* Author Topic: PGS again after a PGS baby that had to be terminated  (Read 2358 times)

0 Members

Offline CurlyGirl1225

• Gold Member
Hi

Iím still struggling to decide what to do.

Iím about to start my last and final fresh donor ivf cycle with a new donor

Since moving to our excellent Spanish clinic Iíve used pgs on both fresh donor cycles. However at 13 weeks I had to terminate due to abnormalities despite chromosomes being normal.

So now I approach a new cycle Iím wondering what the point of spending £3k on pgs when we went through what we did this year.

£3k is a lot of money when Iím not sure of the benefit.

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline bombsh3ll

• Gold Member
    • 50% science, 50% prayer, 100% love.
    modify
    PGS again after a PGS cycle that had to be terminated
    « Reply #1 on: 17/12/18, 13:38 »
    Hi CurlyGirl1225,

I'm sorry for the loss of your previous treasured pregnancies. Can I ask if there was a particular reason for using PGS on your previous donor cycles? It is not standard and significantly adds to the cost of treatment. Is there a particular hereditary condition on your husband's side? I can understand it if you were using your own eggs due to your age, although even then over 40's don't usually generate enough good quality embryos to screen some out & be left with any, but not with a donor.

Two lots of PGS could nearly pay for another donor cycle. One PGS could pay for a donor embryo cycle. Unless your husband is believed to have a particular genetic issue, I wouldn't consider it warranted, especially as it didn't prevent you going through what you did last time. Donors in Spain are young and required to be free from any known heritable diseases.

I wish you the best of luck whatever you decide with your next cycle. There are always "what ifs", but infertility treatment really is just a cruel game of roulette that nobody deserves to have to play.

B x

Offline CurlyGirl1225

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #2 on: 17/12/18, 13:50 »
    Hi

Thank you for your words today. No known hereditary issues however he had borderline high diploid sperm. Which I believe is a higher than average number of poor quality ones. We all know there is an amount of poor quality in any mans sperm but apparently his was slightly higher than average.

My issue is that the game of roulette, as you say,  still needs to be played and at anyoneís 12 week scan thereís a risk. Iím just unsure if itís beneficial given itís not 100% accurate anyway?

Offline HallfridurK

• Un-Ranked
    modify
    « Reply #3 on: 19/12/18, 15:25 »
    Iím so sorry that happened to you. What did the clinic say? Do they have an explanation? I can see why you feel conflicted. Iíve gone through a late loss (baby was fine, my cervix was not) and will pay just about any amount to minimize risk of losing another baby so For that reason I will have my DE embryos tested. For me itís worth the money, just knowing I did everything I could and knowing that PGS testing only slightly improves my odds when using DE.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

modify
    « Reply #4 on: 19/12/18, 15:33 »
    I can see that you mentioned you haf fresh cycles...does it mean it was a day 3 testing? If so, day 3 trsting is unreliable because they only take one cell to test unlike testing of bladtocysts were more cells are tested. I had a day 3 embryos tested and got 3 female obes to be healthy. Fortunately, they were left to develop till day 5 along the other "abnormal" embryos. I asked the lab to retest them. Two embryos out of those 3 healthy ones were abnormal and from the"abnormal" ones, we had another healthy male embryo.

Offline bombsh3ll

• Gold Member
    • 50% science, 50% prayer, 100% love.
    modify
    « Reply #5 on: 20/12/18, 18:51 »
    Sorry if this isn't for you but just wanted to throw it out there -

If there's an issue with the sperm (I take it you are already using ICSI) would DS not be a better & cheaper way around the issue with a much lower chance of producing abnormal embryos?

B x

Offline CurlyGirl1225

• Gold Member
    modify
    PGS again after a PGS baby had to be terminated
    « Reply #6 on: 21/12/18, 22:47 »
    Hi

Iím not actually sure which day the pgs was tested from ? Good point though, Iíll ask.

As for DS I donít think my husband wants to do that and I get it.  He feels its his only link, i grew the baby for 9 months, had transfusions like you so an egg is nothing. Sheís totally mine. He wants some genetic link and I get that. 

Offline CurlyGirl1225

• Gold Member
    modify
    PGS again after a PGS tested baby had to be terminated
    « Reply #7 on: 2/02/19, 15:58 »
    Anyone considering PGS there are some very interesting  You Tube videos from The Centre of Human Reproduction on line

Offline Londonwriter

modify
    « Reply #8 on: 2/02/19, 16:31 »
    Hi Curlygirl,

Iím so sorry about your loss  :(

I just popped onto the thread as Iím currently due to do a freeze-all PGS cycle. Weíve thought a lot about whether PGS is right for us, and Iím really confused about why youíre being recommended PGS on a DE cycle.

Just to clarify my situation. Iím basically old (39) with long-term subfertility, which remains mostly unexplained despite numerous tests (e.g. karotyping). I have a high AFC (12-15) for my age, and my consultant recommended PGS because he expected me to get a fair few embryos that might be completely crap. He also wanted to ensure that he could distinguish potential IVF failure due to implantation failure from IVF failure due to crap embryos. He didnít want me to undergo multiple useless FETs as I donít have much time before I hit 40.

The guy who runs the Centre for Human Reproduction is an outspoken and major critic of PGS - it is a controversial technology. Iíve read his comment pieces and watched his videos and most of the situations donít really apply to me - from what we knew at our initial consultation, anyhow. He is right, however, that if you are an older lady with very low AFC, thereís no point in throwing away mosaic embryos - you may as well put everything back.

None of these reasons apply to donor egg... youíre simply not time or egg limited and thereís no reason to do diagnostic tests to work out if you have implantation failure due to lining problems or abnormal eggs. If youíre failing with DE, you can be assumed to have either rubbish sperm or a lining/implantation problem.

Offline CurlyGirl1225

• Gold Member
    modify
    PGS again after a PGS baby had to be terminated
    « Reply #9 on: 2/02/19, 17:57 »
    Hi LW. Youíre right he is very passionate about his opinions and I have since last July when we had to terminate a donor egg baby that had PGS chromosomes screened and was ok. I therefefore doubt the benefits greatly.

Our position is my husband has slightly highly than average diploid (abnormal) sperm. Slightly  Obviously donor is young and fine. So they recommended PGS. We conceived our DD so accepted it was the right choice. Then last year a second DEIVF cycle I got pregnant. Wk 14 after loads of tests and consultations I had to terminate as the baby had multiple problems. Post mortum declaired chromosomes were ok so PGS worked. But what did we gain from spending £3.5k and discarding 3 embryos and terminating our son.  It was hell.

So now we have a new donor match thatís younger. Iím sad itís not going to be a true sibling but hey ho. And so I face the PGS decision.  Also I have history of losing embryos on thaw so Iím keen do do a fresh cycle.

PGS is controversial.  Itís not proven and anomalies and inaccuracies can happen. I know that first hand. I think I am in agreement with CRH