* Author Topic: Family history of the donor (grandparents)  (Read 1052 times)

0 Members

Offline magicpillow

• Gold Member
Hi, I'm currently sourcing donor sperm for our next round which will also be with donor eggs.  We've used donor sperm twice before with my own eggs and used London Sperm Bank but I'm looking at a couple of other ones too now.  I'm just wondering how much people look into the family history if available?  On a couple of the sperm banks I'm looking at, you can see what the family medical history is and there is one donor we are interested in but all but one of his grandparents died in their 70s of leukaemia, lung cancer and dementia.   His parents don't have anything on their medical history and I'm really not sure how much to read into these conditions with the grandparents....it's hard to know sometimes.   Of course with our sperm from the London bank the last two times, we didn't have access to that amount of information.

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline bombsh3ll

• Gold Member
    • 50% science, 50% prayer, 100% love.
    modify
    Family history of the donor (grandparents)
    « Reply #1 on: 8/12/18, 18:07 »
    Personally I didn't want to know anything other than that my egg donor was healthy, aesthetically plausible and met the clinic's screening requirements in terms of heritable diseases, because I believe most of what happens in life is down to luck & chance no matter how much we want to or think we can control it, & my own family tree doesn't contain particularly desirable genes health wise either so on balance I was probably getting an upgrade regardless.

However, in your position I would definitely not be put off by the history of this donor's grandparents. Whilst there are genetic factors implicated in Alzheimer's, this is complex and one elderly grandparent wouldn't cause me to lose any sleep (in fact my grandmother, aunt and now dad 78 have it) I still don't worry, they were/are old and had happy lives. You have actually written dementia, which could include vascular dementia rather than Alzheimer's - vascular tends to be more lifestyle induced and therefore risk is somewhat modifiable. Likewise lung cancer - very few non smokers get this. Leukaemia does not seem to have any strong heritable risk, it is largely sporadic.

In any case, getting past three score & ten really isn't bad, whatever you go from. Plus, by the time your child gets to 70 there are likely to be significant advances in treatment for these conditions that there aren't or weren't at the time the donor's grandparents died.

I would just go for it & good luck!

B x

Offline Me, Myself and I

• Gold Member
    • Single Mother By Choice
    modify
    « Reply #2 on: 9/12/18, 06:15 »
    I Used cryos and will readily admit that any health issue of donors or relatives ruled them out for me. For me, my take was in cannot prevent my child having xyz afflictions in the long term,  but I could reduce the odds. Though I went full hog and even ruled out glasses wearers!

If I was to have needed another donor I readily admit I would do the same.

Fwiw my lo has had some issues, and know that had these been at all attributable to the donor information provided I would have carried huge guilt.

Hth and good luck.

Offline magicpillow

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #3 on: 9/12/18, 17:03 »
    Thanks so much ladies, I can resonate with what both of you said, even though they were opposite opinions.  For a while I was thinking of not going with that particular donor but because everything else with him matched us so well and we've found it so hard to find a suitable donor, we've gone with him.  Like you say Bombsh3ll, those conditions could be a result of lifestyle issues or other random factors and aren't necessarily inheritable.   I do completely understand where me, myself and I is coming from too though.

We've gone ahead with this donor now and ordered so fingers crossed!!

Offline Me, Myself and I

• Gold Member
    • Single Mother By Choice
    modify
    « Reply #4 on: 10/12/18, 06:50 »
    Thanks so much ladies, I can resonate with what both of you said, even though they were opposite opinions.  For a while I was thinking of not going with that particular donor but because everything else with him matched us so well and we've found it so hard to find a suitable donor, we've gone with him.  Like you say Bombsh3ll, those conditions could be a result of lifestyle issues or other random factors and aren't necessarily inheritable.   I do completely understand where me, myself and I is coming from too though.

We've gone ahead with this donor now and ordered so fingers crossed!!

Good luck and fingers crossed xxx