through the gruelling process of egg donation to help me complete my family.  So we are hopeful that one of our options will work. Good luck to you whatever you decide. 

Offline AuroraAngel

modify
    Should I go again at 44?
    « Reply #13 on: 12/05/18, 23:07 »
    Thanks Nednoodle and apologies for delay in replying, have had internet probs

That sounds like a bit of a rollercoaster! I'm in the NW too, would you recommend Manchester fertility? I'm considering treatment abroad as they seem better with age, but if there are ones nearby that are ok with it I might contact them.  I haven't contacted any other Uk clinics so far as my feeling from their websites and speaking to them last time (when I was 40) was they aren't very positive or helpful re age. However if they seem good it might be worth me contacting them.  We had just stuck with the NW clinic we had our son through, but I've become very disillusioned with their approach now.

Do you mind me asking what your AMH is.  e.g. what they consider good? Mine is low end of normal, not sure if they'd consider that good or not?

I am coming round to the idea of DE as a possibility, just want to weigh up all the options first and obviously if OE are a possibility without being too low chance it'd be preferable.

very best of luck to you, I really hope it works out x

Offline mierran

• Gold Member
    modify
    Should I go again at 44?
    « Reply #14 on: 13/05/18, 09:14 »
    Hi,
    I have 3 donor egg children from two different egg donors. I have just had a failed thaw with my last two frosties and am moving on to a third egg donor to complete my family.
    Re my current children they are siblings. I am open about treatment and my twins ( age 7 and 1/2) know that they are donor egg and that their little sister is from a different donor. It doesn't matter - she is their little sister.

The donor conception network do a leaflet about using de after oe.

Serum in Athens used to do a 2 cycle package for own eggs. They have pretty good success rates for oe in older women and , if you have a poor response to your first cycle you can put that money towards a donor egg cycle. I couldn't confirm if they still do it but if interested you could contact them. Being abroad it is anonymous donors which you have to be comfortable with. However my view is with all the home DNA testing etc  by the time our kids are adults they'll be able to find out a lot if they want to.

Good luck deciding.

Offline AuroraAngel

modify
    Should I go again at 44?
    « Reply #15 on: 27/05/18, 00:45 »
    Mierran,

Thanks for your reply and sorry for delay in replying - have had a difficult couple if weeks so not been online.

This us really helpful, thanks and congrats on your children. Sounds like you have a great approach to being open with them.

After a follow up appt at my clinic This week after my failed cycle, where they basically told me I have no chance with OE, I've been thinking about DE a lot more.

Do you mind me asking what clinics/s you used? Was it Serum?

Thanks
    Aurora