* Author Topic: Vistahermosa cycle chat 9  (Read 53874 times)

0 Members

Offline Firefly86

• Un-Ranked
modify
Vistahermosa cycle chat 9
« Reply #750 on: 8/02/20, 02:55 »
Hi Poppy41, it sounds like we are in a similar situation. I have also now had 3 miscarriages although very early and have never even seen a fetal pole or heartbeat yet! Two blighted ovumís and one chemical......I agree, it really takes its toll and my husband and I donít even get excited about a bfp anymore but hopefully this time will be different!

I had a hysteroscopy at Vistahermosa in November and they were really good and professional, the procedure didnít take long and I was under general anaesthetic so didnít feel a thing! They did actually find some issues in my hysteroscopy which I wasnít actually expecting so when I came around they explained I would need surgery to remove some scar tissue and correct an abnormally narrow uterus which I would have had from birth. The doctors really took the time to explain this all and were confident they could fix it and think it could be the reason behind my miscarriages. We were only in Alicante for 4 days and were not expecting this but they were amazing and fit me in for surgery the next day. As Vistahermosa is part of a hospital it was all done on site and we had a private room with two beds my husband and I could stay in for recovery. The surgery was around two and a half hours in the end and I felt pretty sick after the second day of general anaesthetic so I ended up staying in the hospital that night with my husband but felt fine the next morning. Again the doctors took lots of time to explain how the surgery went and the plan going forwards. We spent more time with them than we did over 6 embryo transfers in Chelsea and Westminster. We just canít believe after all this treatment no one in the UK suggested a hysteroscopy before (even Dr Raj Rai when I went to him for multiple miscarriages). Anyway Poppy, what I am trying to say is I think it is definitely worth investing and I am really hoping it will make the difference this time. And the hospital and team were great!

We are also doing PGS on all our embryos this cycle. It is a bit more expensive but I want to be sure what we are putting back are genetically normal. If it works it will work our financially and emotionally cheaper in the end. A big plus for us was that Vistahermosa have a genetic lab on site and I think they are very experienced in this field. They are also able to do testing on fresh embryos, get the results in one day and still return a fresh one on day 6 which is what we are hoping to achieve this cycle. We will also have anything we are going to freeze (hopefully we have some) tested. It is scary thinking there might be no genetically normal ones there but chances are there will be at least one (god willing) and I would prefer to know from the start than keep having bloody miscarriages. I just want to eliminate as many unknowns as I can. I know that even a PGS screened normal embryo can still end in miscarriage but it does at least lower the chance.

Anyway I will know a lot more about all of this by the middle of next month and will keep you posted. Any questions just let me know.

First injection (Sizan) on the 13th Feb and we fly on the 25th Feb. Really looking forward to it but one hurdle at a time. Come on Vistahermosa and 2020!!!

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline Firefly86

• Un-Ranked
    modify
    « Reply #751 on: 8/02/20, 03:28 »
    Also, meant to say the hysteroscopy cost 1,800 Euros using general (which they recommended over sedation), the surgery was around 3,000 Euros but they took the cost of the hysteroscopy off this. The IVF Cycle + PGT-A which we are doing is 7,650 Euros and includes all the monitoring, egg collection, ICSI fertilisation (if needed), time lapse incubation, PGT-A testing, embryoglue, Blastocyst transfer and assisted hatching if needed. Can't believe how much it all adds up but if it gets us there then it will be worth every penny. I don't want to even think how much we spent at Chelsea & Westmister over the years with nothing to show for it! Just have to close our eyes and believe we will get our longed for baby in the end  :)

Offline Poppy41London

modify
    « Reply #752 on: 12/02/20, 16:21 »
    Hi Firefly, thanks for your messages. So your first injection is tomorrow. You must be excited it's all starting. It's good to hear your hysteroscopy went well and they found and fixed something which they think may explain what's been going on so far. Fingers crossed. 

They said to me that sedation would be fine rather than general anesthesia which I would prefer to be honest having only had a general fairly recently for my miscarriage surgery. Can I ask who did your procedure? Was it Dr Llorret or is it not anyone from the fertility team. I just know he is head of gynae. And did they have good English so could explain clearly to you what they were doing?

As to your cycle and having the PGT-A testing. Have you had testing done previously on your cycles in the UK? I think in spite of the cost - which is a lot!! - we are probably going to have the testing done on our remaining embryos too. Just to know really rather than playing roulette with my body. If I can avoid another miscarriage I really want to as it's so, so hard...

