* Author Topic: Gennet cycle buddies part 16  (Read 62553 times)

0 Members

Offline sunnyCM

modify
Gennet cycle buddies part 16
« Reply #160 on: 19/06/18, 12:22 »
Thank you Andra, I really appreciate that. I thought it might be two periods, which is frustrating as you hear of pregnancies happening straight after mc for those conceiving naturally. I guess Iíll have have to wait anyway for a match x

Hi Kayte - like hle we too decided that blood type didnít need to match but by chance we got an embryo matching my husbandís anyway. We kind of figured that we donít know our parents blood type and I only knew mine as I donated blood before so the chances of our child finding out we were not genetically related were slim. I did worry about the new DNA 123 / ancestory tests that can be done now might become even more popular. I believe they give you an indication of illness/ diseases you are genetically predisposed to? But not sure that would indicate anything unless parents did them too. I know how you might feel though, the decision to tell a child about whether/how they came to be is yours, you donít want them finding out another way by accident x

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline Sunny-FL

modify
    « Reply #161 on: 19/06/18, 15:14 »
    So glad to see some of these updates, but also sorry to see some of the others.

Just wanted to quickly add that when I interviewed one of Gennet's embryologists for the blog, one of my questions was what the options were for embryos that couples no longer needed. I personally wanted to know because we still have 4 in storage. One of the options was to donate to other couples (after a series of testing). I don't see what's necessarily bad about that, as long as the couples/embryos are tested?

Regarding the add-ons, there currently is not much out there suggesting that embryoscope/gen etc. improve success rates. Some studies point to an increase in implantation rates with embryoglue, but without showing an increase in live birth rates. The main critique seems to be that it could make a "bad" embryo stick for a while longer (leading to a positive test but an eventual chemical pregnancy or miscarriage). I figure that if clinics truly believed there was an increase in success rates, they'd just add it to everyone's transfer. It's in their best interest too to boost success rates.

There have been many debates about the loss of anonymity that came with DNA/ancestry tests. Donors are no longer truly anonymous because their biological children are able to find family members (e.g. half-siblings, cousins, or even donors themselves) that registered. I wouldn't worry about blood types (except for the reasons Kayte mentioned) not matching in these modern times, let along 20-30 years from now.

Offline sunnyCM

modify
    « Reply #162 on: 19/06/18, 16:40 »
    Thanks Sunny-FL for all your helpful info as always. I think the issue I have with idea of Gennet using couplesí leftover embryos is if the couples used their own eggs/sperm and were under fertility treatment, it sort of indicates there are issues with egg/sperm potentially that other Donors may not have. I just think Iíd want to know if I am being offered a leftover embryo from couples undergoing treatment vs donor who has no known issues. I donít believe Gennet typically PGS test embryos but might be wrong.

Offline Sunny-FL

modify
    « Reply #163 on: 19/06/18, 17:40 »
    I hope they'd definitely disclose that! I'd also assume that donated embryos would be treated differently compared to "created-donation embryos" so to speak. I wonder if the recipient pays for it, for example. Given that we, as patients, already paid for our treatment to create these embryos in the first place.

Offline sunnyCM

modify
    « Reply #164 on: 19/06/18, 21:07 »
    Yes, Iíd wondered that too - Gennet is paid twice for same embryo if patients had paid to create the embryo as part of a fresh own/donor cycle then a patient paid to transfer the leftover donated embryo. Itís got to be why the frozen donated embryos are far less expensive than fresh...

Offline IceCat

modify
    « Reply #165 on: 20/06/18, 07:35 »
    Quick update from me: 5dp5dt and it's over. Woke up to bleeding today. Definitely not implantation because same thing happened to me last summer with my first donor cycle. I am so devastated I don't know what to say.

Offline sunnyCM

modify
    « Reply #166 on: 20/06/18, 08:17 »
    Icecat - Iím so sorry you think itís over, I really hope youíre wrong this time. Fingers crossed youíre bleeding for another reason, sending hugs in the meantime xx

Offline Bossy

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #167 on: 20/06/18, 09:45 »
    Icecat oh no, this can't be happening to you again!! Are you bleeding heavily?? On my last cycle I also woke up to bleeding around day8pt and was convinced AF arrived but turned out I was pregnant.. I'm praying for you!

Offline IceCat

modify
    « Reply #168 on: 20/06/18, 11:02 »
    SunnyCM, Bossy - thank you... Unfortunately it looks like AF and changed quickly from spotting to full flow red. I'm extremely devastated to get my period so early. Many people won't even yet test positive on 5dp5dt, but getting AF already probably means implantation definitely didn't happen. What's more frustrating that it were two AA 4 stage blasts from young proven donors so I had some hope it could work out. I don't really know what to do now, I feel like I'm just forced to give up our hopes of becoming parents...

Offline Tbfromlv

• Un-Ranked
    modify
    « Reply #169 on: 20/06/18, 13:26 »
    MrsM- we used ICSI because 1, it was included in the price and 2, I wasnít sure if my Endometriosis would have created a harder outer ďshelllĒ to my eggs (which I read it can and does sometimes!). We also chose embryoglue because Iíve had a lot of early losses which relate to implantation issues so I figured any extra love would be helpful! Embryogen is similar but used on day 3 transfers only. I wanted to do embryoscope and put it in my consent forms but I didnít get that lol but I still got a daily report which was nice. I would have done assisted hatching if the embryologist thought a good idea but by day 5, my embryos were doing very well. Good luck!!