* Author Topic: Carpe ovum (seize the egg) - sibling journey (ICSI cycle 2 w/ PGS = baby boy!)  (Read 16542 times)

0 Members

Offline Liz3511

On my way to ARGC. I am not a morning person (yes, I know I've chosen the wrong clinic for that!) and am therefore very grateful for the largely silent carriage full of sleepy / working people. Should be there at 0907hrs - wonder if I can get my head down without doing something embarrassing like dribbling on my laptop?

I think I got about 30 mins sleep last night - it's not atypical of me when I know I have to get up early, but still a huge pain to lie there knowing that the hours are ticking by towards the alarm clock.

Anyhow, I have a cracking headache and feeling deeply unmotivated for today. I took the day off work so technically don't have to do anything in particular on the train, but have a grant application and research paper to review so might get on with those on the way back. Or browse FF reading back on the ARGC cycle threads over several years to see who got a bfp and who didn't ;) Obviously anecdotal info beats the data on the HFEA website in my mind (at least it's more interesting to read people's stories). It does give me a limited level of hope that with perseverance, most people do get there, one way or another, in the end ...

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline Liz3511

Done, dusted and on the train home. Most of my blood is now in tubes rather than in me, so replenishing with water and sushi.

I seem to have a dominant follicle on left hand side of about 14mm and endometrium is 10mm. I forgot to ask if it was trilaminar but i assume so as it is usually?

Was hoping to have a right side follicle this time as research indicates they are most likely to result in pregnancy, but frankly the chances are low anyway. Apparently ovaries have shrunk back to normal size since last cycle.

I saw Dr Sapna - very smiley. Nurse will call with LH / estradiol results later today. Glad it's all done, and hoping that any follow up appointment can be done remotely!

Offline Liz3511

Estradiol - 390, and LH 8.6

Thyroid panel and ANA etc. should be back in a few weeks - I won't hold my breath, based on other people's experiences of getting results!

Train home was delayed 2 hours. I was secretly delighted as it means I can reclaim the full cost of the return journey - so 68.70, and means that train travel for the entire journey cost only 50. I'm saving up my Nectar points to help pay for further trips down as you can use them against LNER trains ...

The nurse explained ovulation strips to me - I wonder how many people going through a monitoring cycle have genuinely never tracked their ovulation before? I mean, there must be a few and I completely understand why they do it, but I expect most of us could write a small dissertation on the things.

Last year I took part in a trial for Clearblue testing out a new phone-app linked dual hormone ovulation test. It was really interesting ... I do get fed up with using the things, but I think the novelty of doing 'science' with one's own body hasn't completely gone for me yet. I can understand that if they don't 'work' for someone, the novelty must wear off very rapidly indeed though!

Offline Liz3511

CD14 - no sign of LH surge yet although I think oestrogen is rising. DTD yesterday just in case. Really hoping that we can wait till Friday for next DTD as I think P struggles to do 2 days in a row nowadays.

I wish I knew whether a cycle in October/Nov was even a possibility. Hate trying to plan my work diary around something that might not happen ...!

Offline Liz3511

Hmm, wrote too soon - think I just got a positive OPK.

Had a phonecall from ARGC nurse, which was really helpful as I could ask the questions that were buzzing around my head.

1. No automatic need for a follow-up appointment, unless anything unusual arises from the remaining tests yet to be returned to ARGC.

2. We can choose when to cycle - there is no waiting list and they won't turn us down and say that they are too busy.

3. Long protocol typically involves starting down-regulation on CD21-ish; first day to be in London would be around day 5 or 6 after period starts. They would run blood tests to check down-regulation had been successful, then start stimms that day if so.

4. Timing of appointments (daily bloods) quite flexible for the first week of stimms and more intensive thereafter. However, I really didn't stim very long with Serum so I wonder whether my ovaries will behave in a similar way now they are down-regulated.

