* Author Topic: Over 40 and pregnant chitter chatter  (Read 9474 times)

0 Members

Offline pauli

modify
Over 40 and pregnant chitter chatter
« Reply #70 on: 31/05/19, 15:59 »
Hello ladies, hope everyone is doing well.

@Strawberry, good to hear your scan last Saturday went well. It is so funny that the baby turns away when being scanned, already showing some attitude ;-). I asked a sonographer if the babies can feel when they are being scanned and react to it by turning away but she could not answer. Thatís amazing that your husband can bring the portable scanning machine home! Must be reassuring to see the baby as often as you need. When is your NHS anomaly scan? Will you be tempted to find out the gender? ;-)   

@Betty, congratulations on your GTT and Iona test results. Hope you are enjoying your holiday in Spain this week.   

I am 21 weeks today, had the anomaly NHS scan yesterday. A big milestone, and a big relief as all is looking ok with the baby. Well, except the belly measurement which is more than 95 percentile according to NHS stats and it could be an indication of gestational diabetes. I will get a blood test to check glucose tolerance that but not until mid-July. I hope he is just a big baby as it was the same with my sisterís baby. Also got the whooping cough vaccination yesterday, and the paperwork from the mid-wife office for my workplace. I will finally tell at work next week. Not sure if any of the colleagues suspect by now (I am wearing loose fitting clothes but belly is unmistakably there), but nobody said anything yet. Maybe they are just very polite or think I put weight on ;-) 

I am feeling baby movements more often now, usually lower down in the pelvic area. I imagine his little feet kicking ;-). He was moving a lot when we had the scan, turning aroundÖ there is still plenty of space in uterus. I get anxious when I do not feel these movements, especially mornings are quiet, sometimes nothing until mid-day. Maybe he is just sleeping in the morning ;-) I guess it is hard to relax at any stage. But trying to stay positive now when we got so far!

How is everyone feeling? I got back from my holiday earlier this week, it was a long haul flight coming back and I still feel tired today. On holiday, I used to take a nap after lunch or at least have some quiet time with a book, so being back to work seems such an effortÖ I had lovely time with my sister and her LO.

Hope everyone is doing well, looking forward to reading your updates, good weekend to everyone who's reading
xx         

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline StrawberrySundae

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #71 on: 2/06/19, 12:20 »
    Hi Pauli, your holiday sounded nice, naps or reading every day, good idea - lovely 😊 Glad to hear your anomaly scan went well. A big milestone definitely! It will be nice to be able to tell your colleagues  :) Iím looking forward to telling our families at the end of this month - must be one of the last to tell everyone! I used my private 19 week scan to check everything was on track. Am holding off on hospital scans til the end of the month too. Holding off finding out the sex if I can as well  ???

I donít really get the percentile measurements that Iíve heard about - is 50% average and what people aim for? My babyís head was measuring a day ahead of the femur measurement. Weíre both tall so I hope baby will be taller than average so s/he feels same as us.

Betty hope youíre well and had a great holiday too!  8) Weíre having a trip to Stratford & little river cruise later this month, hope itís nice weather!

Iím glad to be 20 weeks, yay furthest Iíve ever been!! Still taking lots of precautions and canít wait to get to 24. Weíre getting a new bed soon, so Iíll hopefully feel less guilty hanging onto my pregnancy pillow after that  ;D

Take care all, itís so nice to read other peopleís updates here  :) x

Offline pauli

modify
    « Reply #72 on: 3/06/19, 15:57 »
    Hi Strawberry, glad to hear that everything is progressing well and making it to 20 weeks! Hope June will go quickly for you. You should absolutely wait as long you feel is right for you to tell friends and family about your pregnancy. We have only told those who we met and spend some time together in the last few weeks as it was easier.

Trip to Stratford and a river cruise sounds lovely. When are you going?

Percentile is just a statistical measure, it is similar to percentage. Example: if you are told that your babyís length (or any other measurement) is in 95percentile, it simply means that 95% of the other babies who were measured at the same age are shorter than yours. I do not think you aim for any specific percentile as long as all measurements are in proportion, so you know your baby is progressing / developing ok. On our NHS scan it was just a tummy circumference which was a bit out of the proportion in comparison to other measurements they took; it could be an indication of GD but equally it could be fine (fingers crossed) as it could be a slight error when taking the measurement due to position of a baby, or in the next few weeks things will even out.

I got a letter from the hospital about the appointment with the Consultant mid-June. I think it is just due to the fact of being over 40. Not sure they will do a scan at that appointment (probably not) but it would be nice to have another look at the baby and check the tummy circumference.

