* Author Topic: Over 40 and pregnant chitter chatter  (Read 9459 times)

0 Members

Offline betty21

• Gold Member
modify
Over 40 and pregnant chitter chatter
« Reply #50 on: 30/04/19, 16:48 »
Welcome Pauli - congratulations on your pregnancy all sounds like itís going perfectly for you - I have travelled many times and you donít need to show anything I think around 28-32  is the cut off point depending on which airline for air travel though.

I had my scan this afternoon and all was good - beautiful heartbeat and all in the right position and could see little buds for arms and legs.
Iíve booked in to have the Iona test on 14 May so should get results back in around 5 days - we will find out the sex the added bonus of the test - did you find out strawberry?

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline StrawberrySundae

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #51 on: 30/04/19, 18:18 »
    Welcome Pauli and congrats!  :) My MCís were all OE too, yes fingers crossed for us this time! I agree, I donít think you need a letter for travelling at 20 weeks. A community midwife gave me a sheet to fill out and a form arrived in the post entitling me to free medication at drís & dentist etc, which is useful. Then I think the Mat B form is the one you get around 20 weeks that you can show your employer? I had to tell my line manager the week after starting new locum job as I wasnít able to do all the physical training involved, which felt a bit early telling work at only 8 weeks  :-[ i havenít told any friends or family yet! Hoping they havenít guessed  ;D Am trying to hold out as long as possible after having a previous late loss.

Betty glad you had a lovely scan! So sweet seeing them isnít it 💗 We donít know the sex - I could have found out from my Harmony bloods, but feel a bit silly and superstitious about that too  ::) My DH would love to know, but I daren't find out!

Are either of you thinking of going to the Baby Show next month at the NEC? Iíd like to look at cots etc and feel like a Ďnormalí pregnant person, so have booked tickets  :)

Offline pauli

modify
    « Reply #52 on: 1/05/19, 21:58 »
    Thanks ladies for the welcome and the advice re. travelling. Good to know nothing is required at 20 week stage. 

Congrats Betty on the scan, another step forward! Is Iona test similar to Harmony?

Strawberry, that's exactly why I have not told about the pregnancy at my workplace... the losses we experience make you more anxious about the announcements like that. But fingers crossed that this time it will work! Baby Show, a really good idea to look at everything you might need for a baby in one place. NEC is a bit too far for us to travel, so will have to do some internet research. But any advice on how to choose a pushchair and a car seat will be much appreciated.

We do not know the gender yet, and waiting for 20 week scan seems such a long wait. Not until end of May when I am back to the UK ... so I am thinking to book a private scan now as I am getting really impatient to know if it is a girl or a boy. I would like to think of the baby as "he" or "she". Ultrasound Direct does gender scan from 16 weeks, so thinking about it. Strawberry, are you not tempted to find out?

Any ideas where to look for maternity clothes? I need trousers which are LONG but could not find anything online....     

Offline Shelbo76

modify
    « Reply #53 on: 2/05/19, 07:32 »
    Hey there ladies thought I'd join in, I'm 42 and am 29 weeks today so in the final straight until due date which is getting very scary! This will be my first baby although 2nd pregnancy as had a mmc last year after falling naturally just before we were about to start IVF. Had 1 round of OE IVF in July last year which didn't go so great due to my low ovarian reserve so we moved straight onto DE and had success on our first round. It's been bittersweet as it started off as a twin pregnancy as we transferred 2 embryos had 2 heartbeats at 7 weeks but lost the smaller twin at 9 weeks, however our twin 1 aka Rocky 1 (my partner's surname is Rock) is fighting fit.

Other than my loss everything has gone well so far with pregnancy, no niggles or anything despite my geriatric status ! The only thing was that I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes at 26 weeks but so far am keeping blood sugars under control through diet without the need for medication. Had growth scan last week and baby girl (we found out privately at 17 weeks) is growing in line with 50th percentile (or just under) so no concerns about GD impacting her growth just yet, I will have further scans at 32 and 36 weeks to keep a check on things.  One thing that has been mentioned to me as I've been under consultant led care from the start due to twins (initially) and underactive thyroid is that because I'm over 40 they won't let me go past 40 weeks so if little one doesn't make an appearance before then I will be induced. It hasn't been discussed in any further detail yet but I'm hoping we don't get to that point as I'd like labour to happen naturally as heard labour following inducement can be very intense and painful (but not always the case).

