* Author Topic: Over 40 and pregnant chitter chatter  (Read 9458 times)

0 Members

Offline StrawberrySundae

• Gold Member
modify
Over 40 and pregnant chitter chatter
« Reply #80 on: 20/06/19, 19:48 »
Hi Pauli, yes I used to refuse headache tablets as well & hardly had any antibiotics in my life until I started IVF! Iíve had loads during the cycles but hope that can be it for a long time after this pregnancy! Itís a shame you didnít get a scan last week, but sounds like things are very normal and healthy so your consultant isnít worried. Same with the GD. I asked about it this week and was told Iíd probably have it at 28 weeks but I canít remember now if that was only some women or including me. I think pregnancy brain is real!  ^idiot^

Thanks for the reassurance about ice cream, yes I wonít be having any Mr Whippy! Plus I suppose itís melted by the time it gets near baby! Iím still quite tired a lot, especially in the evening, sleep and feet are a bit up and down, but could be worse and Iím really enjoying the new bed! Lovely mattress, nice new side-sleeper pillow and feels enormous  ;D Yours sounds even bigger! Is it Queen size? I love wooden frame beds, but I was attracted to a big ottoman style one with loads of storage space underneath and a nice sort of linen buttoned headboard  :) We went for superking since we were bothering! Am off to Stratford tomorrow (just a weekend break), just hope the hotel bed is just as good! I hope youíre doing well Pauli and have a nice weekend ahead too  :)

Hi to everyone else, hope everyone is ok xx

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline Ellis97

modify
    « Reply #81 on: 3/07/19, 15:36 »
    Hi ladies, sorry Iíve not been on here for a while, life has been pretty hectic.  I also have Gestational Diabetes after them messing up my GTT and telling me I didnít  have it when I did. So going for weeks with it untreated has been worrying to say the least.  Iím now on insulin and will be induced in about 6 weeks time at 38 weeks so not much longer thankfully, itís sure been one tough and stressful pregnancy.

Pauli:  Congratulations on your baby, Iím so pleased for you. What your sister did was out of order, that really does suck. I guess youíre left with no choice now but to tell your child seeing as other family members might say something before you do!  Itís good you already feel thatís what you want to do but even so.  No my kids donít know itís DE, just IVF (which very few people know). My husband and I are the only ones that know itís DE and we prefer to keep it that way (I think your story is a prime example of one of the reasons why!).  We will probably have another discussion later in life about telling her or not. If she looks like her siblings and there is nothing to raise questions I donít see the point in giving her an issue like that to process. On the other hand I see yours and Strawberryís view too. Itís a tricky one for sure.
    I hope you passed the GTT,  Diabetes is so stressful as it is but I canít imagine being on this diet whilst on holiday!  Hope you had a nice time anyway xx

Strawberry:  Sounds like you are doing all you can to ensure this baby his healthy. Iím so sorry for your previous loss. Yes itís a tricky issue re if and when to tell your child they arenít genetically yours as Iíve just said to Pauli above.  I guess we have a few years to ponder that one  :)  Yes it will be intriguing to see their personalities coming out, exciting times ahead! xx

Offline StrawberrySundae

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #82 on: 12/07/19, 18:43 »
    Hi Ellis, good to hear youíre past 32 weeks now - not long to go now  :) Sorry about the GD though  ^hugme^ I hope the insulin injections arenít too bad? Is it injections or tablets? I sure wonít miss the nightly tinziparin injections! (like clexane) even tho my hubby kindly does them for me and I can relate to having a stressful pregnancy. Iíll probably have my GTT test in 1.5 weeks when I next see my consultant (hopefully have my antiD etc then too. Not been offered whooping cough yet). I feel sad for not being more cheerful sometimes but very grateful to be where I am and just trying to get through each week  ::)

Anyway wishing you all the best and let us know how the next few weeks go for you, nearly there!

Hope everyone else is doing well xx

Offline Ellis97

modify
    « Reply #83 on: 13/07/19, 15:16 »
    Hi Strawberry, Iím on tablets and injections, a constant intake of something or other day and night. Trying to manage all that with reading blood sugar levels, iron tablets 3x daily on an empty stomach and mini aspirin on a full stomach can be quite daunting at times. I feel like my head is spinning half the time. Oh well, not long to go now. Is clexane a blood thinner?  Iím thinking it might be the injections I had to do for a week or so after my last 2 babies.  I assume youíre around 28 weeks if you have your anti D and GTT coming up? Strange youíve not been offered the whooping cough jab, Iíd definitely question that as one of the midwifes forgot to tell me about it in my last pregnancy.  Donít worry though as itís still not too late to have it.
    I know what you mean about being grateful to be where youíre at and trying to get through each week.  Itís a long journey but will be so worth it.
    I have my growth scan this week so Iím just hoping the high blood sugar levels havenít caused any problems as Iíve been over at some point most days this week, itís so hard to control and I canít eat any less than I am doing. Hopefully Iíll get some reassurance this week. Baby is certainly very active which is a good sign I believe. Also looking forward to seeing what position sheís in, Iíll be nearly 34 weeks when I have the scan so hoping for a head down   :)
    Hope you get on okay with your upcoming appts, will keep an eye out for your update xx

