* Author Topic: First Cycle ICSI - Low Sperm Count - Low BMI  (Read 1550 times)

0 Members

Offline GED001

Hi - I'm Georgie. Myself and my husband have been married for 2 years, and been trying for a baby since about a month after our wedding day!

After about 9 months we went to see a doctor as we had had no luck, to cut a long story short my husband was diagnosed with a low sperm count and we were on the road to IVF. Fast forward to now, we had our Nurse Consultation and we have been given a start date of 1st September to start the Hormone injections - I've been placed on a Short Protocol dose. The one problem we have is I have a slightly low BMI - I've got to put 2KG on before 24th August to be allowed to continue with our given start date.

One week in and I've put on 1KG so I'm all on track! I'm actually fairly confident I will be able to do it - 3000 calorie a day diet (90% healthy , 10% chocolate  ;D) and little to no exercise and I should be fine.

Will check back in with an update soon!

G xxx

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline GED001

modify
    First Cycle ICSI - Low Sperm Count - Low BMI
    « Reply #1 on: 30/08/18, 12:59 »
    Amazing....I did it!! Up to 50.3Kgs so a BMI of 19.6  :) :) :)

Meds turned up today and we are on track to start the hormones on Saturday....only problem is AF was due to start yesterday and shes nowhere to be seen  :-\

Why does she turn up when we don't want her and not turn up when we do want her? I have to call the clinic tomorrow either way so we will see what they say if shes still not here.

All seems very real now....

xxxxx

Offline GED001

modify
    « Reply #2 on: 12/10/18, 13:53 »
    So its been a while since I posted on here. Sad to say the last cycle was abandoned before it even started. The night before we were due to start I had a call from the clinic to say the latest blood test had shown up abnormal thyroid function and I couldnt start treatment until I had seen an endocrynologist. The waiting time for the NHS was 18 weeks!!! So we decided to pay for a private appointment at Spire Hospital and after more blood tests he concluded that it was nothing and IVF could start again.

We had another nurse appointment today and we are starting around 21st October!

So happy but also feeling very relaxed about the whole thing!

xxx

Offline GED001

modify
    « Reply #3 on: 24/10/18, 10:46 »
    So we start tomorrow!!!

AF arrived yesterday and after a lot of caffufle with the clinic giving me wrong information about whether to start the injections or start taking the pill we have finally been told to start tomorrow. My husband bless him bought me a little tray with compartments in it for all the needles etc so its all together. It actually feels like its happening now after so many start stops.

Ive been distracting myself the last few days by doing some online christmas shopping!!!

xxx

Offline GED001

modify
    « Reply #4 on: 29/10/18, 13:49 »
    Day 5

Today is Day 5 of stimming....and its both worse than I thought and not as bad as I thought it would be :L

The process didn't start out very smooth after being given the wrong information but we did our first injection Tuesday night (its a lot harder than they make it seem at the clinic isnt it!!) all seemed to be well. Until I woke up at 2am feeling more than a little bit quesy. This progressed to me spending the rest of the night and all of the next day being sick about every 30 minutes to an hour. It was truly horrific. I was so concerned it was something relating to OHSS or that they would cancel my cycle because I was sick...but I did eventually call the clinic who reassured me that it sounded like a bug and to ride it out staying hydrated. Sure enough come Saturday morning I felt much better (although very tired and lethagic from not eating the day before...) and the stimming could continue.

This morning was my first AM injection of Fyremadel which I did alone as my husband had already left for work. The needle was somewhat larger than the one I take in the evening (Meriofert) but it still went well.

Few more injections to take and then we have a scan booked in Wednesday to see how everything is progressing, Im really hoping they book me in for EC then as Im on short protocol I don't need to stim for very long and the main side affect I have is tiredness which is quite debilitating. I feel so sleepy.

xx

Offline GED001

modify
    « Reply #5 on: 5/11/18, 18:58 »
    Today was EGG COLLECTION!!!

They got 18 eggs...so i am at risk of OHSS and I now have to monitor all of my fluid intake and how much I pee...literally pee into a jug and measure it :L

I have a scan booked Thursday and then again Saturday to monitor it so fingers crossed.

Already nervous for the call from the embryologist tomorrow updating us on how many have fertilised...hereís hoping!!

If all goes to plan Iím booked for my transfer on Saturday 😊

Offline GED001

modify
    « Reply #6 on: 6/11/18, 15:30 »
    Of the 18 eggs, 11 were mature enough to be injected and 9 fertilised normally. Itís slightly lower than I was expecting but I know I how lucky we are for that number.

I feel so overwhelmed that there are actual embryos growing that are half me and half my husband. In the 2 years we have been trying we have never been able to say that and as strange as it sounds I feel like I love them already??

They said I wonít get any more updates now until Saturday when I go in for my transfer (unless something goes wrong between now and then!)

Finding it hard to focus on anything else and Iím not even in the 2WW yet xxx

Offline GED001

modify
    « Reply #7 on: 10/01/19, 15:21 »
    wow how much has happened!!!

So we got 5 embryos to blastocyst stage however on transfer day the doctors decided I was too unwell to have my transfer. I had developed OHSS and felt SO poorly! I was admitted to hospital for a protein fluid to be adminstered by IV and sent home to recuperate. Only 1 of our embryos was good enough to freeze so its waiting for us :)

Due to start our frozen cycle next week and feeling very relaxed about it! What else can go wrong! (Speaking too soon I know) xxx

Offline GED001

modify
    « Reply #8 on: 23/07/19, 12:27 »
    Since the last update.....

We had our frozen cycle and 5DPT I tested, it was positive.
    However at 10 weeks 4 days we found out I had had a missed miscarriage and our worlds shattered. To put it into context I had had some early bleeding around 5/6 weeks. After various blood tests it was determined everything was fine and I had scans at 7 weeks and 8 weeks.
    We then decided to see a private consultant and at our first appointment she scanned me and said the baby had no heartbeat and measured at just over 8 weeks, meaning it had slipped away only a few days after our last scan.
    2 rounds of medical management, a womb infection & a period later, I was given the all clear for round 2 so here we are.
    Ive started taking the pill and my first injection will be on Thursday. In terms of protocol its very similar to last time however In order to prevent OHSS I am on a high dose of Meriofert for the first 3 days and then its been dropped down. If the timescales are the same as last time (which they may well not be because of the lower dose, I think i might have to stim for longer), my EC will be Monday 5th August and transfer would then be around 10th.
    Weve canclled a holiday to Barcelone this weekend to take the pressure off which although I know is the right choice , is dissapointing because my DH booked it as a surprise for our wedding anniversary and i was so touched.
    Regarding how im feeling, its anxious to get started but also VERY excited. The thought of IVF doesnt make me feel anything negative, but the thought of being pregnant again terrifies me. My miscarriage was by far the worst time of my life and although id say I handled it fairly well I know I dont have the strength to do it again. It would break me. Heres hoping I dont have to think about it!
    xxxxx
    ps the irony of my last post is not lost on me...what else could go wrong was I being serious??

Offline GED001

modify
    « Reply #9 on: 31/07/19, 14:10 »
    Day 7 of stims today and my first progress scan - it went well and the consultant we saw was lovely.
    Back in on Saturday for my second progress scan - which will be my 29th birthday. Crazy to think i was only 26 when we started our journey for a baby and Im now 29.
    EC is scheduled tentatively for Monday still, I can't believe how fast everything is going. Our first cycle had so many set backs, it took a year almost from being referred to starting and here I am on my second round this fast!!
    xxx