I'm a totally laid back person so am nowhere near sorted with getting things for baby although paid the final balance on travel system yesterday which we're picking up beginning of June. We're also trying to sell.our house! Had hoped we'd be able to sell and move to new house shortly before baby arrives but with 11 weeks (or less!) left that's looking very unlikely but we hope we'll be sorted within a month or 2 of her arrival. With the intended move we've been reluctant to buy too much, especially the big things as nowhere to put them whilst we're having viewings etc. It'd be nice to have a nursery to decorate and to be able to nest but as baby will be in our room for the first 6 months we're not too bothered...just hope I'll have the energy when we do move to sort this out!

Although I'm a bit further along than you it'd be nice to chat to other older mums to be....I definitely don't feel it atm x

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Offline StrawberrySundae

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #54 on: 2/05/19, 10:16 »
    Morning everyone!  :)

Pauli I wear extra long trousers too, have some previous maternity things from Long Tall Sally, Next etc. Have found a few on eBay. There seems to be a bit less choice if youíre tall, but have come across some ok things. Isabella Oliver used to do long legs in leggings, theyíre not cheap but great if in a sale! Some of the travel systems look lovely! Iíve still got a second hand buggy & car seat etc in my loft that was nearly new a few years ago, so Iím hoping itís still ok and the mice havenít been at it! Definitely want a new cot though- I quite fancy the ones that go beside your bed for newborns and then can be adapted into a bigger bed once the baby is a few months old.  Might get buggy out at the weekend to see what it looks like. I might be tempted to find out what weíre having, but putting it off for a while. Iíve had a few private scans, next one at about 19 weeks I think. Not long til your next scan!

Shelbo hi and welcome! 🤗 Very exciting that youíre into your final trimester! How are you feeling? Sorry to hear about your second twin, it seems very common sadly. Glad everything else is going ok with Rocky! :) Does everyone over 40 get the GD test do you know? Iíve struggled to eliminate sugar from my diet, but trying to eat healthily (just lots of it  ::) ) I take 25mcg levothyroxine each day, but hoping to come off it after pregnancy. Iíve got elevated anti thyroid antibodies & nodules, but apparently theyíre fairly common? I had an immune med protocol partly for that and have been avoiding gluten for the last year. Sounds a hectic time to move house, Iím sure it will all come together at the right time and understandable you donít want to get too much stuff until youíve moved. I guess when babies are very little they donít need that much. Good idea ordering stuff in advance though, or paying for it nearer the due date, I hadnít thought of that.

Betty I hope youíre well and having a good week. Have you got any bank holiday plans? Iíve got some studying to do the rest of this week, trying to finish off a course in the next couple of months - was too tired in the first trimester to do anything! X

Offline betty21

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #55 on: 2/05/19, 14:12 »
    Welcome Shelbo - sorry to hear about your twin, exactly the same happened to me with my 2nd pregnancy definitely does make the remaining baby all the more special - I look at my now 3 year old daughter and think she is our miracle baby.

I had my midwife booking in appointment this morning and all went well, I will be consultant led again and the midwife was contacting the diabetic midwife to tell her I was pregnant and she feels they will get me seen earlier than before- I have had GD with all 3 pregnancies and injecting insulin from 16 weeks, she is hoping I will get my 12 week scan in the next 2 weeks - she also wants me on daily fragmin injections in the next 2 weeks as well , doesnít look like Iím going to be avoiding all the injections !

Offline StrawberrySundae

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #56 on: 3/05/19, 15:14 »
    Iím having clexane equivalent injections every night too Betty and am consultant led. Glad your GD is being looked after.

Has anyone put on a lot of weight? Iíve put on at least 7kg since before this round of ivf!!  :-[ I tried to eat less at lunch today and was then absolutely ravenous and probably ate twice as much! Have been looking at pregnancy pillows for better sleep too.