We are getting a new bed too! I wanted a bigger bed for a long time. Are you also getting a bigger bed to accommodate your pregnancy pillow ;-))?

How are you feeling in general? I am still fighting tiredness in the afternoon and wish I could have a nap at work ;-))

Hello and good wishes to everyone else xx

Offline StrawberrySundae

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #73 on: 6/06/19, 07:45 »
    Pauli thanks for the information about percentiles, I had been a bit confused! Hope you get to give a scan at your consultant appt this month and all goes well, yes itís so nice to check how baby is doing! Iím really glad to now be feeling little movements, itís reassuring. Feels quite low down like near my bladder sometimes! I saw my consultant on Tuesday, donít have to see him for another 7 weeks but will continue my hosp check ups in the meantime (bloods & swabs!) I told him about having a low lying posterior placenta and he wasnít concerned at all, he said heíd only had to do 1 hysterectomy in 30 years and as Iíll probably be having a caesarean anyway it shouldnít matter too much where the placenta is  ^pray^

Weíre going to Stratford in 2 weeks, am looking forward to a nice little break  :) Going to see a Shakespeare play while weíre there - hope we can understand it  ;D My DH told his mum at the weekend about the pregnancy, he was kind of forced into it as he had to explain why he couldnít visit them (they live abroad) around the time of our due date! She sounded a bit surprised, I wonder if sheíd given up on me after all these years! It will be lovely for her to finally have a grandchild!

So funny youíre also getting a new bed! Canít wait for ours to arrive!  ^jumpin^ Yes got to fit the pillow in the bed, getting a bit of a squeeze!  ;D I know what you mean about wanting to have naps! Iím often very tired too by the afternoon, but not too bad otherwise. Hope it stays that way! Just getting swollen ankles when I drive much  ::)

Have a nice rest of week, letís hope it stays sunny! 🌞 xx

Offline Ellis97

modify
    « Reply #74 on: 7/06/19, 16:29 »
    Hi ladies, hope you donít mind me joining the thread. I am 47 and currently 28 weeks pregnant with my first (and last!) DE IVF baby. I have 3 healthy living children conceived naturally, the youngest was born when I was 43.  Iíve also had 2 mcs and a late loss all in my forties hence the decision to use DE. We were fortunate in that ivf worked first time, and I wish weíd gone down this route years ago.  In all my over 40 pregnancies I think Iíve had every complication known to man except pre-eclampsia, this one no exception despite being healthy and slim pre pregnant. This time itís been a haemorrhage, an infection, cervix issues, femur length concerns and too much amniotic fluid. On top of that a breast cancer scare so a very stressful pregnancy so far.  I thought Iíd escaped Gestational Diabetes this time but apparently they screwed up the 2nd blood test on the GTT so I have to have to do it all over again   :(  I suspect I might well have it as baby has shot up from thr 5th to the 50th percentile in 4/5 weeks with a slightly larger abdomen and I have increased amniotic fluid so all signs.  Iím at high risk anyway as Iíve had it before.  So ready for this baby to be born now but quite a way to go yet  :-\
    I look forward to sharing your journeys and wish you all a happy healthy pregnancy.

Offline StrawberrySundae

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #75 on: 9/06/19, 08:37 »
    Hi Ellis, welcome!  ^wave^

Congrats on your pregnancy and reaching the 3rd trimester, yay! It sounds like youíve had some tough past experiences too, Iím so sorry to hear that  ^hugme^ How lovely youíre now pregnant with a wonderful rainbow baby  :) Like you Iíve tried out all manner of miscarriages  ::) I also had a late loss at 20 weeks and had a naturally conceived blighted ovum one time. Iíve had a preventative stitch done this time, although my cervix was measuring about 6cm at my last scan, so certainly not shortening!  :o Iíve not had a test for gestational diabetes yet, am only 21 weeks so maybe itís too early?

Good luck with your next test Ellis, Iím having general blood tests every 2 weeks just to be safe, but will be so glad when theyíre all behind me! Got a little scar on one arm as Iíve had so many now. Iíve generally had lowish blood pressure all my life (so been a bit prone to fainting!  ::) )so am hoping Iíll also miss pre-eclampsia 🤞🏽Will you be telling your baby or anyone about the donor element? I think Iíd like to tell the child but not anyone else, then itís up to them as s/he grows up.

Hello to Betty, Pauli and anyone else reading, hope youíre all well! Xx

My baby is starting to feel like a little fish moving around inside, itís so strange! The idea of a little human moving about independently whenever s/he wants to is really peculiar!