5. Apparently, antral follicle count observed at scan was about 6 on each ovary plus the dominant follicle ID'd. I'm broadly happy with that as it was basically what we saw before my ICSI cycle with Serum (which resulted in 26 eggs ... so I think my follicles might like to hide).

Not excited about the cost. Quite excited to get going though ...

I can't believe they will want me to give up soy milk though  :-[ - I've read lots of research on this and it's really not clear that it has any negative effect. Maybe I can stick to one small soy decaf latte per day ... I mean, quality of life matters too!!

Offline Liz3511

Okay, so here's a confession.

I'm a rational person who does not believe that there is any good quality evidence to support the peripheral immune hypothesis when it comes to recurrent miscarriage.

And yet ...

On Sunday I asked P what I should do about the immune testing and he advised doing it to put minds at rest / to avoid giving the clinic something to blame if things went wrong.

I went ahead without further argument. I'm just terrified of further miscarriage I suppose. Basically, a coward willing to waste money on the probability that the results would likely come back negative anyhow.

I got an email today, far sooner than I expected, and it said the following:

"We have received your immune results from Chicago and they have been reviewed by Mr Taranissi. I have booked a telephone appointment with one of the doctors to go through the results with you. If you are unable to take a call at that time, please let me know and I can reschedule it, but it may be later in the week."

F*ck, I think this means they found something :(

Does this mean they found something? Surely a nurse would just let me know if everything was negative.

We can't afford IVIG, we literally can't. What if they say it's the only option?

Ugh. This is what happens when you open Pandora's box.

Offline Liz3511

To compound the above, I don't think I've ovulated, despite the LH surge - I usually feel it. I have a scan tomorrow afternoon to see if there's a collapsed follicle / see if the follicle is still there, so will update when I know. I don't suppose it matters in the long term, but I was hoping that this monitoring cycle would go smoothly (and stick to time) to help plan for a potential upcoming cycle.

I suppose immunes may delay everything anyhow!

Offline Liz3511

Scan with Babybond today showed that no follicle bigger than 10mm was visible on left ovary. So it either got smaller or ovulated. Matched with the LH surge and slight change in cervical fluid my money is on having ovulated. Phew ... obviously will confirm with progesterone blood draw later thus week.

Slightly more concerned by endometrium which was apparently only 6.5mm! However I have had a couple of previous thinner than expected endometrial thickness measurements from this particular sonogapher, on this particular scanner. When I went to a different Babybond branch, measurements have seemed fine. So perhaps there isn't need to panic yet. Will try to discuss this during my phone call with the doctor on Tuesday.

P just asked me how optimistic I'm feeling about this working. I don't know. I need to think one step at a time, and jump through the testing hoops first, before I let myself feel anything, even fear ...

Offline Liz3511

Well, bugger.

I called today to try to get a steer on what the immune results were, ahead of a scheduled phonecall with the ARGC doctor tomorrow.

In April my levels of TNF alpha were 19. They are now 39! (upper point of normal range is 30.6)

The nurse wasn't able to interpret the NK cell results so couldn't say anything about them.

How in heaven's name can the results vary so much over 5 months? I know that they were 2 different labs, but I don't buy into the narrative that there's something wrong with the Locus Medicus procedures.

I don't want to do the available treatments and I don't believe that the science is there to support them. They are expensive and time consuming.

Is this the (premature) end of my road with ARGC?

What the hell do I do now?!

Offline Liz3511

Met with my (fab, new) NHS gynae this morning. She was so helpful but my brain is now officially mush ahead of the phonecall with ARGC. She and I went through the Cochrane reviews of immunological treatments for recurrent miscarriage together and she talked to me about Siobhan Quenby's work.

She also recommends ANOTHER clinic, Embyoclinic in Thessaloniki, and says that she acts as a point of contact for patients there re: pre-cycle scans, monitoring after bfp etc.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaah!

I have a rare day off today due to the appointments, so off to a pilates equipment class to try to clear my mind :)