Offline StrawberrySundae

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #84 on: 18/07/19, 18:09 »
    Hi Ellis,

How did your growth scan go? Was head down? Very exciting! Iíve got a hospital scan coming up soon, have managed to put off having NHS scans til now so bit nervous. Well done and keep going with remembering all the tablets & injections! I discovered my consultant had made a mistake with my progesterone pessaries & id been having double the dose!  :o Not sure how many weeks for but I was a bit cross and wondered if that had contributed to feeling so lethargic? Managed to find some of the right dose but nearly run out now. Iím going to take a list of Qís with me next week to ask when I see the consultant (Iím sure heíll love that!  ::) )

Iím coming up to 27 weeks and couldnít resist ordering a baby bouncer/swing thing from Mothercare. It looks so cosy and fun! I also bought a few basic clothes in case baby is early (but hopefully not this early as they wonít fit anyway!) My mum is visiting this weekend, itís the first time sheís seen me since the 2WW and as pregnant as this, so will be interesting   :)

Pauli hope youíre well too! And anyone else here xx

Offline pauli

modify
    « Reply #85 on: 19/07/19, 10:20 »
    Hello ladies,
    Apologies for disappearing for a few weeks. We went for a holiday with DH, travelled by car to Dolomites in northern Italy (it is absolutely lovely there, we have been a number of times in the past). DH was mainly cycling, I managed to do short walks (I am so unfit, I get out of breath so quickly when going up the hill!), so used a lot of gondolas / cable cars to enjoy the views and scenery from the tops. I was grateful for the pool which was part of the complex we stayed, swimming seems to help with the swollen ankles. We also visited friends further south in Italy and in Zurich on the way back. Quite a bit of time spent in a car travelling, so ended up with my feet / ankles got swollen (!), but we had a really good time.

Ellis, so sorry to hear about your GTT and the delayed diagnosis. I understand how worrying it is but hopefully all will be well, it is under control now and you have a plan for your delivery. I hope they are taking a good care of you after the anxiety they caused you. Not long to go, about 2 weeks? How did your scan go this week? Is she head down? Fingers crossed all will go well with delivery. Keep us posted.           

Strawberry, I remember you were waiting for the end of June to tell a few friends / family members about the pregnancy. Hope you felt confident to share your news by now. Well done for buying first few pieces of clothes for the baby and a bouncer. I feel the pressure to start organizing a few things, I only have a few pieces of clothing and started knitting a baby cardigan ;-) 

GTT is usually done about 28 week mark, just ask at your next appointment, not sure if every pregnant lady does it (my indication was a big size of a baby belly at 20 week scan) Also ask about whopping cough vaccine, itís not too late to have that one. My midwife asked me just this week about it. I had it at my 20 week NHS scan in a hospital, so she just wanted to make sure.

Are you still taking progesterone? Whatís the main reason? I thought once placenta takes over (somewhere around 11 Ė 12 weeks), progesterone can be stopped. I think it is possible that progesterone can make you feel lethargic, but I think there are no harmful effects of high progesterone. My clinic wanted me to take IM injections of progesterone in oil which I dreaded (I took them on one of the BFN cycles for only 2 weeks but my but was sore for months!), in their view they are the best in delivering progesterone. For my DE FET I opted for Lubion as subcutaneous injection, and in addition I supplemented with pessaries (without discussing it with the clinic). I never checked the levels, I thought at times I could be getting too high of a dose but I remember reading that body will absorb only as much as it needs.       

Glad to hear you are enjoying the new bed ;-) It sounds very comfy! Ours will be ďemperor sizeĒ (2m x 2m), just having a bit delay. The carpenter making is has injured his knee and is having operation next week Ö nut still hoping it can be finished & delivered by mid-September. Just starting to research mattresses, they are a bit more difficult to source due to the bigger size.         

Enjoy your time with your mom this weekend! Have you made some plans? Hope you have a good time. I wish my mom was still here, she has passed 5 years ago but still missing her a lot. Especially now. 

