* Author Topic: Steroid Prednisolone prescribed for IVF?  (Read 690 times)

0 Members

Offline Gina350

• Un-Ranked
Hi all, I would like to hear experiences of the steroid Prednisolone being prescribed for high thyroid antibodies in the blood during iVf for better embryo implantation. I have been warned about the risks to the baby however it seems like the DR thinks it will give the embryo the best chance of successful implantation. I am really confused as there isnít enough evidence on success rates and risks. If anyone has used this and has a story to tell, either positive or negative please reach out.
Thank you very much!

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline Teeinparis

• Gold Member
    modify
    Steroid Prednisolone prescribed for IVF?
    « Reply #1 on: 4/07/18, 11:13 »
    I took it with my daughter.  The weight gain sucked but the rest fine.  I had a miscarriage on it last year ... who knows.  For us I think we need it for my body not to fight implantation

Offline Gina350

• Un-Ranked
    modify
    « Reply #2 on: 4/07/18, 23:33 »
    Thanks Teeinparis. Iím really sorry to hear that. Can I please ask did you miscarry in the 1st term? And when you took it with your daughter did it have any side effects on the baby at all? Really appreciate your help. Thank you

Offline Teeinparis

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #3 on: 5/07/18, 00:02 »
    My daughter had a vsd - so hole in her heart that closed on its own with no consequences.  I think this is genetic though.   My miscarriage was about 9 weeks.

Offline Efi78

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #4 on: 5/07/18, 07:33 »
    Hi Gina

Do you have an implantation problem? I wouldn't take drugs if not absolutely necessary. If it is given due to thyroid antibodies (Hashimoto?) better to consult an endocrinologist

Offline Gina350

• Un-Ranked
    modify
    « Reply #5 on: 6/07/18, 08:16 »
    Thanks Teeinparis. So tests reveal I have high anti-thyroid antibodies. So the steroid is prescribed to ensure that this pregnancy works 1st time around as we are doing PGD IVF to avoid a genetic condition. Thanks again. 

Offline Teeinparis

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #6 on: 6/07/18, 10:03 »
    Doctors don't prescribe  it lightly.   I do have a friend whose boy was born with a cleft pallet but he is amazing and it is being remedied.  They have no idea why although could be steroids.  But as she said if I didn't take them he would've been a miscarriage!