The clinic have also provided the option to have 1 or 2 double donor PGT-A tested embryos transferred if it turns out none of our remaining embryos are normal. I so, so hope that we do have some normal ones. However, if we don't I think we will look at transferring a double donor embryo to give us the chance of still having a baby. We have had 5 cycles of ICSI now, 3 with own eggs and sperm and 2 with donor eggs and my husbands sperm. So if it turns out none of our remaining embryos are ok, I think we have to accept there is an issue with the sperm and go with double donor (because the sperm was at it's best this time). It's a big thing to consider but at the same time it gives some reassurance as it means that if we go ahead with a FET we won't risk transferring nothing. And the most important thing to me is to become a mum, however that may be.

I have my endocrinologist appointment in a couple of weeks and I think they may say there is an issue with my thyroid - possibly hashimotos - which I kind of hope is the case weirdly. As that would explain a lot about my physical symptoms and particularly during pregnancy, also my immune reactions. So if I can go on thyroid medication and it helps me feel better and reduces my autoimmune responses, I feel that will also help to ensure I can maintain a pregnancy.

I am trying to remind myself that in the last 3 cycles I have got pregnant each time, so my body clearly wants to be pregnant and is able to get pregnant. I just need to be able to maintain a pregnancy and need to try and ensure that we have the best embryos (which is why testing seems necessary) and the best environment for those embryos to grow and develop.

One question I have for your Firefly is, if you have more than one normal embryo after testing, will you transfer 2 or just 1? I am thinking maybe 1. We have transferred 2 previously (except in one own egg cycle where we only had one). But because these embryos would be tested and we know they would be normal, I am thinking one would be better. Otherwise there might be a higher chance of having twins, something I would prefer to avoid if possible (only because I don't know if my body would handle it that well).

Anyway, I hope you are feeling positive about your upcoming cycle and about flying out to Alicante soon. Are you going to be staying in the apartment I recommended?

Hi to everyone else. Be lovely to hear from you too when you get a chance. And any other ladies who are cycling/about to cycle/have cycled at Vistahermosa, be great to hear from you too.

Xx

Offline Firefly86

• Un-Ranked
    modify
    « Reply #753 on: 13/02/20, 07:50 »
    Hi Poppy41, It was Dr Francisco Anaya Blanes who did both my procedures, his English was good and he was very nice. When he initially came in to tell me what they had found it was all a bit of a blur to be honest. I guess partially because I was coming around from general and also it was a bit of a shock but he was very nice and reassuring. Dr Galvez who is overseeing our case then had a long chat with my husband and I (with a translator) and explained everything clearly including diagrams! I arranged everything through Ema at PreGen and was only really given the option of general as that is what Dr Galvez recommended. It was slightly more expensive but I am happy we had it under general.

The operation the following day was a bit nerve wracking and there was quite a lot of waiting around but I am pretty relaxed in hospitals and with that sort of stuff and chose to find the comedy in it all. The only bit I didn't really like was the recovery room were I felt pretty sick and really needed the loo......the nurse was quite grumpy but I guess one of those things! The following day we met with both Dr Lloret and Dr Galvez who were very nice and explained everything very well. I just pray the healing process has gone well and my uterus is in better shape for this round. I wish I just just have a quick look in there to check but it is out of my control so I just have to have faith!

We have never had PGS done before on any embryos so that will be interesting! We have been using donor sperm throughout and I am hoping being 33 that at least some of my eggs are up to scratch! I have been taking CQ10 and started injecting Sizan this morning which all hopes to help my eggs be the best quality they can be.........We will definitely just transfer one embryo as I am pretty petite (5 foot 2) and I don't want to chance any multiple pregnancy complications. Like with you my last two fresh transfers I have got pregnant so that bit seems to be working it is just sustaining it! Hopefully if the embryo is genetically normal that should help the odds. Also if I have a slightly smaller than usual uterus I think a single pregnancy is the way to go!

Yes, we have rented a 2 bedroom apartment at Bazan 16 from the 26th Feb - 14th March and are looking forward to seeing it. My husband is also looking forward to a break as he is a rose grower here in Kenya so Valentines is a very busy time of year for him at work  ;D Hope all you girls will be receiving lots of roses this year!

