* Author Topic: Gennet cycle buddies part 16  (Read 62738 times)

0 Members

Offline sunnyCM

modify
Gennet cycle buddies part 16
« Reply #180 on: 21/06/18, 06:55 »
Hi Kayte - haha cyclones 😂 I know what you mean! That does seem like a lot, was this from Reprofit? Iíd definitely check with them. Maybe they are trying to treat for possible MTHR mutation issues where you canít absorb folic acid properly (Iím definitely no expert on this and I was never tested or diagnosed) but having loads of ordinary folic wouldnít help if thatís the case.z Sue at IVFT said the folic in my prenatal was sufficient for Gennet. I still added some methylfolate form of folic in case I had MTHR as it wouldnít do any harm otherwise.

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline Makingapoppyseed

modify
    « Reply #181 on: 21/06/18, 08:23 »
    Thinking of you today Icecat

I love the accidentally description of cycles as cyclones! They certainly feel like that to my body lol!

HopefulKayte - the NHS dr here prescribed me 5mg folic acid as well as b6.

I have however stopped taking that in favour of a multivitamin which has methyl folate (better absorbed if you have MTHFR  as I do) together with b vitamin complex.

I read some studies which said you need the methyl form and b vitamins to help it absorb.
    For a while I took both the Nhs pill and the methyl folate until I felt comfortable just taking the methyl.

Our resident scientist SunnyFl might be able to dig out the articles.

Think my af has arrived today and I will therefore start all my FET drugs today. Here come the headaches!

Hello to everyone. X

Offline Bossy

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #182 on: 21/06/18, 09:47 »
    Kayte you're simply hilarious:))) cyclones is the best word I could find to describe my cycles:))))) did you decided to go ahead with Reprofit?? Xx

Icecat I'm thinking of you.

Makingapoppyseed so exciting you're starting your Fet xx

Offline Sunny-FL

modify
    « Reply #183 on: 21/06/18, 19:01 »
    Icacat, any updates? Hang in there!!

Poppy, good luck!! Transfer in ~18 days?

Kayte, 10 mg?? Sure it's not a typo? Probably not but I thought I'd ask just to be sure ;) Did they tell you at all why they'd put you on such a high dose? Doses above the upper limit are generally not recommended, and this is wayyyyy above the limit. I'm copying a couple of snippets from literature with URL's in case you want to read more.

From: https://academic.oup.com/jn/article/146/3/494/4653021
    Ingested FA is reduced by dihydrofolate reductase (DHFR), and after subsequent methylation via 1-carbon substitution, it is released in the systemic circulation as 5-methyltetrahydrofolate (5-MTHF). However, the reduction of FA is a slow process that is influenced by individual variations in DHFR activity (1), and thus exposure to high oral doses of FA can result in the appearance of unmetabolized FA in the circulation (2). The latter has raised concerns regarding potential (although as yet unconfirmed) adverse health effects, on the basis that FA is not a normal constituent of plasma or other tissues. The most widely publicized risk of excessive FA intake is the possible masking of the macrocytic anemia of vitamin B-12 deficiency, common in older people, while allowing the associated irreversible neurologic symptoms to progress (3, 4). Furthermore, analyses of NHANES (1999Ė2002) data in the United States showed that in elderly participants with low vitamin B-12 status, the presence of unmetabolized FA in serum was associated with a lower prevalence of macrocytosis and worse cognitive performance compared to those with low vitamin B-12 status and no detectable FA in the circulation (5). Other evidence has suggested that FA doses in excess of 1 mg/d may potentially promote the growth of new or already existing but undiagnosed colorectal adenomas in those with pre-existing lesions (6).

and

Although it remains to be proven whether there are adverse effects associated with unmetabolized FA in the circulation, it may be of particular interest to further consider pregnancy in this context as a vulnerable time of the life cycle.