Offline Ellis97

modify
    « Reply #76 on: 10/06/19, 00:00 »
    Thank you Strawberry Sundae!  Iím sorry youíve had such a rough time too, it really sucks and Iím so pleased everything is looking good this time, you definitely deserve it.   Iím glad you had the stitch done as I think itís good they play it safe. I thought they were going to give me one as apparently my cervix is quite low, but after a cervical length scan they decided I didnít need one. I think Iíd have felt happier if theyíd done it anyway. Rainbow pregnancies are so stressful!  As for the GTT test,  they are routinely done around 28 weeks in high risk women  (unless youíve had GD before in which case they do an early test too).  What are your blood tests for? Iím having loads too as theyíre monitoring my antibodies, the blood clinic is like a second home  ;D  I donít have a scar though (yet!). Iíve also had low blood pressure all my life, like my mum and daughters so true to form with the hereditary thing. Iíve been known to keel over too!  Mine usually sits around 90/60 as the norm, however Iím not sure that means being exempt from pre-eclampsia as my mum had it when pregnant with my brother.  Thankfully Iíve never had high blood pressure in any of my pregnancies so hoping it wonít be an issue this time. Are you taking mini aspirin as a precaution?
    In answer to your question about the donor side of things, we havenít told a single person and are unsure whether to tell the child or not when sheís older. On one hand I hate having Ďsectretsí yet on the other hand I donít want to raise unnecessary issues for her like never knowing where she came from genetically if you get what I mean.  Our recent 4D scan showed she looks exactly like my husband and youngest two (amazing how you can see their features so clearly!) so Iím hoping there will be no dead giveaway, as that did cross my mind. Iíve had bizarre dreams about bucked teeth and enormous nose babies  ;D  They say the donors are well matched but I think they concentrate more on blood group, height, build and eye colour more than facial features? Thereís a lot to think about isnít there!  Did you use just a donor egg too or have a double donor? 
    Have you had your anomaly scan yet?  xx

Offline pauli

modify
    « Reply #77 on: 10/06/19, 14:18 »
    Hello ladies
    Strawberry, good to hear that all is well and you do not need to see Consultant for a while. What are they testing with the regular bloods and swabs? My placenta is also low lying at the moment, but was told at the 20 week scan that in the 3rd trimester it will move away from the cervix with the growth of the uterus. So not worried about it just yet. Theyíve booked me for a scan around 34 weeks to check. If all ok, I will be able to have a natural birth.       

I feel the movements also mostly low down near the bladder, only on a few occasions he flips around and I can feel his legs underneath my ribs ;-) Strawberry, I like your comparison to a fish ;-) My uterus was tipped backwards to start with, so I never had a frequent urination symptom like many experience in the early pregnancy. But I do now! I wake up at least once a night now which for me is very unusual. I think the uterus is sitting on my bladder ;-)   

Welcome Ellis, good to have you on the thread. It must be lovely to have a big family. Sorry to hear about all the complications you have experienced so far. Hopefully no more issues and wishing you a healthy 3rd trimester. 

This is our first baby, after years of failed IVF treatments and 2 miscarriages last year, we were lucky that DE route worked for us on at the first attempt too. It is a complex question: telling or not telling about the donor conception (I think there is a separate thread her on FF I remember reading a while back).

My view is the same as Strawberryís Ė only to tell the child (although not sure when the time would be right) and it is up to them to tell anyone else as it is their story to tell. This might not be entirely possible anymore for us though. I was very upset when my sister (who lives abroad) told some of our relatives (also living abroad) that we had a successful DE IVF! I have never even mentioned to them that we were having IVF treatment! It was at the time we only found we had BFP. My sister was the only one who knew about our treatment. We are quite close as we have no immediate family anymore. I just could not believe she would have done it, I even told her about what we had only planned to tell the child and nobody else Ö It took me weeks to even talk to her againÖ today we are ok, but we do not mention it. It is really just thanks to her little one (our nephew) we connected through. I was there when he was born so feel a very strong connection towards him. But even today when I think about the mess she had created by telling the relatives about DE IVF and the potential consequences for our family, I get upset and annoyed.

I also understand where you are coming from, Ellis. Things will get more complicated. Especially as your daughter might feel ďdifferentĒ from your other children. But it would depend very much on her personality how she would process the information. There is still plenty of time for you to decide. Do your other children know about DE?

Ladies, I need an advice on GTT. I think routinely it is done at 28 weeks, right? At our 20 week scan I was told to book it earlier a few weeks (due to the tummy measurement). Due to our holiday I can have it done at 24 weeks or 27 weeks. . Should I try to book it at 24 weeks or would it be too early? Any insights are much appreciated.
    xxx   

Offline StrawberrySundae

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #78 on: 13/06/19, 18:35 »
    Hello 👋 I hope everyone is well this rainy week! ☔️ Iím glad to have a few warm maternity clothes!