I started on Urbason (anti inflammatory) and Sizan today any should start with stimms in 10 days or so. I will keep you all up to date with how we get on. An exciting if slightly anxious time but at least this time we are doing something different.

Poppy41, good luck with your next step and it sounds like you have a good plan in place to focus on. As long as there is something new to try I feel there is still hope! I am sure 2020 has lots ahead for both of us!

Offline jennyH1

modify
    « Reply #754 on: 19/02/20, 16:06 »
    Hi everyone,

Some of you may remember me. I literally lived on this post back in August when I was heading to Vistahermosa for the first time. I last spoke to you all just before our very first appt. To make a very long story short,when we returned from that appt both my Mum and brother became very ill  and were both admitted into hospital for different medical reasons. It was such a worrying time I just didn't have a minute and unfortunately lost touch with you all. Thankfully both family members are well again but after such a long time I almost felt too embarrassed to log back on. Mega stupid I know but it was such a busy time even after they were discharged I knew I wouldn't be able to correspond as much as I would have liked. I'm sorry I wasn't there to support people I'd got to know and hope you all don't mind me sticking my nose back in here!!

Poppy, Brighty, Butterfly and Maiziee you are the great gang of supportive gals that were here when I last posted. I've read up on all your messages since then and will chat to you all individually shortly.

Firstly to update you and fill in any new members.
    Myself and my hubby had lots of rounds of IVF with my own eggs. We always reached blastocyst stage and were always able to transfer 2 embryo's at a time but never ever got a BFP. Those times were hard but this forum helped us and me in particular to come to terms with donor egg IVF and I haven't looked back.
    So after our meeting at VH we did proceed and our first donor egg cycle resulted in 8 eggs which lead to 3 blastocycts. We transferred 2 embies in September (around the same time as you Poppy) and for the first time ever got a BFP. Only you guys can know how amazing that feels after so many years of nothing. Your story Poppy has resonated with me the most as unfortunately 6 wks later I miscarried. Although it happened naturally and I didn't (thank God) require surgery or having to go through anything like what you went through Poppy..it was one of the hardest times in my life. I read your posts afterwards and felt sooo incredibly sorry for you as I too felt shattered afterwards. It's a horrible time.
    Once I got over that we tried again in January. We had 1 frozen embie but the clinic let us know that our donor had also done a frozen egg cycle with 6 great quality eggs that were ours if we wanted. It was too tempting to say no when all we could think of was..."we've gotten pregnant so imagine if we're lucky again...we could have a little brother or sister down the line from the same donor". In hindsight this was probably a crazy decision on our part seeing as they were frozen eggs and we have learnt since are not of the same quality as fresh eggs. Anyway as you guys know sometimes your choices in IVF are driven by emotions rather than rational thinking.
    Anywho, eventhough the clinic were hoping for "maybe 3 good quality embryos" (because the eggs were such good quality).. we ended up with just one embryo. Baring in mind..the frozen egg cycle cost almost as much as a full regular cycle we were disappointed. Having to stay positive as all of us know all too well..we just had to look the bright side and were happy we at least had one.
    So..with the clinics approval we transferred 2 embies....1 from our first fresh cycle and the 1 from the frozen egg cycle. We had every hope and every reason to think this would work. The Dr doing the transfer said we were looking at a 70-75% chance of success.
    Sadly however our hpt and hcg were negative. We were and I still am devastated considering that is now 2 donor cycles and I know everyone can appreciate you go into donor thinking it's the magic answer. It's difficult to face the fact that it may not be what you hoped!!
    We since had our Skype call and Dr Lopez has advised another cycle with PGS and a repeat hysteroscopy. (Had one July of last year) He also mentioned it may be worth considering the guarantee programme. We've established since day dot years ago that I have raised NK cells and was being treated with clexane and steroids for that. Also had thyroid probs which have been fine for a few years and TSH was 1.5 at time of transfer. My hubby has had FISH on his little swimmers and no probs.
    It's all so hard to get your head around and we have some big decisions to make. I feel so sad that after 2 cycles we have zero frosties and have to now consider a new donor and everything that comes with that including the wait and I so hate the wait!!
    Sorry for the long msg and complete rant but I have really missed you all and the support from this brilliant forum and eventhough friends and family are great, nobody really understands unless they've been through it.
    To be honest I've been wondering if we should change clinics. For really no other reason than pure desperation. The clinic have been great as always (although notably a tad more busy) and have e new nurse coordinator who is slightly impatient. I giggled when you mentioned a nurse who was "grumpy" after your hysto Firefly. I bet that's her  ;D In fairness you'd get over all that.