An animal study:
    https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-017-03158-1
    Maternal folic acid (FA) supplementation prior to and during gestation is recommended for the prevention of neural tube closure defects in the developing embryo. Prior studies, however, suggested that excessive FA supplementation during gestation can be associated with toxic effects on the developing organism. Here, we address whether maternal dietary folic acid supplementation at 40 mg/kg chow (FD), restricted to a period prior to conception, affects neurobehavioural development in the offspring generation. Detailed behavioural analyses showed reversal learning impairments in the Morris water maze in offspring derived from dams exposed to FD prior to conceiving. Furthermore, offspring of FD dams showed minor and transient gene expression differences relative to controls. Our data suggest that temporary exposure of female germ cells to FD is sufficient to cause impaired cognitive flexibility in the subsequent generation.

Or this study: https://academic.oup.com/nutritionreviews/article/74/7/469/1752339, that looked at existing literature on folic acid exposure above the tolerable upper intake level (by them defined as 1 mg): The tolerable upper intake level (UL) of folic acid (but not total food folate) was set by the Institute of Medicine at 1000 mg of folic acid only and was based on evidence that supplemental intake may precipitate or exacerbate the neurological damage of vitamin B 12 deficiency at levels exceeding 1000 Ķg.

Offline sunnyCM

modify
    « Reply #184 on: 21/06/18, 20:16 »
    Hope youíre doing ok Icecat- thinking of you xx

Offline Makingapoppyseed

modify
    « Reply #185 on: 21/06/18, 20:16 »
    Hi Sunny
    Yes Iím guessing transfer on day 18 but thatís a Sunday so not sure what happens?
    Also suspect that will get pushed back because of rubbish thin lining. They have suggested taking more estrogen from the beginning and going for a lining scan check on day 7 and then being able to add in estrogen patches. Hopefully that will do the job.

Watching lots of box sets to distract me but why oh why do they all have pregnancy plot lines.....boo.

Hope everyone is well and thinking of you Icecat. X

Offline hle

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #186 on: 21/06/18, 22:28 »
    hi poppy

the clinic closes on a Sunday. they will probably transfer on the Monday, which is fine. we had to do the same, one day early or later than day 18, can't remember which, but anyway I it still worked. Good luck.

Icecat I'm so sorry again x

Offline HopefulKayte

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #187 on: 22/06/18, 02:12 »
    Icecat - checking in and thinking of you, just wanted you to know.  :)

Thanks for the advice about the folic acid. SunnyFL, I stared at it multiple times to make sure I saw the '0' in '10'!  ;D This was part of my protocol from Reprofit. I was pretty surprised - as they know much less about me than Gennet did prior to organizing a cycle. So it seems 1mg or 5mg are the common doses... as I thought.

Offline IceCat

modify
    « Reply #188 on: 22/06/18, 09:28 »
    Hi ladies - thank you again so much for your support and thoughts. My beta at 6dp5dt came back at 12.6, which is extremely low I believe, plus I'm still bleeding plenty (with some clots, sorry), despite having increased pregesterone. I think it's a chemical pregnancy. I will try and go for another beta tomorrow to make sure I can stop the meds if it's dropping. Good thing is that at least implantation is possible despite my very difficult embryo transfers.

Offline Sunny-FL

modify
    « Reply #189 on: 22/06/18, 11:25 »
    Just a quick one...
    Ice, it's not that low for day 6 (remember, you're only 11 DPO. Most wait until day 14, and ladies on this board usually wait until 19 DPO!). Implantation usually occurs between 8 and 12 DPO (the earlier the higher the chance of a live birth) and it always starts low. So all of this could mean that the bleeding you experienced is implantation (so implantation around 9-10 DPO, great!). It has to start somewhere this early and it could very well be that if you test again tomorrow, the values have quadrupled.

I'm not trying to get your hopes up, just trying to look at it realistically. I would say there's still a very decent chance that your numbers will be going up instead of down. The bleeding could be implantation or the loss of one of the embryos, it's hard to say. The only thing we do know is that implantation did occur, now we just have to find out if it keeps on sticking! With levels like these, you can easily start testing at home by the way, to see if there's any progression (no digital tests please, just the old-fashioned ones with lines... go for a FRER if that's available in Iceland).

Keep us updated!!!