Ellis thanks for explaining when GT tests are done, maybe mine will be around 28 weeks then. My blood tests are mainly routine ones that the surgeon who did my stitch suggested when I asked him (he might not have said to have any otherwise) - mainly to rule out infections, as I had BV with my 20 wk loss. Same with the swabs. Thankfully all ok so far. Iíve been swallowing high potency probiotics the whole pregnancy! And trying to eat healthy stuff, but I do still eat too much chocolate & sweet stuff I think. I started a gluten-free diet early last year as I discovered I had elevated anti thyroid antibodies & nodules in my neck, which some research suggests gluten can make worse, but Iím intending to resume normal food containing gluten after my pregnancy and come off the 25mcg Levothyroxine too. I am also on baby aspirin! I might have the hosp anomaly scan at 24 weeks if itís not too late? Had a private one at 19 & another just before 24 wks though. How lovely your 3D scan sounded, ah! 💗

After talking about the donor side of things with my husband he now thinks better to tell the child once itís older, to avoid unsettled teenage years, so Iím not too sure now. Definitely not discussing it with family though. I donít see how it canít come up as a topic of conversation, as my mum was always talking about who me & my siblings took after etc. No rush I suppose. We had double donor. Yes sometimes we joke about whether our LO will have a Greek nose! I agree itís more the colourings that seem to get matched, how on earth can facial features be matched, like cheekbones or shape of mouth etc? It will just be really interesting to see what our babies look like and what preferences & talents they end up having!  :)

Pauli yes it sounds like low lying placentas are quite common at this stage. I always wanted to be very natural about everything Iím my life, itís funny how things change! I now really appreciate modern technology  ;D I will probably have a c section at same time as getting stitches removed, but you never know!  :o Iím so glad DE worked first time for you, such a relief! I have no misgivings about using donors whatsoever now, Iím so grateful itís possible! In the past I felt differently, but after so many miscarriages I was really glad to have a better chance. Iím sorry to hear about your sister sharing your personal information like that, Iíd have hated it too  :-[ I wish folk would be more thoughtful sometimes. People donít think when itís not them going through it.  Itís funny to think of your baby boy flipping over, they get really active at times donít they! I had a fizzy drink last night and had 2 really big kicks soon after, not sure s/he liked the bubbles!  ;D Re your GT test, are you likely to be classed as high risk? You could always have 2 tests? Maybe see how you feel?

By the way does anyone know if itís ok to eat ice cream, as I keep feeling guilty for making the baby cold! What do you ladies think? Iím counting the days down til the end of the month, it will be a relief to tell my family the news! My new bed is arriving tomorrow, I canít wait!

Have a good weekend everyone! Xx

Offline pauli

modify
    « Reply #79 on: 19/06/19, 12:07 »
    Hi Strawberry, I know what you mean by wanting to go natural about everything. Before we started the IVF treatment, I would refuse even ibuprofen for the back pain! I did not need antibiotics since I was a kid and then on one of the IVF cycles, you are told to take antibiotics just because it is a part of the protocol!

I feel the same, very grateful about having an option to have DE (DS or DD) treatment as not so many years ago, it was not possible. Itís interesting that your DH is in favour of telling the child about donor conception later in life. I can see why it might work better for the child. We have not discussed yet with my DH what age would be right.

I had an appointment with a Consultant last week, it was very short (5mins) as there was not much to discuss, and they did not do the scan sadly. I think the Consultants have to see all expectant women who are over 40 just as a part of the NHS guidelines. I asked about GTT and when to do it. Consultant was not concerned about GT as she thought the baby belly size was in line with others measurements. So no need to do GTT before 28 weeks. One good thing that came out of the appointment is that I will have another scan at about 28 weeks (I think to check on low placenta). It will be good to see the baby again and hopefully all will be well, fingers crossed.

I think the ice cream is ok as long as it is pre-packed / from shops. I was warned about the ice cream- vans. Apparently their soft ice-creams can be contaminated by bacteria which can be present in the ice-cream making machine. It is probably completely harmless for majority of their customers but pregnant women whose immune system is suppressed can get infected.

How are you feeling? End of the June will be here in no time. Still getting swollen feet when driving? Your holiday must be near now! Hope you have a lovely time. What about your new bed, is it as good / big as expected? ;-) Our bed will not be ready until September. I wanted a big size which is rarely sold in shops (in the UK), so found a furniture maker who is making the bed based on our design. It is a fairly simple design, an oak frame.     

Hello to everyone else, hope everyone is doing well xx