Anyway girlies those of you who have had amazing success stories here have really renewed my faith and thanks so much for that!!!! Those of you still trying to get there have also made me feel so less alone even just reading your posts so thank you also so so much!!!! My hubby is an adorable person who has been so great in all this but it's just fab speaking to other women going through similar ...lets be honest..pure crapola!! ;D

Enough about me......

Poppy- I was so absolutely gutted for you when I read all your msgs. My heart literally sank no joke. I am so so sorry that you have had such a difficult time. You sound like such a fighter and I think your amazing for getting through this and for all the support I see you've given others even when you were going through the mill. I really hope this is your year and I promise I will be better support to you from here on in!!! You had PM'd me the time I disappeared and I am so sorry I never replied. Today is the first time I've logged on so just saw it. You and I are in a similar situation in the sense that we have also been advised hysto and PGS and we're still unsure re the PGS. To answer your question re the hysteroscopy....it will be so easy for you having gone through what you have. You'll fly it. When I had one in July it was under general & honestly I didn't even know I'd had one. My friend has had it under sedation & said it was fine. They've recommended sedation for me this time too. Anyway Poppy I hope we can reconnect & l promise I won't vanish again!! Promise!! I'm thrilled that you have..is it 4 frosties left? It makes a huge difference.

Brighty- I am so delighted for you and your little boy and girl. My God you totally hit the jackpot!! I know you must be wrecked but you will settle in and actually have the energy to enjoy your little bundles of joy soon. Apparently the first month is the hardest with twins. You were just I think about 10 wks pregnant when I last posted. My God has it been THAT long. Really thrilled for you!!

Butterfly- Another gorgeous success story. I am so happy for you and Elia. You sound like such an adoring Mum and it's lovely to hear. Like Brighty you were just a bit further on in your pregnancy when I last posted and I was so happy to see both your good news. It's so uplifting for all us who are still hoping.

Maizee- It's so great to hear you enjoyed your first Christmas with your son. I felt for you after catching up on your posts and really hope all the medical issues you are having are starting to subside.

Firefly- I wouldn't have chatted to you before but read your story and wow have you been through it. It honestly makes me feel so hopeful and gives me the motivation to keep going when I see a story like yours. Hello you are such a champion to continue after such disappointment and I am so thrilled that finally you have found a clinic that please God can give you some answers.You soooo deserve it both you and your husband. Even the fact that they have found scar tissue and an abnormally narrow uterus is huge!! I know your on your protocol now and I so so sooo have my fingers crossed for you for your trip coming up soon. Even though I have not posted here I've probably been the most recent at the clinic (just last month) so please let me know if there's anything up to date you need to know. Really wishing you just the very best.

So everyone sorry for autobiography like msg. Thanks if you've had the patience to read and I hope to chat to you all again soon.

Ps- hope anyone I have not mentioned who is reading this is doing well and are in some way close to their goal 

Thanks so much everyone xxxx

Offline Poppy41London

modify
    « Reply #755 on: 20/02/20, 19:21 »
    Hi all

Firefly thanks for all the information and I hope all is going well so far with your medication and the process so far?

Jenny, hello! So good to have you back. Of course I remember you. I wondered what had happened and why you suddenly just disappeared. I am sorry to hear about your mum and your brother both becoming really ill and ending up in hospital. I am glad they are doing ok now though and totally understand why you didn't have time for the forum. Plus I know people handle things differently and not everyone likes to be in contact when going through treatment. There is no right or wrong way to go about things. Just good to hear you are ok though and really nice to have you back!

I am very sorry to hear that although you achieved pregnancy on your first donor round you ending up miscarrying naturally. Yes its damn hard. Having miscarried 3 times now, and seen a strong heartbeat on 2 of those occasions as well, I know how soul destroying the loss is... I hope you are doing ok. At least you were able to pick yourself back up and go for a FET, but it's really crappy to then not achieve a pregnancy - especially after you paid the clinic for all those extra eggs from your donor and only ended up with one extra embryo from those eggs... I can totally understand your disappointment and questioning about what next?