All fine with us at the moment, 28 weeks today, yay! I guess thatís officially 3rd trimester. I passed GTT this week which I am very grateful for, they did some other bloods and all seems well. Midwife checked all the usual things, all ok, so no complaints except painful feet, it must be the extra weight my feet have to carry! I think I put more weight than recommended but midwife was kind and said I was fine ;-)   

Planning a research trip to the shops this weekend. We need to make a decision about a pram and a car seat. I spent some time looking online, but I feel I need to see these things in a shop, try to handle them (e.g. fold frame etc). When on holiday, BabyJogger / City Elite pram was a very frequent one used by families. You could even hire them. They are meant to handle all different terrain, not too pricey either (in comparison to some other ones I have seen online). They are not as popular in the UK, but hoping to see try them in a shop. The choice is so big. What prams are you using ladies?       

Have a lovely weekend everyone xx

Offline Claudia H

• Gold Member
    • no regrets
    modify
    « Reply #86 on: 22/07/19, 06:19 »
    Hello everyone, Iím not sure if this thread is still active but I got a BFP last week so very newly pregnant with number 2. Iím 42.

Would love to chat to any other 40+ - ers who are expecting...

X

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Ellis97

modify
    « Reply #87 on: 22/07/19, 23:21 »
    Hi Claudia  :)  Congratulations on your pregnancy. I had my third child at 42, conceived naturally and he was/is perfectly healthy.   I wish you a stress free and easy pregnancy.

Pauli:  Glad you passed the dreaded GTT,  you must be so relieved. When is your next scan?  I have 3-4 weeks before being induced but baby is in a transverse lie  :(  If she doesnít spin in the next few weeks I will have to have a C section so really hoping she complies!  The diabetes is a struggle tbh, they keep upping my insulin as I canít seem to tolerate anything at dinner time... Iím so hungry!  Iím being monitored closely though which is reassuring and babyís growth is still steady which is good. I keep telling myself all this will be worth it in the end  :)

Strawberry:  Aw the shopping is so much fun isnít it, takes your mind off the unpleasant aspects of pregnancy. How exciting!  I hope you had a nice weekend with your mum.  My growth scan went well thank you, although madam kept kicking the cord so they struggled to measure the blood flow to the placenta. I was told it looked normal though. Sheís measuring just above the 50th percentile so still consistent. However, she isnít head down which is really disappointing, sheís actually transverse  :(  If she doesnít turn in the next few weeks I will have to have a C section so really hoping she has spun round by my next scan next week! 
    Thatís very poor you were given the wrong dose of progesterone!  Iím led to believe you can never have too much though so better that than not enough (which couldíve been disastrous!).

Offline StrawberrySundae

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #88 on: 23/07/19, 21:35 »
    Hi everyone  ^wave^ and welcome & congrats Claudia!  :) Wishing you well and hope the days fly by until your first scan.

Pauli it sounds like you had a beautiful holiday! I hope your swollen ankles have gone down. My feet have been very puffy this week! My mum told me to put my legs up against a wall and lie next to it, but belly is getting a bit big for that  ;D Iím sorry to hear about your mum not being here, Iím sure sheíd be so proud and happy for you  ^hugme^

Welcome to the 3rd trimester, yay! Iíll be there too next week  :) Am going to ask my midwife about the whooping cough vaccine when I next see her, as itís a bit risky having baby with no immunity coming into winter & they canít have the vaccine until 2 months old 🤔 Yes Iím still taking progesterone, a couple of consultants recommended I have it the whole pregnancy (think I can stop at 33 weeks now) - partly as I had placental abruption previously & I think generally itís supposed to support the placental functioning & pregnancy generally? Iím not totally sure! Pauli your bed sounds totally awesome! Wow Iíve never heard of emperor size, youíll love it! 😍 Iíve started looking at travel systems too, quite like Maxi Cosi, but not buying til next month probably

Ellis glad your growth scan went well, apart from your little girl kicking the cord! Very mischievous  :) I had a scan today too and felt so relieved afterwards, things ok & the right size etc. Baby was head down but Iím still having a c section! S/he still was facing away from the scanner so I had another look at the back of her/his head and spine  ;D I took my list of questions for my consultant and he was really nice and helpful today. Good luck, I hope your baby turns very soon.

My trip to Scotland has been cancelled as my family & DH have all decided itís too risky for me, since the nearest hospital up in the Scottish highlands is 70+ miles away. I was so disappointed  :-[ and fed up  ^bigbad^ as I was really looking forward to going and lifeís been so boring just working, studying and mainly being at home  ::) I suppose things will change once the baby arrives!

Anyway hope you all manage to stay cool & well this week in the mini heatwave weíre having! Xx

Offline StrawberrySundae

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #89 on: 26/07/19, 08:41 »
    Just a quick question - when have/are you all buying the baby things you need? Iíve started getting the stuff we need in case baby is early and Iíve only got a few more weeks of getting paid. Not sure if Iíve got too much at this stage (coming up to 28 weeks)! :-\

Just wondered what others are doing x