Offline pauli

modify
    « Reply #57 on: 8/05/19, 16:25 »
    Hello ladies
    Shelbo, sorry to hear about the twin. But glad to hear that all is progressing well, and you are managing GD with diet only. I normally have a sweet tooth but funnily since the start of pregnancy I do not crave anything sweet, just proper cooked food and mainly carbohydrates ;-) How is the house sales going? Fingers crossed you find a buyer quickly and would will be able to move quicklyÖ. Sometimes things can get stressful, so hopefully you are not influenced much by it.

Strawberry, thanks for the recommendations re. long trousers. I did some more internet research over the weekend and I found some options. More importantly my sister is sending me a parcel with her pregnancy clothes!
    Did you get the buggy and the car seat from the loft? Hopefully they are still in good order. I will look for second hand travel systems, but I need to know what to look for first ;-) As for the cot, Iíd like the same one Ė next to the bed with a dropped side. Did you find something you like yet?

I am also on 25mcg levothyroxine, and hoping to stop after the pregnancy. I was prescribed it by a fertility Consultant at the start of all investigations due to elevated TSH. Apparently the ďnormalĒ NHS range is up to 5.0 but for the pregnancy they recommend 2.0. So I have been on and off it for a few years keeping TSH a-round 2.0 Ė 2.5. Sorry do not know much about thyroid antibodiesÖ       

Strawberry, I have put more than 7kg! I have put most of it in the first 14 weeks... I was blaming estrogen I was taking until almost 11 weeks or so ;-) 

Betty, sorry to hear you will need more injections but it sounds like you have done it with your previous pregnancies, so hopefully the medical team knows what they are doing. 

I have turned 43 recently and expected to be consultant led due to my age, but no. I have seen mid-wife twice (initial booking appointment and then at 16 week) plus I had 12 week scan in a hospital. I guess I should be glad that all is progressing well so far and I do not need to be seen by a Consultant. I have booked a private scan for Sunday, I will be 18+ weeks as really want to know the gender ;-)

Hope everyone is doing well. Just wanted to ask, have you had the vaccinations offered by NHS? I was offered flu vaccine (but I think it is too late for that one) and a whooping cough one. I plan to get the whooping cough at my 20 week scan in a hospital. Did you have it too / planning to have it? xx

Offline StrawberrySundae

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #58 on: 9/05/19, 12:00 »
    Hello 👋 hope everyone is well.

Pauli thatís nice of your sister to send you some pregnancy clothes. Iíve reorganised my wardrobe and put a load of things in bags that I wonít fit in til after baby is born, am quite enjoying wearing maternity things  :) Itís a relief to hear Iím not the only one gaining lots of weight! A lot of people seem to lose it from bad MS, but I didnít have that kind! I wonder if youíll have a boy if craving more savoury things? Itís hard to guess!  I think getting through the pregnancy is more important than worrying too much about weight, but I might avoid the scales for a while.. By the way no Iím not getting flu vaccine but thinking about whooping cough at about 20 wks too.

My DH didnít get round to getting the buggy out of the loft, maybe weíre still both a bit scared  :-\ I did buy a dream genie pillow for bed though, trying to get used to it! Itís cosy at first but I end up with it hanging out of the bed sometimes  ;D

Iím supposed to be consultant led too but didnít see him today. I feel a bit conspicuous in the antenatal clinic waiting room as everyone looks 20+ yrs younger than me!  :-[ And I hate the constant reminder of all my past losses whenever I see a new person & get asked about it. But glad to have the appointments I suppose. Managed not to cry today at my hosp appt  ::)

Pauli I hope you have a lovely scan and canít wait to hear what youíre having!

I hope everyone else is fine too xx

Offline Blaggy

• Un-Ranked
    modify
    « Reply #59 on: 10/05/19, 17:56 »
    Hi all,

Hoping for some advice - not sure where/which thread is best to ask, apologies if this is the wrong place!

I'm 41 and ready to start IVF again following 2 nhs previous rounds (resulting in my 4 year old). As we are now going privately, not sure how to choose a clinic and wondered if there were any particularly recommended in London for over 40s? How did you go about choosing? So far we have narrowed it down to CRGH (for good results) and the clinic where we had our daughter (Bourn Hall in Cambridge).
    Can anyone point me to a thread or recommend a clinic?
    Many thanks