A few things I am wondering:
    - I am not sure what benefit another hysteroscopy would be given you have had one a year ago and it was fine?

- You mentioned your thyroid level was fine pre pregnancy and treatment, but given I think you said you have had thyroid issues before, did you get it tested once you got pregnant? I have been reading a lot about the role of the thyroid and how TSH increases often substantially due to hormones (the drugs) and then because of pregnancy. So - we aren't told this if within range prior to treatment - but anyone with a history of thyroid issues should look at monitoring their TSH levels to make sure they don't get too high. People on meds usually are advised to increase their meds when they get pregnant and/or start IVF.  Because if the thyroid is not working well then this can cause problems with development of the fetus and could result in miscarriage. This is one of the reasons I am going to see an endocrinologist as I think I have thyroid issues which may be affecting my pregnancies.

- PGS or PGT-A testing as it's now called may be worth considering for your next try. It's so expensive but it does mean you aren't going to be transferring any embryos which are chromosomally abnormal and would result in miscarriage. Unless you feel able to stand potentially going through miscarriage again and taking your chances (not that the testing guarantees pregnancy or can fully prevent miscarriage either but I guess it substantially reduces the risk).

The thing is it may just be a case of bad luck too... that's what is so hard as how can we know for sure.

As to changing clinics, I guess it depends if you still have trust in the clinic or not? I really rate them despite my losses and disappointment so far. However I was disappointed to find that Itziar is no longer there - or is on indefinite leave - I am thinking maybe she had a baby and is on maternity leave? My husband thought she was pregnant when we were there in September last year, but I thought she had just put on a bit of weight. Now I am thinking he was probably right though.

And you mentioned the new nurse coordinator. Is she in place of that lovely male nurse who always did the blood tests and held the scanner during transfers? I hope not! I would be really disappointed if he has gone too as he was such a calming influence and so kind and nice. Part of what made me feel so comfortable at VH is getting to know the little team and feeling like they were really wanting things to work out for you and it not being just like a machine.

Anyway I will write more later in response to you asking about me Jenny, and a bit more in reply to you and your situation too, but I have to go for now and I don't want to risk losing my message. Xx

Offline jennyH1

modify
    « Reply #756 on: 21/02/20, 23:13 »
    Hi everyone.

Hey Poppy. Great to hear from you and thanks so much for understanding my out of the blue absence. IVF is so time consuming and takes up so much of your head space that when something else happens you literally haven't a minute for anything else. It's great to be back here though and thanks for your reply and words of encouragement. And yes thanks I am doing better. It takes time to get over the initial disappointment as you know all too well but we're both getting there. Just have to make decisions now re the best course of action moving forward. I really hate this bit as there are so many variables to consider and it's hard not to second guess any choices you make.

How is everything with you? Are you hoping to start back soon with your frozen embies? You were so right to take some time out. This process is so draining and having bad news to deal with consistently does not help. You have really had such a hard time having had 3 miscarriages and hearing a heartbeat for 2. That is so incredibly heartbreaking I cannot even imagine but you have a fantastic attitude and please God you will get there!!! I watched a brief clip from a renowned American Dr on donor IVF which basically suggested that donor IVF failure is really just down to persistence and is a bit of a numbers game. He also suggested it has the highest rate of live birth success in all IVF treatments. I hope both of us just haven't hit that lucky spot yet and you will with these next transfers. I'll have everything crossed for you!! The fact that you've been pregnant 3 times just has to be a really good sign!!

Has your consultant in VH come up with any changes that might help? I know you were saying you have an appt with an endocrinologist. I think that's a really smart route to go. I see an endo privately because as you know my thyroid has been an issue in the past. She is great and in answer to your questions..yes I'd been having weekly bloods throughout the pregnancy and also on the last fail. My TfT's esp TSH never changed even when on prolutex injections and even when my progesterone levels shot from practically nothing to really high. That's not to say that it might not be different for you and it is absolutely one of the best things you can do.

Maybe the hysteroscopy may shed some light also. When are you planning on having that? The obstetrics and gynae consultant who did my hysteroscopy is really the bizz. I work in the medical field and knew of him before the procedure and he is excellent in his speciality. He told me to have IVF within 3 months of having the hysto as he said the procedure itself is better than any scratch test. (Ideally first 3 mths but within 6 mths) Also and this is in answer to your question re me having a repeat hysto...he said that fibroids and uterine issues can change ....(and this bit is interesting for both of us and Firefly too)...ESPECIALLY after a miscarriage and the months following!! That's why our doc in VH wants a repeat hysto and it's one of the procedures I would request anyway. Uterine anomalies can occur at any time and they are usually easily treated. This is good news for us ...fingers crossed!!

With PGS ..we're not convinced it's for us right now but I think if I were you and had gone through 3 miscarriages I would 100% be doing it if you can afford it. The benefit will be establishing if a euploid chromosomally normal embryo leads to a healthy pregnancy and it also reduces the risk of you and your body having to deal with another miscarriage. I think you have absolutely made the right decision!!

Changing of clinics...Poppy I am so desperate now that I would consider anything!! I've read so many posts where couples have had repeated failures..changed clinics..and low and behold success. It's probably more that their luck changed and they may have had the same outcome had they not changed clinics. You know yourself when your at that stage of deciding what next..you live on google for answers. Also because we have zero frosties left in the clinic from 2 cycles we have that option. The truth is I do trust the clinic and would have no reason to leave...it's called IVF induced pure stupid indecision  ^idiot^

Good news Poppy it's not Bernardo the lovely transfer room nurse  ^pompom^ yeaaaaah..hehe
    You prob know Mercedes left. I think she's replacing her. And lovely Itziar..I don't know if she were pregnant but she seemed to leave really suddenly.
    This nurse who I hope you never meet is just mega impatient and I'm not sure is suited to the job. My husband cannot stand her purely because when you ask her the most basic question she tuts and says the clinic is "very busy". He feels when you travel from another country and have paid thousands that this is just not acceptable. I guess he's right. (We've had her at 2 clinic appts) It's taken me a bit to convince my husband she's not a good representative of the clinic overall. Also she's made a few mistakes with our protocol and scripts. I don't mind as she's new-ish but she has a tendency to try persuade you she is correct.....that I have to say annoys me!! For example on our last visit straight after TF when you should be calm she tried to persuade us the script for cyclogest she'd given us was right. We both had to show her the label on the box of cyclogest we'd brought  to the clinic to prove to her she was wrong. My husband was very concerned and thought it was very unprofessional. Thank God though he has met all the other lovely and really professional members of the team and does really like them and is happy with their care. It's funny how one bad apple can ruin the cart but I've learned if she's there again in the future just keep my interactions to a minimal...pity!!! I'm sure or at least hope she improves with time.

Anyway Poppy hope your doing ok. Be looking forward to chatting again soon. Great to be back!!!Have a lovely wknd x

Firefly your nearly there. Hope all is going well for you in the lead up.Thinking of you x

Talk soon everyone xx

Offline Firefly86

• Un-Ranked
    modify
    « Reply #757 on: 22/02/20, 03:08 »
    Hi Girls,

So update for us is that my period arrived yesterday and I start on Gonal F and Menopur on Sunday. We have our first day 8 scan booked for the 28th, exciting to get started! JennyH1 thank you for the update on the team, we met Itziar on our first appointments and really liked her so a shame she is not around but to be honest they are all so lovely and have so much more time for us compared to our last clinic in London. I guess I am also hoping a change in clinic will also change out luck........sometimes it is just a mental thing as much as anything!

I have also found it so helpful having Ema from PreGen as an inbetween, are any of you girls using her. She is a great contact to unload any silly questions. It feels nice to have someone on your team willing to do any chancing of answers etc so I don't have to worry!

JennyH1 thank you for the extra info about the hysteroscopy, that is very reassuring and as we are 3 months from that procedure I hope that helps us. I wish there was a way of double checking everything looks good in there now but I will just have to have faith. I do trust the clinic and doctors so have decided not to overthink things and second guess (which I am very good at) and just go with the flow (as best I can!).

I am also listening to a really funny podcast called Big Fat Negative. I find it really comforting to listen to other people going through the same and the women in the podcast are very good at finding the comedy in this experience and they also interview some interesting people.

Anyway, we fly to Alicante on Wednesday and am excited to see the apartment and get everything going. Poppy, thank you so much for the recommendation. We are sad to be leaving our dogs behind for such a long time but hopefully it will all be worth it! I will keep you updated with any progress!!

Offline jennyH1

modify
    « Reply #758 on: 24/02/20, 16:38 »
    Hi everyone,

Firefly just a quick message to say hope everything is going well since you started your protocol. I'm really excited for you and hope your starting to get excited too. It's so great that VH found some issues after your hysteroscopy and were able to correct them. I really hope this will be your answer now and things will go more positively for you. It sounds like you absolutely made the right decision to change clinics and the team at VH are really great!!

That's fab that you had that hysto recently. I know you would love a way to double check but I'm sure everything is perfect. The clinic are really professional and would know that they are confident after your surgery so don't worry... as you say ...have faith and try not to overthink...you are in good hands!!

No sadly we didn't go through PreGen so don't have that contact. I've heard great things about them.

Thanks for the tip on that podcast. I must try to check that out. It's so important to laugh sometimes through this process and that podcast sounds like a tonic.

Best of luck now and enjoy every moment of this next phase. As they've found and corrected some issues you've had it would give you some real extra hope so make sure to allow yourself to be hopeful and enjoy this time. Will be thinking of you x

Poppy hope all is going well for you and look forward to chatting whenever you have time to post next x

Chat soon everyone x

Offline Poppy41London

modify
    « Reply #759 on: 25/02/20, 17:52 »
    Hi everyone

Jenny sorry I haven't got back to write more before now, I have been meaning to.

Anyway, I had my endocrinologist appointment this morning which was great. He took lots of time with me and I was able to talk through all my symptoms and my situation. Based on my bloods he said he doesn't think I have Hashimotos. However, despite my blood test results not being conclusive, based on my symptoms he does think there could be a thyroid issue so has prescribed me thyroxine to see how I go on it. And he has also prescribed me Metformin to see if that can help me with my weight and some of my other issues. Plus he said, though not statistically proven, for some women taking both these drugs can help reduce miscarriage risk. So if I respond well he would advise I take them when I go for my FET and continue for at least the first trimester if I get a positive result.

Plus he has also advised we test my Cortisol levels as some of my symptoms point towards that possibly being an issue, so I am getting that done and will see what the results are. It just feels positive having an expert take me seriously and be willing to try out different things to help me.

I will get my TSH tested again in 3 weeks after starting on the meds and then he will adjust the medication depending on the outcome. So let's see what happens... I am really hopeful these meds are going to make a difference to my energy, my inability to lose any weight despite everything I do to achieve that, and hopefully will also have a positive impact on the fertility side of things.

Beyond that, I was shocked to find out from Vistahermosa just how expensive PGT-A testing is. We thought we would only need to pay the basic cost of an FET next time round which was such a relief after how much money we have poured into all this treatment over the years and how low our financial reserves have become. But now it's going to potentially cost a lot more than a donor egg cycle would have done, let alone a simple FET!!

However given all I have been through, we think we are going to go ahead with the PGT-A  and test our remaining embryos so that we reduce the chance of miscarriage significantly. And if we end up in an unfortunate position of having no chromosomally normal embryos out of the 4 we have remaining, we are seriously considering having a FET using donor embryos which have been PGT-A tested and confirmed normal (which is also very expensive and another big step to take).

This journey has just been so long and so hard though, and if we end up without any normal embryos then the doctor said that will point to a sperm issue (which he said would be due to age). And as we have maximised the potential of the sperm in every way possible and we had great sperm in this cycle, if there are chromosomal abnormalities due to age, there seems no point spending more time trying to do more cycles with my husbands sperm.

Though given we got 6 embryos this cycle from 8 donor eggs, I am just hoping and praying we will have at least one or two normal embryos out of the four we have remaining - as even the clinic said getting 6 embryos/blatocysts still going strong at day 5 was an unusually good result from 8 eggs. They usually expect only a third or quarter of fertilised eggs to make it to that point. But of course there are no guarantees.

As to the hysteroscopy, I am actually not sure I am going to go ahead with it now Jenny. The doctor at Vistahermosa said that it could be worth doing (as it's one of the only tests I haven't had) but he thought it would be more to rule things out as he didn't think they would find any issues. So, given the expense and the fact it has to be done with sedation, or even general (when initially I thought it would be done painlessly without either) I am leaning towards not having it done at this stage. If there were any issues I had experienced which pointed towards needing one, I would 100% do it. But based on what the doctor said and my own research and feelings about it, and having to balance the expense of everything else, I think it could be something that is ok for me to not do.

Anyway, that's my update for now.

How are you feeling about things Jenny? Still considering changing clinics?

Xx